Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Ambient brightness for time of day
- - By Maikel Date 2015-04-05 19:09 Edited 2015-04-06 17:51
Here is an attempt of using SetAmbientBrightness for implementing time of day again (instead of Gamma).

For me the updating is instant and does not present any problem, would calling this function a lot present any problems?

Known issues: the lava brightness changes with time of day as well.

I hereby license the file ambientnight.png under the CC-BY license
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2015-04-06 11:24
I remember when I did/adjusted the SetGamma-part of the day/night cycle that I carefully balanced the color of the ambient light - the night is bluish dark, the dusk is quite red, the dawn is blueish-violet. I would be very sad if we lost that.

The goal should be, in my opinion, to replace SetGamma with SetAmbientLighting (or similar); to be able to tint the ambience color.

Why do you think that using SetAmbientBrightness would cause performance problems?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2015-04-06 17:04

>Why do you think that using SetAmbientBrightness would cause performance problems?

See Sven's reply. Apparently it is not :)

The color spectrum will stay as it is (the sky is still colored), Just that gamma will be removed for now (it already was due to lag issues on linux..., or my machine at least). We can easily reimplement it when it works with the ambient lightning.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2015-04-06 12:02

> For me the updating is instant and does not present any problem, would calling this function a lot present any problems?

Ah, I think I understand now. Map recalculation would only happen if ambience range were changed; not for its brightness.
- By Maikel Date 2015-04-06 21:08
If no one objects to the changes here I will put them into master somewhen this week.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Ambient brightness for time of day