Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Sounds and Sub Folders
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-08-18 14:18
Does anything speak against sorting the sounds into subfolders (f.e. instead of Sounds.ocg/GlassHit1.wav we'd have Sounds.ocg/Hits.ocg/Glass1.wav)?

We will rather sooner than later have more sounds and without some sort of namespacing, we'll have a huge unmanageable list of files.

I'd also use the namespaces when playing the sounds then: Sound("Hits/Glass*").

That would only need support for recursing during loading of the sounds. The folders would then just be prefixed to the sound name.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-08-18 15:11
Would Sound("Hits/*") work as well?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-08-18 15:16
Probably? No idea how the wildcard operator is implemented. But I didn't really want to treat the folder names differently than the normal sound names. So I guess it would work
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-08-18 16:23
It wouldn't be a big deal to implement, but I don't see a good reason unless we use it to expose the structure to script.

The biggest danger I see is that sound names collide (because there are no namespaces; see bug tracker entry), and that danger would be increased if we do folders but still keep every name global in script.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-08-18 16:27

>but I don't see a good reason unless we use it to expose the structure to script.

Yes. See the line from the original post:
I'd also use the namespaces when playing the sounds then: Sound("Hits/Glass*").

I'd just append the folder structure to the sound name then. The reason would be that a huge sound folder would become pretty unmanageable and subfolders would be a pretty straight-forward way to prevent that.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-12-07 06:22
I have added sound subfolder loading and namespaces. Playback using "::" (Sound("Animals::Growl")).

Definition local sounds also need to prepend the definition (Sound("Clonk::Step") to playback Step.ogg in Clonk.ocd).

I have also moved all object sounds into Sound.ocg. If we move them back we need to adjust all calls to Sound() to use the namespaces. But the distinction between sounds in Objects.ocd and sounds in Sound.ocg was completely random anyway, now at least it's consistent. And it helps if you make a new object and want to re-use an existing sound.

I was surprised that we already have 227 sounds (plus a few scenario-specific sounds)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-12-07 09:25
cool :)
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-12-07 10:29
Neat.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-12-07 12:21
You forgot to move all the licensing information to Sounds.ocg/authors.txt
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2015-12-07 13:42 Edited 2015-12-14 00:20
Great news, especially that you removed local sound files. Those were really random and inconvenient. Let's see what needs to be done, let's best do this by teamwork:

1) The milestone currently has some folder categories (which have subfolders like a clonkSkin or an animal). See Screenshot. I discussed and settled on those with Zapper in sommer, but we can discuss some more. Those folders should be added to the sound directory.

2) The current sounds should be sorted into the sound folders. Some Sounds should probably get a clearer name, although I already scanned through the directory and found the names far better than in Clonk Rage. The only thing I would definitely rename is the sound "Blowout" (that is actually used in the chemical laboratory).

3) Zapper mentioned that he can rename all Sound() calls in the object scripts with a search script, if that is less work than doing it per hand, it's probably a good idea. What definitely should be done is adding a warning for a missing sound (if a Sound Call doesn't find a sound), so we can quickly find all outdated sound calls.

4) The credits from all the current sounds should be clear and added to the Author.txt. Apparently some sounds are not credited, who knows about their whereabouts?

5) Now I will add all milestone Sounds along with their credits, and remove the milestone sound pack along with that. All future sounds will go directly into the main package.

6) I will add the milestone sound guideline to the sound folder for new sounds (a short text, telling some stuff: Sound should mostly be mono for a better sound placement, which formats work etc.)

----

Last step:
Actually use the sounds :D. I can make a list for all the milestone sounds, where I thought they could be used when I made them.. but in general we just should use a lot more sounds.

[Edit] In the screenshot, the "raw recordings" category is not for clonk and was used for working in the dropbox.
Attachment: Categories.jpg (68k)
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2015-12-07 17:06 Edited 2015-12-13 09:45
Ok, I went through all the sounds and updated the main credits..

