Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Tyrons Feedback
- - By Tyron [at] Date 2014-05-01 21:04 Edited 2014-05-01 21:19
According to the board title "Got feedback, suggestions or ideas? Post it here!" I'll take the freedom to write some feedback of mine here:

(I'm using 64bit Win7)

- OC Installation chooses default folder C:\Program Files\OpenClonk - kinda pretty bad for development to have all game content in admin restricted areas. All .ocf / .ocg and .ocd should be somewhere in %APPDATA% (+install a shortcut to it!)
- c4group.exe has a very non-standard command line parameter order. It should be "c4group [options] command(s) group(s)" and not "c4group [options] group(s) command(s)"
- c4group.exe: Trying to unpack something in "C:\Program Files\OpenClonk" in normal user mode returns incorrect error message: "Status: Open: File not found"    (if i run it in admin command line it unpacks correctly)

- openclonk by default is rather unplayable for me due to strong periodic flickering of the screen. Ths is due to another program named Flux (https://justgetflux.com/) which dims my computer screen at night (very recommended by the way!). OpenClonk is the only game so far that doesn't work with flux.
- taking a screenshot doesn't mention that the screenshot is in %APPDATA%\OpenClonk (Saved screenshot Screenshots\Screenshot001.png)
- the clonks movements are *very* jerky when climbing or hangling. Perhaps some smoothing should be done with clonk movements. Also sometimes quite awkard.
- tree growth seems quite jerky (tree jiggles up and down)

- Clonk Planet till Clonk Rage was awesome for playing around with settings (Scenario properties!!) which for me sparked my serious, long-term interest in clonk. I dare to say that these huge customization possibilities were for many people a reason to invest more time in the game. For me, the biggest strength of clonk was always its customizability, not the graphics or gameplay. CR was unfortunately already a step away from this easy customizability, whereas OC decided to completely ignore it by offering no Planet.exe/Editor.exe. In my eyes, OC is hiding a very powerful engine from it's (non programmer-)players.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-05-01 21:11 Edited 2014-05-01 21:13

> - OC Installation chooses default folder C:\Program Files\OpenClonk - kinda pretty bad for development to have all game content in admin restricted areas. All .ocf / .ocg and .ocd should be somewhere in %APPDATA% (+install a shortcut to it!)

User-created scenarios are in %APPDATA%\OpenClonk. Just the original content is in the Program Files folder. If you want, you can also just move or copy the standard data into %APPDATA%\OpenClonk to edit it there. Obviously, you should not edit the stuff in Program Files, because it will break updates and you might also need the original files for network play.

The game just reads both definitions and scenarios from both folders.
Parent - - By Tyron [at] Date 2014-05-02 07:49
Oh ok, thanks. Some shortcut/symlink which sticks out a bit (e.g. long name "Personal Clonk Data") would be great.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2014-05-09 09:14
CreateShortCut "$INSTDIR\$(OC_TEXT_USERPATH).lnk" "%APPDATA%\OpenClonk" (here)
So there should be a shortcut named "Benutzerpfad" or "User Path". Do you want me to rename it?
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2014-05-01 21:58

>- openclonk by default is rather unplayable for me due to strong periodic flickering of the screen. Ths is due to another program named Flux (https://justgetflux.com/) which dims my computer screen at night (very recommended by the way!). OpenClonk is the only game so far that doesn't work with flux.

Iirc that has to do with OpenClonk using Gamma differently.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-05-01 22:40

> - openclonk by default is rather unplayable for me due to strong periodic flickering of the screen. Ths is due to another program named Flux (https://justgetflux.com/) which dims my computer screen at night (very recommended by the way!). OpenClonk is the only game so far that doesn't work with flux.

Try DisableGamma=1 in graphics options
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-05-01 22:43
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that editing options are important, but I'd rather say the problem is that existing options aren't accessible enough.

E.g.: people who try to build stuff for OC are instructed to install and setup Eclipse first, which is completely unnuecessery for your first steps and way too complicated. Then there's stuff like scenario development in %APPDATA%, which is just not documented. I'd argue that a good tutorial would already help those people. Maybe even add a button to the main menu which just leads people to one ore more simple editing tutorials.
Parent - - By Tyron [at] Date 2014-05-02 07:57 Edited 2014-05-02 08:00
Also keep in mind that building Scenarios/Objects from scratch is complicated for people who just begin with programming.

In Clonk Endeavour, the introduction (why is there no good english word for "Einstieg" D:) into c4script is extremly easy. You press "New" or "Duplicate" and already have a working Object/Scenario that you can play around with. The GUI is minimalized to only what is needed in the beginning.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-05-02 08:26
A scenario-design dialogue integrated into the fullscreen GUI would be extremely cool, of course.
But since noone has done that yet since CR, I doubt it will happen anytime soon unless someone yet unknown to men climbs out of the abyss and volunteers for it.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2014-05-02 09:02
It's also not as easily done any more since we've lost many core scenario properties such as earthquakes in favor of purely scripted solutions. We would have to revert some of this stuff back to scenario properties then.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-05-02 09:27
I'd favour an integration of the script stuff.
The editor could f.e. create a script file containing Earthquake->Place(4);. But yeah, it's not an easy task
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2014-05-02 09:34
Exactly this, there could still be a frontend for creating scenarios, maybe even add a text field where you can add additional lines to the script and you're done :)
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2014-05-02 09:46
Inserting code into the script file wouldn't be hard. But what about parsing existing script files? What if the author has done modifications such as commenting out script lines? The editor would have to be aware of a ton of possibilities. This would be hell to maintain especially if properties get more complex.

Scenario.txt should be fine. The Scenario.txt values could be read by script and objects created accordingly just like it works now for base material.
Parent - By Tyron [at] Date 2014-05-06 13:28 Edited 2014-05-06 13:31
Purely scripted solutions and scenario properties are definitely not mutually exclusive. We already have scripted solutions selectable from scenario properties - goals, rules and enviroment objects. The same can be done for many other Scenario properties.

In other words: There could be more than Goals, Rules and Enviroment Objects to select from (and perhaps randomized quantities or even object-custom configs?).
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-05-06 09:35
Currently, I'm working on a major revision of my editor. It's targeted towards being a small but capable clonk file explorer like the old editor was. With all the 'go make me a new scenario' stuff.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Tyrons Feedback