Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Gestures/Taunts
- - By Octagon [de] Date 2015-04-25 18:26
Gestures in the vein of TF2,  Portal 2, fighting games, MOBAs and so on would be a nice little feature. I often felt like doing a little triumph pose during arena scenarios.
Thanks to 3D models, radial menus, and unlimited buttons allowing for unimportant options like this, this shouldn't take much effort to add.

mainly I want to play a bagpipe solo on the windbag
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2015-04-25 19:34
I heard there is a dance animation somewhere in the clonk model. :o
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-04-26 07:42
I would also like that. But I guess that would need someone to create a new animation for it and the (only?) guy who did all the other animations is no longer active (Ringwaul)..
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-04-26 10:57
Makes me wonder if creating animations is that difficult? Don't you just need to rotate a few bones and all the skinning is done by the engine anyway?

We need a golf club-swinging animation btw!
Parent - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2015-04-26 18:57
Not long ago I put really much effort in finding out how to create own animations with the blender template file. So I can talk it a bit about that:

As you said animating the bones itself is not that hard. You just need to have a feeling what looks natural or work with some sort of visual helpers (where has a bone about to be?). Also the model in the blender file has some helpers, which use Inverse Kinematic. With them you can create good looking things very fast and work around some weird-looking stuff which might appear while animating (e.g. twisted elbows or knees).
But the all-around stuff is very unhandy, which made it for me very frustrating. One problem is, and that's probably the smallest one, that the file itself is in an old Blender version (2.49b) and with the rise of 2.5 the UI has been reworked heavily. That makes it really hard to get how the setup should have worked. Also the python windows doesn't work anymore (atleast for me, in any 2.49 or 2.6 setup). The bigger thing is that the system for managing the animations is very fragile. I had it multiply times, that I destroyed my or another animation when doing the simplest operations, so they were inacceptable to the system. Due to both of these problems it can get really really discouraging. There are some other problems, which can be solved by having a good setup or just using the right exporter (e.g. empty bones groups for parts which are not animated. That would cause the animation stack in OpenClonk to fail, so the animation with the highest priority overwrites all the other ones with nothing).

If you want so I could upload my 2.6 Version but I don't know wether everything is alright with it or wether the file itself wouldn't fix any problems and its just made setup that allows me to export working animations.
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2015-04-28 22:35 Edited 2015-04-28 22:47
Well, you couldn't forget me, I did most of the animations of the clonk and Ringwaul reworked some of them. And yes, I am also not really active anymore. But some months ago I had reworked the animations script to enable exporting clonks with the new Blender version again. Then I had problems committing the patch. Could be due to the proper right missing, or that I used hg2git or how it was called to continue using mercurial. I should take a look at it.

EDIT: I have found the files. I didn't succeed in committing, therefore I post them here. Perhaps someone can commit these two files
I attached the script, but the blend file was too big for the attachment: http://www.renderclonks.de/files/ClonkOpenRevolution.blend
To use it, copy the script into your blender script folder. It is then listed in blender as a new exporter "Ogre Exporter Clonk", which works like the normal exporter, but has some special features used to export the clonk. It reads like our old exporter a Actions.txt to define which actions to export and which bones to use with which animation.

I hereby license the file io_export_ogreDotSceneClonk.py.ext under the CC-BY license
Attachment: io_export_ogreDotSceneClonk.py.ext - Export script (305k)
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-04-28 13:23
I could create animations if someone shows me how to export. As far as I can see, the file works fine with Blender 2.7x, though some attached objects look a bit weird. (But some, like the sword are matched perfectly, so I think that's not a problem with the file)
And I don't know how the animations of the attached objects are exported. As far as I see this, they aren't associated with the animation itself, I have to select them first before I can play the animation.
And do I have to bake the animation? Or does OC have an IK-solver?
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2015-04-28 22:04

> As far as I can see, the file works fine with Blender 2.7x, though some attached objects look a bit weird. (But some, like the sword are matched perfectly, so I think that's not a problem with the file)

This sounds like some, but not all, bones of the Clonk are exported differently than they used to.

> And I don't know how the animations of the attached objects are exported. As far as I see this, they aren't associated with the animation itself, I have to select them first before I can play the animation.

Can you describe more precisely what you mean with this? Maybe there is a misunderstanding here how attaching meshes works. The only thing that happens is that a bone of the attached mesh is aligned with a bone of the parent mesh. So for example the bow is aligned with the hand of the Clonk. The animation of the Clonk shooting with the bow is only defined in the Clonk.

> And do I have to bake the animation? Or does OC have an IK-solver?

No, the OC engine just applies pre-computed transformations to bones.
Parent - By Foaly [de] Date 2015-04-29 14:50

>> And I don't know how the animations of the attached objects are exported. As far as I see this, they aren't associated with the animation itself, I have to select them first before I can play the animation.

>Can you describe more precisely what you mean with this? Maybe there is a misunderstanding here how attaching meshes works. The only thing that happens is that a bone of the attached mesh is aligned with a bone of the parent mesh. So for example the bow is aligned with the hand of the Clonk. The animation of the Clonk shooting with the bow is only defined in the Clonk.

Okay, then it's alright if all uses the same armature. I just meant, that if I want to play the animation in Blender, I have to select the bow first, it won't be visible automatically.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Gestures/Taunts