Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tutorials for Controls and heavy-resources
- - By Maikel Date 2014-03-28 18:54
I have created a new branch (tutorials) which contains my work in progress on new tutorials for the controls and heavy-resources branches. It is branched of Controls and heavy-resources is merged into this branch. On the tutorials branch I will continue the development of the tutorials. However, this branch is also perfect for testing Controls and heavy-resources at the same time.

The goal would be to create better, and more interesting tutorials for the new controls. With a short storyline and some nice challenges along the way. Emphasis is, however, on the tutorials being easy and short (my girlfriend should be able to finish every single one of them within 10 minutes).

[Detailed concept I'll add later]

Feedback and criticism is highly appreciated, so git checkout tutorials, compile and play the first two. But remember that all are still work in progress and especially what should be a Wipf in the future is a very stupid (AI) animal :(
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2014-04-05 13:27
I can't compile because there is an error. Tried both 64bit and 32bit deps. Screenshot attached.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-04-05 13:40
You can comment out that line, it is not needed, or switch to a compiler which supports C++11.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-04-05 14:31
Try with the most recent version now!
(Or use an autobuild)
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2014-04-17 20:58
Tiny bit of feedback:

In tut 1, at the part shown in the first attached screenshot, I think you should have to use the walljump instead of just jumping onto the left ledge (therefore move it up higher so this becomes impossible).

In tut 1, where the arrow is supposed to point at your breath bar, it highlights a certain tool of the clonk's body not exactly crucial to mastering breath management. (See second attachment)

Wipf's creating too many dust particles

That's it for now.
Cheers
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-04-18 16:06
Thanks for the feedback,

regarding the wall jump: it is part of the easter egg to do a wall jump on your own, so I don't want to force the player, but indeed at that point you can do one.

The arrows are always a bit of a pain to position for GUI elements, I'll try to make the bar flashing and the arrow point more precisely.
Parent - By Andriel Date 2014-04-19 09:47

>regarding the wall jump: it is part of the easter egg to do a wall jump on your own, so I don't want to force the player ...

Okay, I do have to say, while having an easteregg is a nice idea, this is somthing that should absolutely be part of the regular tutorial.
The wall jump is a crucial skill. It is also crucial to know that you only do a roll when you hold the movement key at impact.

In conclusion, please explain wall jump and rolling mechanics in the tutorial.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2014-04-21 17:50
Second round of feedback!
All tut 1:

"Clonk" is all lowercase in the texts. I think it should be written with capital "C", but I'm no English expert, so I may be wrong.

The guy says: "... and click on my icon at any time to view the current hint.", but actually, clicking his icon goes to the next message.

The "Next" button should have the green arrow icon and the "Back" button the one with the red arrow. It's the other way around right now.

The instructions should take the keys from the actual keymap, in case the player has customized his controls. (I suppose that's already on your TODO list, but anyway)

Is it possible to increase the text size a bit? Also, it's easier to read something when it's in a more vertical format, rather than the current format, which is very horizontal.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2014-04-21 18:30

>"Clonk" is all lowercase in the texts. I think it should be written with capital "C", but I'm no English expert, so I may be wrong.

Clonk only needs to be capitalised when talking about the game series. When referring to the species or individuals of it, "clonk" is correct.
- - By Maikel Date 2014-04-05 17:14
Added Playrgound scenario

Reward for finishing all tutorials, in here the player can spawn all loaded items to play with them. Open the spawn menu by pressing I on your keyboard.

Also attached two screenshots, one of the spawnmenu and one where I blew up a sky island using some boompacks :D

I hereby license the file Screenshot043.png under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file Screenshot044.png under the CC-BY license
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-04-05 17:22
Cool idea! :D
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Tutorials for Controls and heavy-resources