Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Other bugtrackers
- - By Newton [th] Date 2013-10-28 10:41
Has anyone made any experiences with other bugtrackers/project management software like for example The Bug Genie, Bugzilla or Trac? Especially regarding its extensibility towards authentication plugins.

Researching into SSI, Mantis does not offer an authentication plugin interface and looking into the source to see how hard it would be to patch, I am not so thrilled.

Also, most other software that offers a bugtracking feature incorporate a number of other tools like repository integration and various project management tools (timeline, release management, an own wiki, burndown charts etc pp). Would you like to have those things?
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-10-28 11:03
I've worked with a few project management tools by now, but I can't really say that any of them would fit openclonks needs much better than the others. I just wouldn't recommend trac, but my experiences with that date back quite a while as well. As far as Release Management and Chart Tools go, I've never really made any use of it. Maintaining that stuff usually took more effort than it was worth. A combined timeline from repository, wiki and bugtracker is nice, though.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-10-28 11:05
Mantis seems to support LDAP as some sort of SSO solution. I have not actually used that before, so I am not quite sure whether that works (and MantisBT.org seems to be down for me atm..)

It would be a pitty to lose the bugtracker history :/

PS: (1), (2)
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2013-10-28 11:30
LDAP is pretty powerful but since it's a separate daemon we'd have to deploy it on a dedicated server; the HE webspace won't suffice.
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-10-28 13:38
LDAP is out of the question. I created a small api to authenticate against the forum accounts, the league will use it as well. (Currently testing for the wiki. Perhaps I will deploy it already today.)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-10-28 19:27
So you need a bugtracker where it is relatively easy to write an extension for a custom authentication API?
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-10-28 19:33
Yes, that as well. I would patch Mantis but it does cause other problems so I want to look into alternatives before I go through that hassle.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-10-28 19:38
I (only quickly) looked into the Mantis code and how they handle ldap and the authentication stuff - at least - looks decently encapsulated
Parent - By Newton [th] Date 2013-10-29 05:14
I looked quite thoroughly because I already started to write the patch and I'd say: not really. Perhaps I am just spoiled by MediaWiki's object oriented code with an authentication plugin interface but LDAP-ifs in Mantis are all over the place.
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2013-10-28 14:19 Edited 2013-10-28 14:22
I have recently installed and worked with an instance of Trac, there are multiple plugins for authentication available and it should be possible to integrate them here.

On the one hand I would describe Trac as pretty powerful and extendable, on the other hand I have fought with general performance issues before (like pages requiring upwards of 10 seconds to load). I wouldn't even describe myself as an intermediate Python developer, so I also ran into minor problems when installing plugins/eggs, but things usually worked in the end. It just felt like it required a huge amount of configuring and tweaking.

Trac does have a very powerful bugtracker though and offers tight integration into repositories when referencing commits and several other useful features, like ticket referencing and ticket dependencies (as plugin) and timelines/charts. One should realise that Trac is more of a project management suite as opposed to a real bugtracker, but I guess it could be used as a very decent alternative to Mantis.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-10-28 19:28
As a side note: Google told me that it is possible to migrate Mantis to Trac
Up Topic General / General / Other bugtrackers