Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Waterfalls
- - By domtron [us] Date 2013-10-31 19:02
So I was thinking that waterfalls would be nice. and that they might be a nice starter project for me. I'm thinking they could be implemented by building a water source object representing water flowing in from behind the level and a general behavioral script that lets water slowly drain into the surrounding dirt or through the open sky background but be contained by rock and rock backgrounds.

Any ideas, suggestions, or criticisms?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-10-31 19:11
Sounds like a nice starting project indeed :)

I believe water already evaporates into clouds at the moment. Not sure how that works exactly, though
Parent - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-01 21:58
I'll try to look into that also.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-10-31 19:30 Edited 2013-10-31 19:43
I like the idea of water seeping into non solid materials. It could also drop from the ceiling if there's water on top of a mine. (I think this has already been done in CR, hasn't it?)
At the moment, the water sprites look pretty ugly. I once made raindropgraphics, but that looked stupid when the raindrops slipped around the floor. If the waterfall is just decoration and shouldn't affect the gameplay, you could try out the new particle system and play around with water effects.
Edit: Here's the raindrops I made (kind of related, i guess)
Parent - - By domtron [us] Date 2013-10-31 21:36

> It could also drop from the ceiling if there's water on top of a mine.

I like the sound of that.

> If the waterfall is just decoration and shouldn't affect the gameplay, you could try out the new particle system

I was thinking about how a watermill could be implemented which lead to the waterfall idea. But both functional and decorative versions could be made.
Parent - - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2013-10-31 22:14

>I was thinking about how a watermill could be implemented which lead to the waterfall idea. But both functional and decorative versions could be made.

mh. I like the idea of a watermill. But instead of adapting to a river, which is hard to make in OC, it should adapt to a waterfall, as you may have metioned. That sounds pretty creative and sweet for me. On the other hand, waterfalls may be very static and have to be placed by a mapdesigner. A good solution would be, that the player could collect water on a great surface and lead it into a hole in the ground where the waterfallmill would be. Just  a way to get rid of that would be necessary. Show some solidarity to renewable energies!
Parent - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-01 02:32 Edited 2013-11-01 02:55

> as you may have metioned

Ya that's basically what I had in mind.

A number of watermills use a wooden trough construction which either lifts the water high enough by using a lesser slope then the rivers surrounding geography or directs water from a uphill resivuare like a dam. (see pictures at the below) So in clonk the source would create a small body of water on top of a cliff which would flow over(or out of) the cliff and into a pool below(which would slowly leak out so the level doesn't get flooded). The other posibility would be to just have the source in midair dropping water into a pool and the watermill could be built between the source and the pool.

Sorry this post turned out longer then I meant to make it >.<

Fairly good side view: http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/buildings/watermill/IMAGES/mill-photo.jpg

From wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Kyoto_Botanical_Garden_-_water_mill.JPG%5b/img%5d

BTW I would have put the images into the post but they would have been huge according to the preview O.o

Edit:

> waterfalls may be very static and have to be placed by a mapdesigner

That is a good point. Automated water source placement would need a good procedural generation script.

> Show some solidarity to renewable energies!

Hehe. But we already have windmills. (which work way to well and consistently btw :P)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2013-10-31 19:30
There is already a simple waterfall object used in RockBottom.ocs so it would be good to base your work on that object and extend it. It can be found under Environment.ocd/Waterfall.ocd
Parent - - By domtron [us] Date 2013-10-31 21:39
Thank you for mentioning that, I didn't know about it since I usually play single player games. Does it actually create water or is it just a decorative animation? (my clonk version is inoperable right now)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2013-11-01 08:30
It creates water.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-01 15:59
Parent - By Maddino [de] Date 2013-11-02 18:04
i think its a great idea

waterfall from clonk rage project "inexantros" was not bad

here the video 0:34-0:39, maybe it gives you some inspiration :)
- - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-11-01 00:07
The waterfall idea sounds great, but I have an Idea for making a waterfall without having to directly create the waterfall. I was thinking about a water-spring that produces water from underground and bubbles out water onto the surface. If it was on a cliff then it would do the same thing as a water fall. And we could make a setting so that there can be only a certain amount of water in the map, but that would not be completely necessary if the sides are open so that water can run out of the map or if we have a water-level system.
Parent - - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-01 02:44
As far as I can tell that's the same thing I'm talking about(except for how you handle the excess water)... an object(called water source which looks like a hole or something) that regularly spawns water. If it is up in the air the water falls straight down; if it is under ground the water would fill any empty space possibly pushing water up an onto the surface(where it would drain very fast).

