Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Version 5.1 feedback
- - By timi [de] Date 2014-10-13 21:30
Since the release of version 5.1 I've spent quite some time playing OpenClonk after a long pause and I gotta say, I really like it! The new music is great, at first I was quite a bit sceptical but after listening to it for a while I became really fond of it. The graphics are also impressive and many scenarios like Iron Mountain have a distinct atmosphere to them.

The leap from "Back to the rocks" to here feels huge and by now the complexity has reached a nice level. Yet the fun is often diminished by small, annoying bugs and unintuitive behavior. This leads to a point where you never know whether you're doing sth wrong or if it is broken; whether it is worth keeping trying/playing or not. I've already posted some of the things that I noticed in the bugtracker, more to follow. It'd be great to see a more polished release soon, where the game lives up fully to its potential :)
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-10-13 21:56
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we're constantly improving the game based on feedback.

Some of the bugs (like getting stuck when the landscape is just wrong) aren't easy to fix and have been worked on since Clonk 1 ;)
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-10-13 22:02
Btw, even after playing a lot of OpenClonk, I still think the most basic controls - walk/jump/scale/hangle - aren't completely fluent. E.g.:
* The hangle animation always goes forward although you stopped pressing the key, which is incredible annoying.
* The transition from scale to walking on top of a cliff (CornerScale) feels wrong. It's not clear when the clonk is done scaling sometimes.
Parent - By timi [de] Date 2014-10-13 22:05
I totally agree on the hangling, I also wondered why it's the only movement where the clonk can't be stopped in between two "steps". Swimming also feels weird sometimes, especially when maneuvering through small gaps. I checked the vertices but they didn't seem to be the problem...
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2014-10-14 07:42
I think I was responsible for the hangling. The reason to do it like that back than was simply to have the Clonk complete one animation cycle, nothing else.

Also, perhaps the clonk should throw immediately and not after a few frames when the animation is halfway-through.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-10-14 08:12
I suggest we just try that out in the Controls branch to see how it feels? :)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-10-14 12:52
Thanks for the extensive feedback and reports in the bugtracker, some of these are of course known and hard to fix, but I think we all agree that the experience is influenced a lot by these bugs. Hope to be fixing some of these soon!
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-10-14 14:19
Btw, you can also try to play some rounds in the league (the Worlds and some melees) and test these functionality as well!
Parent - - By timi [de] Date 2014-10-21 22:33
The gamepad controls don't seem to be finished yet (I couldn't change them in the menu and I couldn't use the inventory menu ingame), which should be mentioned in the Controls Config and the Player Config I think. In the FAQ it says they're working great ;)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-10-23 10:21
Indeed, gamepad controls aren't working. The FAQ should be updated!
- - By Anonymous [za] Date 2014-10-14 18:02
HAY dev,

I gotta say been a while since i played open clonk v3/4 i think point being back today and i gotta say. i gotta say. i gotta say, well done you guys are doing an awesome job i am really impressed with the new look and feel really and the content improved, gfx was updated quite alot and i see alot of bugs and glitches are gone. Truly well done applause all around twice over being a developer(Java , and JScript) myself i know exactly how much work goes into this kind of project.

. feedback point 1) love the idea of missions / campaign we love to Lan Open Clonk (OC) when we get sick of other titles the more content you focus on the longer and more people will pay attention. I am even willing to help out with maps and you guys can take your pick of what why and if you want them just credit my work free of charge (my personal contribution to show how much i like what you guys are doing) lol in that same breath shout out to me at my spam mail I will check up on the mail once in a while. if and when i get time tho and suggest the software you guys prefer to make maps with or if its vanilla.

. feedback point 2) chat dialog is done well easy simple and well displayed applause yet again

. feedback point 3) moving forward I really love the co-op multiplayer element as-well as the upgrade from vanilla clonk control's functionality and content all we need is maps stories and co-op campaigns kinda said that already but that will really make the game shine even brighter than it already is.

lastly myself my friend group that play online or commonly Lan together (16 or so) play and love your work keep it up i really felt like bringing it up and voicing my thoughts and opinions which i never do so you impressed me congrats!

contact like mentioned above if possible sensor it otherwise it's all good it's my forum/registration account : stanmons@gmail.com

Kindest Regards

Stan
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2014-10-14 19:40
Wow, thank you very much Stan! It is heartwarming to hear such positive feedback. Measured at the amount of downloads we get, we get very little actual feedback.

You are welcome to create your own maps and scenarios, you probably already know that OC is extremely extensible. For creating dynamic landscapes, there is even a program that helps you with that (mape, see downloads section). You can try it out and see if its fun to design your own maps. If not, no point in doing that ;-)
Parent - - By Anonymous [za] Date 2014-10-14 21:31
thank you i'll have a look and see what i can come up with might not be a bad idea to have a uploads section? for people like me wanting to contribute in our own way to help make your project an even bigger success or should we pack the maps together and upload to a free hosting solution and just post the link here?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2014-10-14 21:59
That is the "Player Creations" subboard.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Version 5.1 feedback