Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / New mission: The Raid
- - By Sven2 [at] Date 2014-08-20 17:26 Edited 2014-08-20 18:06
I've committed a new mission (The Raid / Der Überfall) to the repository, which should be playable in the next snapshot. The mission is meant for single player. Multiplayer should work but is untested and might cause problems e.g. if multiple people initiate the same dialogue.

Based on feedback given on the last Clonk Meeting, the mission is relatively easy and there are several NPCs who give you hints what to do next. Any feedback would be nice :)
Parent - - By Sven2 [at] Date 2014-08-20 17:26
Concerning the storyline, my general idea would be like this: In the tutorial, the hero receives a letter telling him to come to Clunker Village. During the tutorial, you just travel there (e.g. the clonk controls tutorial you just travel, during the settlement tutorial you build a balloon and during the melee tutorial you encounter enemies on your way).

After the mission, the player has built a plane so Crash Landing would naturally be the next mission.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-08-20 20:47 Edited 2014-08-20 20:55
I played it until the construction of the plane and then could not find the oil, it was not so clear that you had to go back again (don't want to add any more spoilers).

In general I liked it, good dialogues (had some typos still), the landscape is also nice with good decoration (could even be a bit more, especially underground). Indeed quite easy to play once you know where the oil is.

I kept a balloon, which did not work any more?!
Parent - By Sven2 [at] Date 2014-08-21 14:38

> had some typos still

;
Typed all on my laptop while camping in a tent. Since you have push access, feel free to correct any typos you find. All dialogue texts are in Raid.ocs/System.ocg/StringTblDE.txt and StringTblUS.txt.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2014-08-20 21:11
I'd put some loam into the cave that you reach when you are looking for oil. I feared I had trapped myself when I fell into it, but could get out after some time.
Anyways, the engine crashed at some point, but I guess that was because I was using an outdated build! D:
I like the world, maybe some grass and decoration would make it even prettier.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-08-20 22:16
I'd say all of our scenarios should be playable in multiplayer too!
Parent - - By Sven2 [at] Date 2014-08-21 14:34
Thanks for the feedback.

> I played it until the construction of the plane and then could not find the oil, it was not so clear that you had to go back again (don't want to add any more spoilers).

OK, I changed two NPCs to tell you to talk to Newton.

> decoration (could even be a bit more, especially underground)

We don't have that much decoration. I could place "real" objects such as vehicles, tools, etc. as decoration. But then I fear the player gets needlessly distracted trying to use these items. This should be one of the first missions for Newbies after all.

I've at least placed some grass now.

> I kept a balloon, which did not work any more?!

My idea is that you get the balloon at the end of the last tutorial and keep it in this mission. Do you think it's too distracting and should be removed?

> I'd put some loam into the cave that you reach when you are looking for oil.

Done

> I'd say all of our scenarios should be playable in multiplayer too!

Were there any concrete bugs in multiplayer?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-08-21 14:42
I don't know whether it is necessary to connect the missions with the tutorials, it just makes it harder to come up with a story line for both.
Parent - - By Sven2 [at] Date 2014-08-21 15:17
I think it's important that the tutorials already capture the player's interest because they make the first impression. I don't see a problem connecting them as long as the story remains sensible if you skip the tutorial.

Someone (I think ala) suggested that the first few missions are tutorials (maybe separated in the list and labeled "tutorial missions" somehow) and the only difference between tutorial and real missions is that you can skip the tutorial (i.e.: Start using MissionAccess at the real missions).
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-08-21 16:21
This would completely block the plans I had with the original tutorials, which are a short self contained sequence with a final ending.
Parent - By Sven2 [at] Date 2014-08-21 18:42
Oh, no problem then. You just create the tutorials separately then.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2014-08-21 17:59

>Someone (I think ala) suggested

I made the suggestion that the Clonk features should be introduced in small slices. A great ideal example is the game Stronghold which has a really complex middle age simulation: But all elements (Different food, taxes, weapon counters, siege, defenses, the "Pechgrube") are introduced in different mission. Say for different food stuff: In one mission you had to hunt, in the next you had to harvest - but in the grass land worked neither so you would have to make cheese.

For weapons there was this great mission where you are raided by the enemy who had an army like you with the exception of 3 armored knights - and this was not enough to kill you but you could see that they were the last to fall and were almost immune to arrows. So in the middle of the mission some monks came and gave you the crossbow with which you could kill armored enemies, and if you didn't follow this hint you would be crushed at the end of the mission by a large number of knights. Therefore teaching you how you have to counter.

Matthes did this in Clonk Planet, too: Missions like "Submarine" and "Up High", "Rattle Snake Canyon", "Donnerberg" all introduced different elements which are important. But you weren't faced with all of them at once. It was one after the other .

This is a great concept for winning new players: They won't get bored since every mission something new is introduced. And they won't be over-burdened with the complex possibilities Clonk has to show.
Parent - By Sven2 [at] Date 2014-08-21 18:42
This is pretty much how it works already. Tutorials introduce new stuff bit by bit and the early missions don't have everything either.

E.g. the pump comes first in Crash Landing, Wall Kits in Deep Sea Mining, Grapple Bow and Tele Glove in Golden Mountain.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-08-22 16:13 Edited 2014-08-22 17:33
Some more feedback after another play through.

* The cutscenes should be less zoomed in: the smoke and the castle look very pixely.

* The underground parts, both the production of loam and getting the oil could be quite hard when the the heavy-resources will be implemented. Maybe you could simplify the passages near Mave(NPC) a bit?

* I think in general a bit too much time is spent with walking in this mission, and I feel that the different parts could be closer, so that you have to walk less.

* I could see the wood object of some of the fire effects, which looks quite odd.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-10-27 20:55 Edited 2014-10-27 20:58
I played this round online with three Finnish players (which seemed relatively new to the game). Runtime join worked by the way!!

We had a lot of trouble getting the water lake onto the lava which took us over half an hour because one of them dug the lake into the lava below the lake directly. Which is far from optimal, maybe you can block digging the lake into the wrong areas.

Another point of feedback: In this round one is running a lot from left to right, and the landscape is rather stretched... I feel there is just too much running around. I think they had fun though!

Edit: As an alternative solution to digging I felt the pump was missing, one could construct pipes though, all a bit confusing.
Parent - - By timi [de] Date 2014-10-28 12:27
I was able to use the pump in the destroyed village, which was quite easy. What happened to it in your case?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-10-28 12:31
I did not see it :) (That is then now part of my feedback, stuff is too far away and you miss things) Also with these 3 new players, we were always at different places doing different stuff, sometimes then the global dialogues seem a bit out of context.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / New mission: The Raid