Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
- - By Newton [de] Date 2013-05-29 19:24
Short notice: I am currently still refactoring and fixing the pump, so please do not touch it.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-05-30 21:22
Zapper, could you check out the pumpfix branch and test the pump? I am done with the refactoring and the pump works so far except for the power usage. The pump only gets the callback OnEnoughPower and never OnNotEnoughPower even though it consumes power all the time.

the version currently in the branch still has debug logs and messages on, so it should be easy for you to see what the pump currently does or tries to do.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-30 22:00

>and never OnNotEnoughPower even though it consumes power all the time.

Maybe you have enough power all the time? *shrug*

I'll have a look at it, sure
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-05-30 23:20
I didn't even build a flag or a wind generator.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-30 23:35
O_o
Did you play with the no-power-usage-rule?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-05-31 00:18
I played in Minimal.ocs, so no
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-31 07:05
Well, now that is weird! But good to know, I hope I can reproduce that
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-31 20:33
ERROR: '->': no function "CanInsertMaterial" in object "Object(81)".
by: Object(81)->HasLiquidToPump() (Objects.ocd\Structures.ocd\Pump.ocd\Script.c:356)
by: Object(81)->CheckState() (Objects.ocd\Structures.ocd\Pump.ocd\Script.c:255)

@.@ *fix*
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-31 21:21 Edited 2013-05-31 21:26
-> Pump::GetDrainObject()->CanInsertMaterial(Material("Water"),0,0)
= true
-> Pump::GetDrainObject()->InsertMaterial(Material("Water"))
= false

In one paused frame. SvenNewton, how is that possible? :/
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-31 21:37
Fixed now (except for the CanInsertMaterial/InsertMaterial thing). I did not remove the debug-messages etc. yet. You could quickly test it again to see whether I missed anything and then merge it back to master.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 16:46
Hmm, your fix looks more like a workaround of a bug in the power system than a fix. What you did is delay the state checks and set the power producer/consumer states conditionally only when they really changed. Shouldn't the Make/Unmake Power Producer/Consumer be robust enough that you can set the states even if everything stays the same?

Or am I missing something, what was the problem?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-06-02 17:10

>What you did is delay the state checks and set the power producer/consumer states conditionally only when they really changed

MakePowerConsumer should not be called from The On*EnoughPower methods. I thought I documented that somewhere, but I might have not done that.

>Shouldn't the Make/Unmake Power Producer/Consumer be robust enough that you can set the states even if everything stays the same?

You had some general logical problems in that code. For example, OnEnoughPower is obviously never called when you are a power producer and not a consumer, therefore your powered was never set to true in that case - this is the main reason for the biggest part of the patch.
UnmakePowerConsumer/Producer are robust enough, but when you always remove- and add the object as a power consumer, the light-bulb effect is going to be played again, for example. And since removing and re-adding is not even what you should want in that case, I believe just changing the requested power when and as necessary is the right way.
For example, the checks [if (power_used > 0) UnmakePOwerConsumer();] in line 406ff could probably be skipped without changing anything, but I think that the checks help you read and understand the code.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 17:19

> MakePowerConsumer should not be called from The On*EnoughPower methods. I thought I documented that somewhere, but I might have not done that.

Could the solution here be to make the On*EnoughPower callbacks each at the end of the function? So after the system updated to the new power consumer state?

> but when you always remove- and add the object as a power consumer, the light-bulb effect is going to be played again, for example

But this could be fixed in the power system right? If the power consumption for example is already 10 and didn't change in this call to MakePowerConsumer, then do not redisplay the bulbs.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-06-02 18:09

>Could the solution here be to make the On*EnoughPower callbacks each at the end of the function? So after the system updated to the new power consumer state?

Possible, but I don't see why you would want to change the state in that callbacks anyway :x

>But this could be fixed in the power system right? If the power consumption for example is already 10 and didn't change in this call to MakePowerConsumer, then do not redisplay the bulbs.

