Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / A Vehicle
- - By Apfelclonk Date 2014-04-16 12:48
History of clonk showed that there are almost no types of vehicle which are suitable with the landscape. Everything in the air works perfect, especially helicopters but on earth most things are getting annying if you don't have a plain area for the vehicle.

So I'd asked myself what would be a good kind of vehicles, because I think they're pretty much fun in every game you play. And also in OC - if they work correctly.

They are two main purposes a vehicle should fulfill to be more usefull to the clonk itself, which are to weigh up. On the one hand, travelling with the vehicle should be faster than the walking clonk. On the other hand it should be possible to carry bunches of stuff with you, so you don't have to walk that much. For sure a vehicle doing the one thing should'nt be that good in the other thing to always have to think about your choice.

So finally I got the idea of this, which reminds me at Star Wars. But if there is still the idea of steampunk I think it could be worked out pretty suitable with the rest of the graphical style.

A bit of explenation. The reason why this vehicle should cope with the landscape is, that that it only depens on 2 to 3 points of landscape. In between of them there can be holes, chunks of earth, everything as long as the player can direct the feet over them.
The player moves this vehicle by grabbing a foot with the mouse and move it to another point. When stopping that, the chassis repositions itself and moves thereby. The the player goes on with the another foot.

To make it even more usefull a hook can be placed under the cockpit to grab lorrys or other things.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2014-04-16 13:24
Sorry, but that sounds like the slowest vehicle ever? I don't get how it's supposed to work out. You even said yourself that

>>travelling with the vehicle should be faster than the walking clonk.

Nice sketch though.
Parent - By Apfelclonk Date 2014-04-16 13:53
That's a proportion thing and how fast the amination for the repositioning endures. The bigger this is, the bigger are the steps that are taken -> faster. The other thing is that this has in my mind more the purpose to carry things around. Therefore it may not be the fastest thing.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-04-17 20:51 Edited 2014-04-17 22:28
I have an idea that would more or less overcome the slowness: Click the "walker bot" then you may place the 3 dot's consecutively like this, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2 ,3 ,etc.. so when you click the navigation dot, it will move to the closest land piece and automatically switch to the next navigation dot for further placement thus providing a smoother movement.

P.S.: Sorry if my concept is hard to understand. :/

edit: picture added. Blue dots are where the player clicked. Red dots are navigation dots.
Attachment: WalkerIdea.jpg (60k)
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-04-18 23:34
I just wanted to write the very same idea as well. Always "shooting" the "oldest" leg is pretty much the only way I see how this could work. :)
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-04-25 01:38
Maybe scroll wheel could be used to change to a specific leg if the player needed to adjust a specific leg?
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2014-04-16 16:33
Idk, I'd like a vehicle, that drives on itself, rather than moving every foot of it manually.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-04-17 22:38
Maybe 2 modes would help: Automatic and manual?
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2014-04-17 05:18
Wow, very cool idea! I especially like the idea about mouse control!

However, it needs to have a purpose. As Andriel said, mouse control is very slow (but probably fun) so this thing needs something it is useful for. Perhaps this:
+ it functions under water
+ the legs attach to walls and ceilings as well (it can climb, hangle)
+ the hook is a grappler (controlled by click at something with left mouse button)
+ click with right mouse buttons dropsout contents into given direction

So it can be used for underwater (mining) missions, to climb over overhangs and transport (carry heavy) over unexplored land.

Do you have the skills to develop that?
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-04-17 22:49
+ Maybe clonks could get on the roof of it. Like a mobile fort.
This may add more problems though. Right?

If developed, this could be amazingly cool!
Love the idea... ;)
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2014-04-18 07:52 Edited 2014-04-18 07:56
Ouh. Sounds pretty challenging to me. I'd at least give it a try - guess without challenge one would'nt increase.

But how big shall this be? The design of the legs and how much joints they have depends pretty much on its overall size.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-04-18 08:35
As small as possible, the bigger the vehicle gets the less it can typically do in a clonk landscape. I would say at most three times as high as the clonk itself, or maybe with adjustable leg size.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-04-25 01:32
I agree with Maikel. I think it should not be to big. Maybe one or two clonks at most should be able to fit on top. Maybe 3 or 4 could fit inside, because it does need to have some sort of logical limit for cargo space (or does this really mater?).
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-05-26 21:31
Did you have a go at this, otherwise I'd like to have a try to code this. It seems a nice vehicle also for basemelees :D
Parent - - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2014-05-27 21:42
Well, there was an attempt and I thought how I would make the legs and the adjustment of the cockpit position the best. So I went out for some research on Google and found Inverse Kinematics pretty interesting. But because I'd like to understand this topic fully and not just implement some lines of code with stuff I don't really understand and maybe even make a useable library, I said to myself that I have at the moment not the time for that. At least until the next week. After that there is much more freetime.

Nevertheless if you'd like to go for it, I could visualize some of my question I had and we could work out a good concept and finally, if nobody else wants to, I could create a model and rig it.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-05-27 21:47
If you are progressing, then please continue :)

I have enough other OC stuff to work one and just thought this concept deserved someone working at it.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / A Vehicle