Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / using the Battle for Wesnoth import mechanism
- - By Globing [kr] Date 2009-11-21 06:31
I really like the import mechanism of Battle of Wesnoth for scenarios and items.
That is the way to import something, I ever wanted to have in clonk and I always missed it in all versions I played (I started more then 10 years ago ;) )
who doesn't know BoW:
http://www.wesnoth.org/ (it is one of the best opensource games, I ever played, and it has an ingame scenario/object download mechanism)
It is open source, so I think, it should be possible to use their mechanism for openclonk (so nobody has to do the whole work again :) )

(they also should have a lot of experiences in programming and maybe we get some help from there
for example integration into the (K-)and Ubuntu packages)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-11-21 10:46
Could you describe the import mechanism shortly please? :)
I have played Battle of Wesnoth once but never used anything that looked like an import mechanism
Parent - - By Globing [kr] Date 2009-11-21 18:35
in the main menue is a subitem "Erweiterungen" (in engl version "add-ons")
when you click on it, you could choose a server, from where you can download anything you want to have (like campaigns, scenarios and/or items, sorted by different possibilities)
there is also a subitem (under the server you choose) to update your downloaded add ons and a subitem to remove add ons
I think thats a very comfortable way to manage a larger number of add ons, because I had always very large problems to manage and hold an overview over all downloaded items from ccan, hold them up to date, find new ones, find out, what I have not downloaded and also with managing all the files in the folder structure on the HDD (the game could manage that)
especially the update mechanism for add ons would be very useful, beta tester(beginners) for example could easy add and remove files without risk or work and could ever easy try (with the update mechanism) wether the problems are sucessfully solved
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-11-21 18:47
So what you want is basically a CCAN-Client to download stuff directly into your clonk folder and manage it (updates for example)? (Be it in the engine or as an additional program)
I like the idea and I think one could already write such a program independently from OC
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2009-11-21 20:48
why independently?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-11-21 21:29
Because it could be used for ClonkRage as well
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2009-11-21 22:54
we could also introduce a new file extension (.c4¶ or .c4ø) that is a renamed zip and the file, once opened will be unpacked into the clonk directory and a test scenario will be started.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-11-21 23:10
And how would that do what he wants?
Parent - - By Globing [kr] Date 2009-11-22 15:00 Edited 2009-11-22 15:04
why write again?
someone has already done the work (very good and without bugs) in BoW and that is open souce(GPL v2), so you could use their sourcecode legally.
(thats the sense of (GPL) open source!!)
in my stupid (non-programmer) mind, I think you can copy and paste large parts of the BoW sourcecode and "just" implement it (maybe still a lot of work, but less then writing everything new)
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2009-11-22 17:48
We can't use GPL'd code because we're using a different license.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2009-11-22 21:37
we could write a wrapper library with LGPL containing GPL code
Parent - - By Globing [kr] Date 2009-11-23 08:53 Edited 2009-11-23 08:56
excerpt from german wikipedia:
"Dadurch bietet die ISC-Lizenz die meisten Freiheiten aus Public Domain für ein urheberrechtlich geschütztes Werk. Die Lizenz ist sowohl von der Open Source Initiative als auch von der Free Software Foundation anerkannt[3] und kompatibel zur GPL. "

what means: accepted by free software foundation and open source initiative and is compatible to GPL
in my opinion means that, that you can use GPL-source code
(i know, wiki is not always perfect, but still very often right ;) )
or am I wrong?
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2009-11-23 09:08
ICS code in a GPL project, yes.

GPL code in a ICS project, no.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2009-11-23 15:58
Only if we'd offend somebody by making OpenClonk GPL who would have contributed so much that the move would be a net loss.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2009-11-23 16:30
If you join the communists, you can certainly count me out!
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2009-11-22 18:47
Usually, it's not that easy to copy code from existing projects if it wasn't designed to work as a separate library. Real-world code commonly has lots of dependencies into the rest of the project.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-11-23 21:01
I want apt-get for c4group. Archives solving multiple dependencies could be easily used to serve scenarios using this two-object-pack and that one-object-modification.
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2009-11-23 21:33
Parent - - By Globing [kr] Date 2009-11-25 13:16 Edited 2009-11-25 13:23
bad link....
but anyway
even if we can't use the source code, we could look up, how they solved this problem...
(I still think, a good ingame object management would be really great and important for openclonk)
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2009-11-25 13:26
it's not a link - it's an example.

you have to write the c4download.pl before you can use this feature.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / using the Battle for Wesnoth import mechanism