Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Request] some icons
- - By Newton [de] Date 2009-11-30 18:00
Hey guys. For the HUD, I need a few graphics. This time, prerendered (or drawn) 64x64 icons. Most possibly they will be just shown in max 32x32 so not too detailed and very clear please:

An icon for:
+ Exit building. (e.g. A slightly open door with an arrow out)
+ Enter building (e.g. A slightly open door with an arrow in. Could pretty much look like the one in Graphics.png/GuiIcons.png)
+ Grab (vehicle)
+ Let go (vehicle) (same with X?)
+ Primary selection (for inventory) - perhaps a right hand with a "1" on it
+ Secondary selection (for inventory) - perhaps a left hand with a "2" on it
+ Money (or rather "Clunker", the currency of Clonk ;-)) - perhaps a pile of coins? or gold? just one big coin?

Additional: (not really needed yet)
+ Talk to
+ and stop talking to (perhaps the same with an X?)
+ same for a general Use / stop using
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-11-30 19:08
I don't know how your GUI system works - but if you have a lot of stuff that is another icon with a 'X' on it, you should generalize that I think :)
(e.g. having only the base graphics and drawing the X in another layer)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-01 01:44 Edited 2009-12-01 01:49
Here are some door enter/exit icons. They're 3D renders, so if anything needs changing (ie arrow colour) it would be a simple job.

Also, regarding the grab-vehicle icon; do you have any ideas what it should look like?

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-12-01 09:56
I think it would be cool even there to have the arrow as an overlay (since it is not covered by the door). That would be one base door graphics and two (grey) reusable arrows. Just to make sure that basic symbols (arrows, crosses, ..) always look the same
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-01 13:51
It's not that hard to render arrows :P
Plus, Ringwaul could commit the arrows to the repository
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-12-01 14:49
Well, then we would still have twice the file size for every symbol. (And the lighting of the arrows would be rather different so that they are very unlikely to look the same everywhere. And even if you added the arrow afterwards: The position will most likely be slightly different and that would ruin the visual effect if you have more than one symbol next to each other)
imo
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2009-12-01 14:42
Individual graphics of arrows, Xs, etc. might be nice to have. I wouldn't push this into the rendering code though, because it will make things unnecessarily complicated. If you have the model and a 2D rendering of those graphics, you can implement them into your own.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-12-01 14:46

>Individual graphics of arrows, Xs, etc. might be nice to have

Well, if we have like twenty different symbols with twenty different arrows from twenty different artists it would be more confusing than nice to have I think.
Same for the X in cancel-stuff-symbols. I think one X would be sufficient for all the symbols (that would save even half of the graphical size there!)
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2009-12-01 15:08
Any symbol drawing code would have to be able to handle overlaid symbols. This may include objects, menus, help texts, etc. "overlaid" symbols would have to be defined in a complicated manner, as you would have to include overlay positions. Rendering would become complicated if you include transparency or other effects.

Yes, you can design a system to handle this. But it's certainly not "less confusing" than just having one symbol for "enter" and one for "exit".

> (that would save even half of the graphical size there!)

It would be less graphics memory used vs more rendering required.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2009-12-01 13:51
The contrast of arrow on door is too low, would be hard to separate those two icons from each other. maybe different colors would be a help as well.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-12-01 14:51
Or having one (or two, here) very bright red (actually grey, modulated in the process) arrow that could be used for all the symbols as an overlay :]
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-02 00:49
As the arrows are actually seperate images, I've managed to fix the lighting so the arrow is much more contrast now.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-02 02:55
More icons:

Parent - By MimmoO Date 2009-12-02 13:55
i think the hands are a bit too less saturated. more orange would be nice. oh, and do clonks have 4 fingers? im not sure atm. the cross looks good. maybe it should be more centered and "fill" the whole 64x64 space.
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2009-12-02 13:56
there are posted some icons now, and i would say it was good, if you, ringwaul, would continue on making them, so we have a uniform style.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-02 16:30
Iconman Ringwaul? As long as they fit together in style, I see no reason why other people shouldn't be able to commit icons too. Otherwise I agree with Mimmos, Zappers and Matthias feedback. The icons turned out good so far.
A few additional things:
+ I'd like to have the numbers on the hands so that these icons look more distinguishable in style to the picture icons of the inventory. The picture icons are also shown with a number right next to it: the hotkey number.
+ The two doors should be more distinguishable: More contrast (A lighter arrow) and a (slightly?) different perspective
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-02 17:25
+ I could place the numbers in the center of the hands and cel-shade them.
+ Are you referring to the arrows in the repository? The first door icons I posted aren't up to date; but I could easily contrast them more. Which direction should the perspective change to? (ie a little to the left or some-such)

I won't be able to post my changes for about 7 hours... at school and first class hasn't even started yet. D:
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-12-02 18:17

>+ I'd like to have the numbers on the hands so that these icons look more distinguishable in style to the picture icons of the inventory. The picture icons are also shown with a number right next to it: the hotkey number.