Yes, the power system treats it exactly like you say. But the power system is powerless when you call UnmakePowerConsumer before setting the new power ;)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 21:54

>Possible, but I don't see why you would want to change the state in that callbacks anyway :x

Because when it does not have any power, it should stop pumping.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-06-02 22:16
But it should not stop requesting power in that case..
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 22:24
It doesn't. WaitPower still requests power.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-06-02 22:36 Edited 2013-06-02 22:38
I may have read that wrong, but as I understood it, you always updated the power usage (with UnmakePowerConsumer & MakePowerConsumer) even if nothing changed.
That means, you stopped requesting power (UnmakePowerConsumer) in OnNotEnoughPower through CheckState and UpdatePower (or however the functions are called).

PS:
When I said "[...] I don't see why you would want to change the state in that callbacks [...]", I meant the state of being a power consumer, not the internal state of the pump. That came across wrong, I suppose
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 23:19

> I may have read that wrong, but as I understood it, you always updated the power usage (with UnmakePowerConsumer & MakePowerConsumer) even if nothing changed.

For example when power consumption changes from 18 to 20, I called UnmakePowerProducer(); and MakePowerConsumer(20);. UnmakePowerConsumer was not called.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 16:52
Found the problem. You where right about the water pixels sliding out of the map. I am on it. @ CanInsertMaterial
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-06-02 17:11
Sven mentioned something about InsertMaterial also checking diagonally while CanInsertMaterial only checks straight up or something like that. I didn't check it, though
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 17:13
I already committed the fix.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-05-30 21:45
What exactly was broken?

Btw: You removed the InsertMaterial query parameters? How can you then determine how far InsertMaterial will push the material up because the target is drowned in liquid? (otherwise, you can gain infinite energy by pumping in circles).
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-30 22:01

>What exactly was broken?

After deactivating the pump manually, you could never re-activate it. Due to some stuff in your height-calculation, it appeared. We could re-activate the pump simply by using pump->MakePowerConsumer(50) after the failed manual try
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-06-02 17:03
GetPumpHeight() ist still wrong. It does not slide sideways for the material check like InsertMaterial does. Thus, you can still gain infinite energy by pumping in circles.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 17:07
How would the sideway slide effect the height and thus the power produced?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-06-02 17:42
The water inserted by InsertMaterial slides diagonally upwards, so it will find a top end of the water body further up. But the pump will calculate power needed as if the water were inserted straight up only.

Edit: I'm referring to this: http://git.openclonk.org/openclonk.git/blob/refs/heads/pumpfix:/src/landscape/C4Landscape.cpp#l833
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 22:00
I don't really understand what these two lines do. I understand it like this: Slide straight up, but in the case that any neighboring pixel is sky/tunnel, slide one px in that direction and stop.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-06-03 07:02
I thought it's supposed to go up diagonal caves. But looking at the code, I guess it would have to check "<=mdens" for that. So my guess is that the "primitive slide (1)" has been there since Clonk Planet and has never actually worked.

In any case, the pump height procedure should use the same code path as the insertion procedure to determine it's position. There's also the code in FindMatPathPush which might search for an entirely different insertion position.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-06-03 15:58
Maybe make that InsertMaterial() (or whatever it was called) function return the position, where the inserted pixel finally ends up.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-06-03 17:21
Well, that's what I did. But it was removed in the pumpfix branch and not readded to the CanInsertMaterial function.

I think both functions should have that output parameter. It's useful for CanInsertMaterial because you need it for the pump height. But it's also useful for the InsertMaterial function in case you want to do extra stuff at the insertion position (e.g. add sprinkler effects).
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-03 19:16
Okay I will re-add it.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2013-06-04 00:08

> So my guess is that the "primitive slide (1)" has been there since Clonk Planet and has never actually worked.

In 2001 those lines looked like this:
      if (GBackDensity(tx-1,ty)<mdens) tx--;
      if (GBackDensity(tx+1,ty)<mdens) tx++;
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-04 08:52
So same without the pointer fu. Does anyone have a concern against throwing that part out as I don't see the sense of that part?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-06-04 09:36
The pointers are for the output parameters to determine where the liquid is actually inserted. If you don't like it, you can replace it with local variables and write them back into the pointers on function exit. But I believe there are multiple exit points, so this might be a bit tedious.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-04 16:20
No I meant I wanted to remove the "primitive slide (1)"
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-06-04 17:12
Sounds fine to me. If anything breaks (like water suddenly starts piling up in hills) we'll notice soon enough.