Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Research
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-19 08:51
I was just wondering if there is any planned ideas for how research will work in OpenClonk. The method of research as used in Clonk Rage probably isn't such a good idea for OpenClonk, because you can research any item, no matter how advanced it is. It might be interesting to have some leveled tech trees, such as researching gun-powder to create dynamite, and so you can research plans for a musket. Before that, you might research fletching to create bows and arrows.

I've noticed in games such as CIV2, tech-trees always lead to an excitement of what you can advance to next. For some settlements, this could add some fun things to do while building a base and collecting materials.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-12-19 10:17
Actually there are tech trees in ClonkRage too :)
Quit once made a graph, dunno where it is anymore. (For example: Flint->SuperFlint->TeraFlint)
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-12-19 13:13
Here.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2009-12-19 11:20 Edited 2009-12-19 11:39
I wrote something about that quite a while ago: Click!

On that note: What happened to MastroLindo. He seemed to be both motivated and wise... hope he will reappear some day.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-12-19 12:57
Beside a techtree I would like a more 'natural' and 'random' research. You can say, you want to research on weapons or explosives, selecting this technology tree and you start researching something random in this area (it might be a gunpowder or a new flint). Then you can divide this in vehicles, defense (castles and watchtowers...), resources (buildings for converting resources and constructing) and some other things if you like.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-12-19 13:21
That would just be annoying for the player I think. The fun just stops for example when you need a barrel to do something and you first research twenty other objects :)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-12-19 21:47
Instead of random, the player could research "Flight" to unlock a balloon, instead of researching "Balloon". Then, if a player had "Machining" (gatling gun) and "Flight" (balloon) they could get the Blimp.

Naturally, when a person is trying to invent something; they don't already know what they are going to invent, of course. I think this is what Atomclonk intended; however, people don't invent a metal barrel when they are trying to invent a wire-roll. Necessity is the cause of invention, so if you need a linekit, you'd research "Electricity", not "Linekit"or "Containers".
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-12-20 12:58
I tought of something simmiliar, lets say that player can choose a research field (Mechanics, thermodynamics, everyday tools, philosophy) depending on his apparatus (in chemical lab he can research far more explosives than walking in a forest) and then when advancing in that field the clonk slowly discovers new possibilities (TNT, Flints, Powder, etc. when researching explosives), and these things advance reeeeeaaaaly slowly, then player can tell that clonk to focus on particular thing (for example on making a gun), and even fund research(clonk then can research way faster, and finishing funded research results in a ready to use prototype)
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-12-20 21:52
Yeah, there could be more specific fields of research, like you said (aditionally e.g. "Power sources", "Tools", "Melee weapons"...)
Most time when you play a scenario where you can research some things and you have the most important ones, you never know what you want to research next, so you're choosing something diffrent. Now you can say: "I want to advance in this or that." So you advance in this or that. :p
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Research