Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / French Translations ?
- - By Ilrandar [fr] Date 2015-03-16 11:37
Hello,

I discovered the game very recently and I noticed there were no french translation. I would like to make one, but I can't find any information about how to do it. Does anyone know ?

Thank you!
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-03-16 13:32
You could start by translating this file. But we don't have anyone maintaining translations, also I think some old translations from CR are also available, but I would have no idea where to find them.

Apart from that there are the translations for ingame stuff, which is in lots of different files.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-16 13:44

>Apart from that there are the translations for ingame stuff, which is in lots of different files.

Actually, I think they can all be exported to one file. That's the way translations worked in CR: you had only one file for the strings!
Parent - - By Ilrandar [fr] Date 2015-03-16 14:18
I found this : https://git.openclonk.org/openclonk.git/blob_plain/f3b77671aa2a617f92e0c773b3b438284f419d40:/docs/en.po
This is a .po file which contains all translations from deutsch to english. But I don't speak enough deutsch to translate it, I need a file where english is the main language, but I'm not sure I'll find one... If you know how to create such file from this one, I'd be glad to hear you. ^^
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-03-16 14:20
That is for the documentation, so not something you want to translate.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-05-29 13:01
A while back I wanted to suggest translating OC into Russian language since there's actually a community of Russian Clonk players. And well I'd do whole translation by myself or with help of my friends even tho it might take a lot of time (I'm familiar with StringTbl**.txt files, so it won't be really hard to translate even scenario info).

Anyways, afaik, game doesn't support cyrillic fonts and it's basically the only reason that stops me from translating any files now. If someone could make OC support cyrillic fonts, I'd gladly translate the game (yet, it will take some time to make translate the whole game with all of the objects names and stuff)
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2015-05-29 16:11
Comic Sans MS and Verdana seem to support the Russian letters but the popular standard Clonk font Endeavour doesn't. I think it would be good to add these Russian letters to System.ocg\Endeavour.ttf. Roughly 45 big and small letters combined. That's a somewhat creative task and it could be fun. The few Spain and French letters I tested in the picture are already supported.
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2015-05-29 17:19
A short-term solution could be to make the default font language-dependent, and fall back to Comic Sans for Russian.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-05-29 17:23
1. Get the source file for the OC font here: https://git.openclonk.org/openclonk-resources.git/blob/HEAD:/Endeavour.sfd
2. Add the letters you need using a font editor like e.g. FontForge: http://fontforge.github.io/en-US/
3. Generate the new .ttf (I guess FontForge can do this?)
4. Create a pull request for the modified files so we can add them to the game

Alternatively, I wonder if we should add fallbacks for individual characters to the engine? It wouldn't always look nice, but would also help e.g. Chinese players who just want to type in their own language in chat.

I'm sure doing font fallbacks for unrecognized glyphs in freetype is a known and solved problem.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-05-30 10:20
So, I made all the letters that were needed, now I'm going to create this pull request thing as soon as I will understand how to. All the git-stuff actually was so cofusing for me, so I might need some help.

I have already started translating the file from System.ocg. I'll let you know as soon as I finish translating it. Also I'd like to know if there's a way for me to install the modified font into game, so I'd see if I did some mistakes in translation by checking it ingame.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2015-05-30 13:28
Thanks! You can test the font by replacing Endeavour.ttf font file in Graphics.ocg.

For git, just create a patch with the two updated files and attach it hear under a suitable license (i.e. CC-BY or less).
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-05-30 14:08
After spending some time trying to manage how to work with this whole git-stuff I actually still didn't get it. I could either just upload the files somewhere else and after that someone who works with this git could upload the files there (if needed). Or someone could try to explain me how to work with it, but I'd rather simply upload them somewhere :D

Also, after replacing font files, I've got some random symbols displayed rather than Russian letters. After switching to Comic Sans, which should've displayed Russian letters, I've found out that Comic Sans doesn't actually display them either. So I guess I need to do something else rather than just replacing file. (I'm using lastest release version of OC)
And a couple of other related questions: Does it matter where I'm working in order to translate the files? Should I use some specific program? Should I avoid some of the programs to work with?
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2015-05-30 16:08
Click on Attach if you only want to upload files.

Does OpenClonk display IDS_x_y? Then you may used a wrong text editor. LibreOffice e.g. breaks my little Language file and Mousepad was able to undo it by recreating it.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-05-31 05:17 Edited 2015-05-31 05:30
Ok, attaching both .ttf and .sfd files to this post

Tried a couple of text editors and appears like some of them cause random symbols while other cause IDS_x_y to display. Going to keep trying different text editors until the problem will be solved or I simply run out of text editors on my PC lol

Possibly it's some encoding issue?

I hereby license the file Endeavour.sfd under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file Endeavour.ttf under the CC-BY license
Attachment: Endeavour.sfd (364k)
Attachment: Endeavour.ttf (50k)
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2015-05-31 12:27 Edited 2015-05-31 12:41
The Endeavour.ttf works well (tested on Linux and on wine). The letters look clonkish as well. :)

And I tested 2 text editors on a real Windows: WordPad didn't work, Notepad++ worked. Note that you shouldnt just open and save your modified txt with new editor. I always created a copy "LanguageUS2.txt" of the original and untouched LanguageUS.txt, replaced its content with the content of LanguageRU.txt using the new text editor, then deleted LanguageRU.txt and renamed LanguageUS2.txt to LanguageRU.txt.

>Possibly it's some encoding issue?

Yeah mb but I have no clue. Im now angry at my Office Writer because it even asked me whether the file type should remain "Text Format". Still, the file got broken...
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-05-31 13:09
Thanks for the help on how to "repair" the files. I really don't think I'd do it on my own.
Going to start translating LanguageRU.txt from System.ocg more actively.
Also, maybe I should create another topic which would be dedicated to Russian translation exlusively and post every update in new post?
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2015-05-31 13:32
I think creating new topic is okay if you want or wait until an admin moves the discussion.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-05-31 15:53
A topic for organization/progress for a translation is definitively fine.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2015-03-16 17:21
Like Maikel said, the ingame stuff is in many files. Usually inside the corresponding objects/scenarios themselves. They are StringTbl**.txt files. For example the ones here. To contribute translations you's have to get (Tortoise)GIT, then pull from the repo, then add all the missing files for french translations. Then create a patch that someone can apply (or if someone gives you push access push them yourself).

Anyways, creating a new file and filling everything in manually for every object we have seems to be a huuuge amount repetetive work. Maybe there are different ways to do it? Maybe a script would help?
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-05-29 17:35
I think there would be a few relatively easy-to-implement features that would greatly simplify string table handling. For example, string tables could register into a hierarchy so if a string is not found, the parent table is searched.

That way, you can have all localized strings of a pack in its top folder if you want. You could also outsource strings that occur often into the parent StringTbl file in System.ocg.

Alternatively, just switch to a standard solution (like gettext?).
Parent - By Caesar [jp] Date 2015-03-19 09:50
This has been thought about before. http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=327
- By Zapper [de] Date 2015-03-19 11:20
Has anyone from the original CR developers ever been involved in the CR translations?

I checked the tools directory in the old CR repos, and the subfolder language contains around 1200 lines of ruby & perl code to create language templates. But does anyone know how that works in general?
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / French Translations ?