Some sounds are not credited:
-FishMunch1 - no credits in RC2 7.0
-TreeCrack, TreeLanding - no credits in RC2 7.0
-IceHit1-2 - no credits in RC2 7.0
-DiamondDigOut - Sound not found in RC2, probably very new

-SmokeSizzle - Sound not found in RC2, probably very new
-BoomPackLaunch - forgotten or not mentioned in the boompack credits
-PlaneCrash - forgotten or not mentioned in the plane credits
-WallkitKlick, WallkitLock - forgotten or not mentioned in the wall-kit credits

The credits from following objects have been incoporated into the authors.txt and should be removed from the repository:
-Chest
-Elevator
-Furnace

-Sawmill
-Clonk
-Shovel
-Axe
-Windbag
-Arrow

-Plane
-Bow
-Javelin
-Boompack
-Sword
-Shield
-Musket
-Ammo

-Objects\Goals\Parkour\CheckPoint
-Objects\Structure\StoneDoor and Objects\Structure\StoneDoor\Spinwheel
-Objects\Environment\Waterfall
-Arena.ocf\Overcast\Scrolls\Fireball
-Arena.ocf\Thunderour Skies\Scrolls\Fireball
-Arena.ocf\Frozen Fortress\Scrolls\FrostBolt
-Pickaxe

Renaming:
The sound "pop", that is the eject sound for objects from buildings. Is not really intuitive - we should rename it. Suggestions?

I renamed some sounds, for example DrawBow is now just Draw but located in Objects\Weapons\Bow or BoompackLaunch is located in Objects\Boompack and named Launch. So nothing too fancy. A list of renamed sounds is included into the attachted Sound.c4g

[Edit] I deleted the ala Credits and also some ogg files from me in the sound pack. Will include the credits and also the wav-Files I maintained from the milestone soundpack after the pure OC soundpack work is done.
Attachment: Sound.ocg.zip (7607k)
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-12-07 21:32

> -DiamondDigOut - Sound not found in RC2, probably very new
> -PlaneCrash - forgotten or not mentioned in the plane credits
> -WallkitKlick, WallkitLock - forgotten or not mentioned in the wall-kit credits

I made them

> -IceHit1-2 - no credits in RC2 7.0

I think I also made these by modifying GlassHit sounds.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2015-12-08 23:03

>-FishMunch1 - no credits in RC2 7.0

After diving a bit through history, I can now say that Sven added the sound in 48fadf13ce269b00f7ee9e45fcc0e1630da4ada9.
And because it looks so, so similar to "Munch", I guess it's just a modified version of "Munch":
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2015-12-07 19:29 Edited 2015-12-07 23:52
Finished incorporating the milestone package into the above sorted main-package. It has a completely up to date credits now, and I also renamed some milestone sound files to fit into the normal package, so for example Sounds start with Blast4 so we don't have two times Blast1 etc.
The issues from the previous post remain though.

Another new thing inside the SoundFolder are now the SoundSkins - that's why all old Clonk sounds like "Die" and Confirm1 etc. were put into a folder called OldSkin.

I also added a SoundGuideline with some details, that's actually the guideline I made for the milestone just translated. K-Pone has not yet posted a CC-By statement for his sounds yet, although I listed his sounds under that in the credits. I'll talk to him if I see him, apart from that my part should be done for 7.0.
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-12-07 21:29 Edited 2015-12-07 21:48
Since all sounds are loaded at startup and we don't actually need all the ingame sounds in the menu, maybe we can move most sounds from Sound.ocg to Objects.ocd/Sound.ocg and only keep the UI sounds in the main Sound.ocg/UserInterface.ocg.

Also if a sound is clearly to be used for a specific definition, I don't see why it shouldn't be put into that definition. I moved them out for now because scripts need to be adjusted for local sounds, but that doesn't mean we need to keep the huge sound folder.

Of course we'd have to fix the sound deactivation bug then.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2015-12-09 13:00 Edited 2015-12-09 13:04

>I can make a list for all the milestone sounds, where I thought they could be used when I made them..

I made the list, now someone would have to add the sounds to the game :)
Attachment: Uselist.txt (5k)
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-12-07 12:19
By the way, looking at the Sound folder, I saw that we've got 65 .wav files in the game. Is there a reason for this or can we simply convert all of them into .ogg?
Parent - Date 2015-12-07 12:37
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2015-12-07 23:25
Isn't this premature optimization?
(Note that I'm not sure what "this" is. Compressing them, or worrying about the quality of the compressed sounds.)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-12-07 23:38
So far it was simply a guideline.
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-12-07 23:45
It's a premature guideline! We need to conduct a study first.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Sounds and Sub Folders