Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Music loading optimization
- - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-10-10 03:17
Since I just saw ck's ogg loading optimization commit: ogg files are only preloaded at program startup if the Music.ocg is packed (because otherwise extreme lag is caused on music switches). I have already modified the windows installer to unpack the global Music.ocg after installation (also if ala's bonus music pack is downloaded).

Maybe snapshots should also have unpacked Music.ocg? I don't know if that causes any other problems.
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [us] Date 2015-10-10 15:07
I'm playing from the repo with unpacked Music.ocg, so this is probably something else. I think it's the sounds being loaded that takes so long, not the music. By the way, even after my commit 60% of startup time is still spent decoding ogg files. I was thinking about loading them in memory in compressed form at startup and decoding them lazily as they are actually being played.

I can make snapshots have unpacked Music.ocg, but the snapshots don't contain ala's music pack anyway...
Attachment: oc_startup.png (192k)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2015-10-10 15:35 Edited 2015-10-10 16:55
The problem  is the huge packed Music.ocg that you get from the downloads section. :o

Oh, and I think playing the same 3 songs over and over again is worse than having no music at all. So the snapshots and installer should contain no music at all.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Music loading optimization