We could always use a different "numeration" if numbers are confusing. "A" and "B" for example. Or "I" and "II"
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-02 20:07
I like this idea. Two 1's and two 2's in the same square seems confusing.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-02 20:31
A and B? Why not. After all, the hands are referring to the mouse buttons anyway. So it could even be L and R.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-03 05:09
New hand icons; cash icon.

Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-12-03 13:38
May the coins need a picture on it like this one.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-03 17:16
If so, it would be only visible on one or two coins.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-12-03 14:46
I like the coins. You can even recognize them when zoomed out :)
Parent - By Simsi [de] Date 2009-12-03 21:54
What about adding one or two banknotes in dark saturated green? And I would give the coins some brownish reflections, I think that looks much more like gold then.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-07 12:41
Very nice! Now the only thing that is missing are the grab/let go icons
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-07 21:06
Should the grab/let go icons be something like-

Grasp: Grasping hand overlay
Let Go: open hand overlay with X over it
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-07 23:13
It should be recognizable. That would be an idea. Perhaps the grasping hand could have a green cylinder-shape in the hand (and not just nothing as if it would be a fist) to establish the color-scheme green=select, red=unselect
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-08 04:05
Like such?:

Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-08 12:31
Exactly. But better make the bars grey like the arrows so that I can adjust the color to fit to the door arrows in PSP. It also looks better when you give the hands a little bit of perspective: The cylinder doesn't need to be vertical. You did this with the other hands too.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-09 03:07
some perspective and grey cylinder:

Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-15 19:49
I think it would be sweet to have different icons for different amounts of money
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-28 14:46

>I think it would be sweet to have different icons for different amounts of money

Could you? I have no idea how to render something in blender
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-12-28 15:13
Low:           Some coins (3-4 lying on ground)
Low-Mid:       A bit more coins (6-7 on 2 small piles)
Mid:           A lot of coins on a big pile
Mid-High:      A single gold bar and a sack (full of coins)?
High:          Some gold bars and diamonds.

PS: Or diffrent colored coins (copper, silver, gold, crystal...)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-28 16:39
What? I meant based on his model he already rendered. Just remove some coins for less
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-12-28 16:54
Oh, I thought in the way like: "I don't know, how you could do this in blender."
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-28 21:51
Oh, in that case:

Parent - By MimmoO Date 2009-12-30 00:14
fine fine
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-07 20:14 Edited 2009-12-08 12:37
I put the icons you posted into the game. Checkout and compile the PlrCtrl branch to check it out.

Edit:
Also, the HUD and new controls are now in a state where you can get the picture of how I planned it. I'd be happy about some feedback.
The controls are:

WASD - movement (jump does not work currently)
Space - interact with objects in the landscape, namely: Grab, let go, exit, enter, push into, grab next vehicle (push into does not work currently)
Left Mouse button - use the selected item, entered structure or grabbed vehicle (indicated by the hand with the A on it in the HUD)
Right Mouse button - use the second selected item. Indicated by the hand with the B on it (not implemented for items yet)
-----
More controls:
Q,E - switch cursor
Up,Down - switch inventory selection (should be scrollwheel but it is not implemented yet)
1-9 - hotkeys for the actionbar (lower hud)
Shift+1-9 - select cursor (upper hud)

I hope the interaction with the HUD is self-explanatory so I don't explain it here.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-09 02:56
Maybe there should be a different button for grab/let go. For instance, if you a flying an airship (blimp or balloon) and you carry a lorry in the airship, this would cause serious confusion of what grabs, switches grab, or lets go.

Maybe choosing what to grab could be done by: holding grab for a moment, which brings up a quick menu of all possible objects to grab. Then this grab key could also be used to pick up objects (instead of the current automatic collection).
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-09 13:02
Are you talking about the "Space"-Button or the button in the HUD. With the button in the HUD, it is possible to grab the airship when before grabbing the lorry(Actually in that case with space too).
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-09 17:15
Oh. I was thinking the space bar was the only button to operate grabbing objects; I've tested this again (now that my hud shows properly) and I see that 4 and further hotkeys also operate grabbing. So, I think what you've implemented for grabbing is good.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2009-12-11 14:31 Edited 2009-12-11 15:48
Great work!

Seems to work very intuitive. Allthough I could not get the space bar to work. About the mouse controls: They are messed up by zooming in or out, you can't select inventory items anymore. It only works in 1:1 zoom, the clonk selection markers still work but are too large/small. And is it already possible to jump?

Edit: You already put that in the bugtracker. Throwing stuff is a bit strange, you can throw stones just as far as metal barrels. Maybe we should imlement some realism here.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-12-28 15:20
I don't know... I don't like the spacebar, it's so noisy. :C
It could be more likely used for a context menu...
E and Q is wasted on cursor selection. It's not that important to change Clonks really quick. E and Q could be more buttons for interacting with objects (changing ammo for bow... diffrent attacks with a sword... even usable for vehicles and buildings or quick selection of things in the interaction menu).
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Request] some icons