Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
- - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-07-08 23:36
I am not completely happy with the wall kits yet. They add great possibilities for the player and allow us to build very hard missions (like Acid Gold Mine) which would be almost impossible to play otherwise.

But in many missions, they cannot be made available because they are so easy to use they would make the mission way too easy.

My suggestion for a change would that wall kits can only be placed if solid material is nearby. I can see several variations of realizing this:
* Placement is only possible if the newly constructed wall directly touches solid material (the preview could be painted red or green just like construction previews)
* Placement is only possible if solid material is within a small range (e.g. five pixels) - would simplify constructions of long bridges a bit and allow you to leave drain holes for water
* Placement is only possible if solid material is within a small range (e.g. five pixels), but it then always snaps to the nearest solid pixel

Missions like Deep Sea Mining would become a bit harder, since you cannot just dive around with a wall kit and a pipe end and always construct breathing holes wherever you are. On the other hand, it's still usually pretty easy to find an island in diving range and attach a wall to that.

What do you think about this change? Does it make sense to make the game harder if people already have some trouble playing the existing missions?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-07-09 09:56
I don't think the change would make wall kits a great deal harder to use. They are pretty hard to use already because you need to know them before you can place them. I'm all in favour of your suggestions and would like to amend one:

Make these things usable. Display a preview of the wall when holding down the mouse button. I'm always screwing up everything with these things because I misjudged the distance from the clonk or the angle of placement.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2014-07-09 10:23
What? There is - and has always been - exactly the preview you describe. Is it not visible for you for some reason?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-07-09 10:24
Huh. I never saw that preview. Will check again.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-07-09 10:07
I prefer option 1, and agree with clonkonaut. Also the cancellation of a wallkit is not obvious at all using the other mouse button to cancel, and this option will disappear with the new controls.

Maybe you could disallow using wallkits while jumping as well.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2014-07-09 10:27

> I prefer option 1, and agree with clonkonaut. Also the cancellation of a wallkit is not obvious at all using the other mouse button to cancel, and this option will disappear with the new controls.

I always cancel by selecting a different inventory item. I don't know the new controls. How would you intuitively cancel placement?

> Maybe you could disallow using wallkits while jumping as well.

Why? I think it's a nice skill if you can do this. And it's annoying if you cannot place at a certain position just because there doesn't happen to be a pixel of earth to climb on at the correct height.