>  a setting so that there can be only a certain amount of water in the map

I like more natural solutions like the draining idea. I would only implement a hard limit/cap if modeling the drainage slowed the game down significantly.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-11-01 18:24

>I like more natural solutions like the draining idea. I would only implement a hard limit/cap if modeling the drainage slowed the game down significantly.

I agree, the most maps should be able to drain water just fine, and even if some don't with the help of some flints blowing a hole in the side of a map so that it would drain would be easy.

P.S.:Why does openclonk not have a random map generator yet?
Parent - - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-01 19:14
Well there is this, http://docs.openclonk.org/en/sdk/scenario/MapCreatorS2.html, there just isn't any in-game interface that lets gamers easily create a random map. (like clonk... planet was it?) Since the ground work is in place it shouldn't be to hard to implement a basic random map interface it should only need some UI programming. (the disclaimer being I have no clue how the map gen works in practice or under the hood :P)
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-11-01 21:04
So... There is a map gen just not a in-game one?
Parent - - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-01 21:28
Yep, it's for dynamic scenario maps. I don't think any scenarios are using it though.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-11-01 21:35
Ah. ok.
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2013-11-01 21:39
Many scens use it...
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2013-11-01 21:34
The generator was never not ingame. Look at OC scens with randomized landscapes. You can always write a landscape.txt to get a randomized landscape in oc.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-11-01 21:39
Hmm... I haven't noticed that... :/
Parent - - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-01 22:07
Well that makes two of us... though I have an excuse "I'm new here." :P
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-11-01 22:41
I have an excuse too... my computer that I use is too old to run openclonk. :(
Parent - - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-01 22:44
ouch, no fun :(
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-11-01 22:50
Yes, but at least it works for me...
Parent - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-01 22:59
Oh right. By "not in-game" I meant there was not an in-game gui interface to create maps(unless there is and its hidden away) not that it couldn't be used in OC games. But that point is probably clear by now.
- - By domtron [us] Date 2013-11-02 16:55 Edited 2013-11-03 03:38
So I rolled back my OC repo to a point where it worked and played around with the rock bottom scenario. I cut out all the stuff not related to the waterfall and changed the map around so the water source was in a cleft on the one side and overflowed it. The waterfall code also has a water drain where... water drains. The drain object doesn't seem to work. This may be because I have no clue how to relate the x,y location to the map.bmp file.

The waterfall object code does everything I was thinking of. It also has direction parameters. The changes that I think need made are as follows:
- rename the WaterFall object to WaterSource
- add a graphic that looks like a hole out of which the water flows and allow scenario editors to toggle it on or off with a parameter at creation
- Increase waters viscosity or something; the flow of water seems far to broken and needs to be smoother; I'm not sure if this is scriptable or hard coded into the engine. anyone know? (@Pyrit is this what you meant about it looking ugly?)
- create a script for water to drain into dirt and dirt backgrounds.

Edit: The decorative waterfall should probably be a separate object possibly a modification of the current waterfall.

I'll attach the scenario If I can figure out how and if my internet isn't to slow to upload it. Uploaded.

Edit: BTW, the scenario doesn't change the waterfall object yet; it's just a map configuration that I'll use to test my modifications.

It's basically the same code and setup of the author of rock bottom so all credit goes to him. And I guess I am now suppose to say that the license is CC-By.
Attachment: WaterSources.ocs.zip (4k)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2013-11-02 18:02
Sounds reasonable, the thing with the coordinates may be the difference of local and global coordinates. Otherwise pixels in Map.bmp are multiplied by MapZoom (default 8) to create a scenario landscape.

>And I guess I am now suppose to say that the license is CC-By.

If you derive from our repos yes, or a license which is consistent with CC-By 3.0
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Waterfalls