Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Viewport movement
- - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-01-04 12:22
Now that Newton has fixed viewport shaking, he has also (unintentionally?) re-enabled MouseAutoScroll. What do you think about it? It feels a bit fidgety, but it does extend the view range a bit without losing the close-up view.

If we allow the feature, we have to limit the range. Because right now, you can set a config option and practically scroll the whole map even if scrolling is disabled.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2015-01-04 15:03
Not unintentionally. I should have split up the commit.

You already described the reason why I changed this. Also, scrolling is disabled by default.

It is not true that you can scroll the whole map. The maximum you can set this config option to is 100%, meaning that you can scroll as far as your clonk is still on the screen. (Mouse cursor on the left screen edge means that your clonk is on the right one). The default however is currently 33%.
So, the only reason to not have the auto scroll is that it might feel too fidgety. Let's find it out and play around with the config option (perhaps turn it down a little more to 25%?). As soon as we found an optimum - and may it be at 0%, we could perhaps remove the config option altogether and replace it with a constant. (Cause those things are not really what config options are for, IMO).
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-01-04 15:06
With this on I have hard time selecting items in menus. I am not a fan of this behaviour, also clicking GUI items at the left or bottom always results in unwanted screen movement this way.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-01-04 16:17
Sorry, I turned it off by default now before reading your posting. You can try and turn it back on, but I think it's something we can postpone until after the next release (e.g. turn it on in the controls branch so we don't forget it?)

In melees, it made playing very difficult because everything moves when you reach for UI elements and you would lose track of where your enemies are. Maybe if you've learned to use hotkeys for everything it becomes more usable.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Viewport movement