Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Help. Exporting something in Blender
- - By Pyrit Date 2014-09-11 17:23
I don't really know what to do from here. I have modeled a train made from multiple meshes. I also have animations, but don't know how to make them into Actions. I also get multiple meshes, when I export it as it is, so I think the meshed need to be joined together in order to have a single mesh after exporting. But how can you have one single mesh, when you still need have seperate wheels that spin?

I'll attach the mesh, so you get an idea on what I'm trying to do. Actually I'm just trying to export it as it is and have it work ingame, or at least Ogre Meshy, with spinning wheels animations.

I hereby license the file train.blend under the CC-BY license
Attachment: train.blend (697k)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-09-11 18:37
Not sure how it's done but yes, you need to join everything to just one mesh. As for the animation, you might want to look at the lorry's model.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2014-09-15 19:11
Mmh yep, I looked into the lorry, but don't really know what's going on there.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-09-11 21:55
You can join meshes with STRG+J. Animations need to be done with an armature then - I don't think Clonk supports node animation. You'll have to assign each wheel (or each axis/pair of wheels, to make things easier) to a bone which you animate. Blender has a really great community and tutorial for that stuff.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2014-09-15 19:47
Thanks, I joined the different shapes now together. Then I created a vertex group of the front wheels. Now I think I have to assign this vertex group to a bone from the armature. I have no idea how... :( I have read several tutorials, but somehow it doesn't work.
The file looks like this now:

Attachment: train.blend (626k)
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-09-15 21:52
Just two and a half small errors. In the armature modifier that lives in the modifier-tab of the "Train Body," the "object" field must be set to the corresponding armature. To "Assign" the bone to a vertex group, all you have to do is to give them exactly the same name. Also, you'll want to make sure that "bone envelope" is not checked in the armature-modifier, because that would most likely cause the rotation to get a little funky on that part of the axis where the bone actually lives.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2014-09-16 19:57
Omg that actually worked, thanks! :D I ALMOST got it exported, even with animations.

But now the probem is this:

Either: I have it set up like in the attachment. Assigned front wheel vertices to the front wheel bone. Assigned hind wheel vertices to the hind wheel. Assigned main bone to all vertices, including front and hind wheels. When I now rotate a bone from the wheels, the wheels get really tiny and big again. In Blender and in Ogre Meshy.

Or: I assign nothing to the main bone and only assign the bones to the front and hind wheel vertices. Then in Blender the animation works fine. But in Ogre Meshy it complains that there are vertices not assigned to a bone and that these vertices will look weird when playing an animation. That's right, because then all vertices, that are not assigned to a bone (= the whole train, without the front axis) spin around the hind wheel axis.

Again idk what to do here. It would be cool if we could get the first setup to work, without the wheels getting tiny when their bone is rotated.

Attachment: train.blend (653k)
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-09-16 23:48
Just assign all "non moving" vertices (Every vertex that is not part of the wheels) to your main bone.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2014-09-18 15:45
Ah ok, I did it like that now. Thanks for the help Matthi! :D

Behold! The mighty Clonkomotive! :D
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-09-18 17:21
I'm glad it worked. The style fits! But I would suggest to work a bit more on colors - this object is the star of your scenario, right? I think it could be a bit more eye-catching. Looking forward to see more from you ;)
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-09-25 19:16
Is the model available somewhere already? I would like to use it for the intro of a mission.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2014-09-25 21:56
Here it is. Feel free to fix the animations and stuff. ;)

I hereby license the file Train.ocd under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file train.xcf under the CC-BY license
Attachment: Train.ocd (293k)
Attachment: train.xcf - unbaked texture (2770k)
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Help. Exporting something in Blender