Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Russian OpenClonk Translation
- - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-06-01 18:24 Edited 2017-01-19 14:49
19 Jan 2017 update: Unfortunately, my hard drive was broken and I've lost all of the things I've worked on. This is rather demotivating so translation is pretty much iceboxed. I might eventually return to translating the game at some point in the future, but I will probably not be doing everything alone next time. If anyone is interested in translating the game, feel free to use cyrillic version of the font attached to this post!

Right now I'm working on Russian translation of the game. I will attach all related files to original post (i.e. this one) and also I will post some questions in this topic if I will have any.

Goals:
-Create cyrillic version of Endeavour font -Done!
-Translate LanguageUS.txt in System.ocg
-Translate every scenario

Current questions:
Which program should be used in order to translate .rtf files? MS Word and WordPad display random symbols.
Possibly random symbols issue could be somehow fixed not by using right text processor/editor but some changes in game code?

I hereby license the file Endeavour.sfd under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file Endeavour.ttf under the CC-BY license
Attachment: Endeavour.sfd - Source file for Endeavour font(including Russian letters) (364k)
Attachment: Endeavour.ttf - Classic Clonk font with Russian letters (50k)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2015-06-02 00:01
Yeah, cool!

> Which program should be used in order to translate .rtf files? MS Word and WordPad display random symbols.

Usually, WordPad should do the job. If it doesn't... perhaps you can try LibreOffice?
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-06-03 09:41
LibreOffice doesn't work either :/
Appears like most or even any text processor turns russian letters in some sort of code. Saving .txt file with desired russian text and changing the extention of the file to .rtf displays right symbols but causes whole text go in a single line... And I've found hopefully a temporary solution already!
After looking through the .rtf file using Notepad++ I've noticed that "/par" creates paragraph and I tried adding "/par" in the end of every line, which actually solved the problem of having whole text be in a single line.

Obviously, files created with this "method" don't have any formatting but at least russian text is finally displayed as it's supposed to be. I'm going to stick to this "method" for a while or at least until there will be a better solution. Or maybe I could discover a way to create some formatting manually through Notepad++.

Anyways, I'm not working on translating those files atm, so I'm not going to do anything with them yet.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2015-06-03 14:47
I suspect that the charset for those RTF files is old Windows charset. Is there any option to change the charset to unicode?
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-06-21 04:20
Wanted to do a quick update, just to make sure translation isn't abadoned.
Atm I'm little bit busy to spend a lot of time translating game with some IRL things. I'll continue translating game as soon as I'm done with all the IRL stuff and also as soon as I finish updating my mod for OC (most of the work is done, even though update is quite massive)

Sadly, but I can't tell if I aim for some certain date to finish the translation. It's quite time-consuming task so it might take really long time.
- - By Maikel Date 2015-06-03 10:01
Why do we even have the .rtf format for descriptions? Wouldn't it be better to have a simple .txt with a header which is the scenario title and normal text which is the description?
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-06-03 10:08
Actually since every single original scenario doesn't use any formatting except for bold text (which doesn't display as bold anyways) and different text sizes, I agree with this idea completely (even though I'm not a developer)
Also appears like game doesn't display colored text aswell, so seems like using .rtf format is completely senseless
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-06-03 12:53
Well, the plan was to support more elaborate formatting at some point. That would definitely be useful. The reason RTF is used is of course historical, because matthes used the Windows Rich Text control back for the scenario screen in Clonk 4. But even if we change, I wonder which format to use that gives us rudimentary formatting options?

HTML seems a bit heavy, needs different components on every system and those always need security updates all the time.  On the other hand, if we used HTML, an online scenario download system like Lorry could extract and directly display the description.

Some home-grown subset using XML markup won't have proper support from editors. I like the idea that novice users can write a description in their word processing software and just save it.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-06-03 13:01

> I wonder which format to use that gives us rudimentary formatting options?

markdown? That can just be as simply displayed by some download system. Also it's easier to write for people (scripters), who never touched html or xml.
Parent - - By B_E Date 2015-06-03 13:44
Markdown would be awesome. Unfortunately it is a jungle of implementations vs. specifications (although CommonMark is doing good work here), but descriptions would probably be okay with headings and maybe some basic markup like bold and italic text.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-06-03 15:22
RTF supports setting the character set IIRC. Maybe the engine needs to be adjusted to recognize it though.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-06-03 15:24
Yes, I don't think that f.e. complex tables or image embedding is necessary for us, so we'd use a subset anyway. Maybe with lists as the most advanced feature :)

That should also be relatively easy to implement.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-06-03 15:31
Personally I'd be in favour of having a title tag, a section tag and a list option and nothing more. To prohibit developers from going crazy, also those coloured titles where always a pain!
Parent - By Anonymous [de] Date 2015-06-04 00:17
Why not {{image.png}} or whatever the syntax is? Would actually be pretty easy to implement I think and could load images from the scenario or graphics.ocg. since the font renderer already supports icons.

E.g. it could be used for icons next to the title to quickly show if it's melee or coop.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2015-06-05 11:09 Edited 2015-06-05 11:11
I've started playing around with pango to allow us to support complex text layout (in the Unicode sense), which supports some attributes out of the box.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Russian OpenClonk Translation