Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] How about a dragon?
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-02 22:22
Considering the dragon was part of an expansion pack for CR, I would question a Dragon addition to the base OpenClonk game. I might as well post this, anyways.
When I started modeling this, I wasn't thinking about it being a model for OpenClonk, so it's a bit hi-poly (988 triangles). Obviously, I would need to finish texturing. ;)

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-01-02 22:43
Well a bit creature like a dragon needs to have some ploys...

Your mesh looks good. The mouth looks a bit like a beak.
I would like a dragon in clonk. This one looks a bit small. A bit like a Bird-Dragon. But who says the dragons have to be as big as in CR?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-02 22:50
Is the beak-like jaw a good or bad thing? I can of course easily change it. The dragon's body isn't that big, but it is about 2.5x the size of it's head; the perspective just morphs the size. I also noticed it looked something like a bird. :/

Ortho:

Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-01-02 22:55
Well, in this perspective it even looks a bit like a goose.
If the birdish look with beck is good or bad is a bit dependent of it's purpose. If it should be a big bad almighty dragon, it's not that good.
If is should be a smaller being, that can be in masses (like birds) not as that rare and mystic creature, the bird-look fits the purpose.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-01-03 16:14
Yeah, I'd like to have a small, more flexible dragon in Clonk. Also I like the thought of a "bird-dragon".
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2010-01-03 05:01
I really like the idea of crossing a flightless bird with a dragon. Would definitely need feathers as texture.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-03 07:32
I've created a good UV-Map and already made various animations; the only important thing missing now is a nice texture.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-01-03 13:20
As Randrian said: I think it would be a better idea to keep the dragon bird-sized (maybe a tiny bit larger). The CR dragon can barely move in "normal" Clonk landscapes and it just doesn't convey some sort of atmosphere when the animals get stuck at some corners the whole time (because of their size for example)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-01-03 16:16
I think the same. Perhaps horse-size so one can ride on it ;-)
Parent - By Enrique [de] Date 2010-01-04 21:21
Remembers me to the counterpart of Metall and Magic.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-17 19:40
First scaly representation. I'll make a feathery texture when I've got less to do. ;)

Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2010-01-19 12:55
awesome. what exactly do you mean with feathers? i couldnt imagine a dragon with feathers.. :o (mimmo here from school)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-01-19 15:11 Edited 2010-01-19 15:17
To give a dragon-like creature feathers is not so new. Ringwauls dragon does not resemble the classical dragon anyway, it's smaller.

colorful blue-ish feathers
Quetzalcoatl

For a proper feathery dragon, I think there would need to be some changes on the model, too. I you commit the dragon and give me some time, I'd try to texture something nice
Parent - - By Nachtschatten Date 2010-01-19 14:13

> I'll make a feathery texture when I've got less to do.

You could use the Greasels from the Deus Ex series for inspiration. I think they got the feathery look just right. (See in-game DX1, HDTP, and some artwork.)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-01-19 15:08
The greasel looks very evil. I bet it's an enemy you got to shoot down right?
Parent - By Nachtschatten Date 2010-01-20 00:23
Yes. They were a lot less tough than their evil look made you think, though.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-20 10:39
IMO looks great. I'm not sure if feathery texture would fit it tough.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] How about a dragon?