Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Intel IGD
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-10-26 14:38 Edited 2015-10-27 11:23
We do have quite a lot of severe bugs, some of which a fairly old and maybe fixed by now(?), regarding intel graphics chips:

"snowing" by black pixels with Intel IGD
Crash on loading scenario with Intel IGD
Crash on starting round with Intel IGD
Crash on starting round with Intel 82945G Express Chipset
Game crashes on scenario start with Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset
Crash in Nightly Build with Intel IGD
Two crashes while playing
Tabbing out and in with fullscreen results in crash with Intel IGD

The introduction from Milligold
This thread by Zura

I can confirm that with an HD 2000 chipset, the game still looks like this:

Now, I am opening this thread to ask you what our 'official' statement regarding Intel chipsets will be. I suspect that with the upcoming release having more and more shader features, we could face more crash reports like these. Are we to say that we don't officially support Intel GPUs and what works, that works. Maybe even that people having problems should either stick around and wait for a dev to do some extensive testing together with them or otherwise their bugs won't get fixed.
Or are we still trying to make it work on as many system as possible, implemented workarounds and so on, trying to get whatever information we can by asking again and again?

If we decide to drop Intel support, we can write this prominently on the website. Right now, it would probably just be honest as many Intel driven systems can't run OC.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2015-10-26 15:37
I had message exchanges and sometimes also debug engine tries with: Sven, ck, Newton and if I recall correctly also with Isilkor.

So at least on my machine it seems to be pretty hard to fix this. Ck tried to fix the bug 2 weeks ago - his fix however didn't work for me. From the screenshot I assume it doesn't seem to work for you either.
Also Newtons debug engine worked on his machine, but not on mine. This bugfix attempt was in August.

I would be open for more testing and investing time into this, but my computer is a mess anyway :) - so it probably is not the best testing ground.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2015-10-26 16:09
For the "snowing" issue it's probably calculating scaler coordinates wrong - it looks a lot like it correctly copies and colours the scaler, just at the wrong positions. Maybe forcing the scaler texture to a power-of-2 size could help.

... but that's just some idle thoughts, I suppose solving the crashes has higher priority.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2015-10-26 16:12
The question is whether or not we can solve the crashes. If someone with old intel hardware pops up and is willing to help, then maybe yes. But what about those super old bugs? I don't think the people are still around here.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2015-10-26 21:40
It runs fine on my Intel HD 4000 now. (Because of Clonk-Karl's workaround and because I realized that I get much more current drivers if I download the drivers from Intel.com rather than Windows update.)
I guess it does not run fine on yours and ala's PC because your graphic chips really has the limitation that causes the workaround to kick in (while mine only claims it has that limitation) - and the workaround simply does not work for Intel chips.

Regarding this "official place", I suggest creating a list of graphic chips in the FAQ with which Clonk does not run (correctly), best with each links to the bug report.

I am not sure here if the "Intel HD 4000" graphics chip differs from CPU to CPU or if it is always the same as long as it is still "Intel HD 4000" and not 2000 or anything else. Would we have to add "Intel i3-3227U chipset" to the list (if it wouldn't work) or what?
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-10-26 23:21
The problem with Intel chips is that it's very common for people to have old drivers. People without dedicated GPUs typically don't care about gaming and performance too much, so they just take whatever driver is installed.

I wonder if going back to CPU skinning for old drivers would be an option?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2015-10-26 21:44
Also, let's delete those old bug reports from 2011-2012 where the attachments got lost (sorry, that was my fault back then during an update) because they don't help (anymore) to find the problem and might as well be fixed already.

In fact, I got several mail delivery system errors when you linked the bugs to each other today because even the mail address given by the bug reporter does not exist anymore. (Reporters are notified of changes via email.)
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-10-26 22:02

> even the mail address given by the bug reporter does not exist anymore

Huh! Well then I'll close the bugs.
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2015-10-27 15:46
I had a similar result once I exported a mesh, where I had moved the mesh and the skeleton in the blender file. As a result the, when I used the new mesh with the old clonk skeleton I had these weird vertex-expositions in-game. Thinking that way there must be a problem with setting up the bones correctly in different GPUs. But its hard to think of such case as there is nothing in the GPU-sided part of the vertex skinning that gives me reason to think it as an errorsource. Nevertheless I wanted to give that information for it might be useful... probably... (which might be obsolete thinking as some of you guys have by far a better understanding of that then I do and its a pretty obvious fact, regarding the trees and the lorry ( I guess no bones) haven't got these "bugs"))
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-10-27 17:34
Yeah, the bug only affects animated models. The lorry isn't spared though, look where the wheels are ;)
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Intel IGD