Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Object Market
- - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-10 18:17
Hi,

i have a strange but cool idea:

we could implement a buy/sell mode where you do not have a fixed-price homebase material but you have an object market  (over the internet) where you can offer your objects for a certain price or in a system like ebay.

That means:
- Jumpy produces a TeraFlint
- he wants to sell it, so he says the price is 35 ¢.
- Locky needs a TeraFlint
- there are two offers: Jumpy with 35 ¢ and Maikel with 37 ¢ --> he will buy Jumpys flint and gets the money

you can decide if you want to have the market local (only in the specific game), game-local (every game with the same checksum in the internet) or global (everyone can sell and buy from each scenario)

what do you think about?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-01-10 21:29 Edited 2010-01-10 21:48

>global (everyone can sell and buy from each scenario)

We're not an mmo yet.
And that won't work, since some scenarios offer a huge ammount of this, others base on the lack of that.

scen-global sounds like fun in some situations, but like rubbish in others.

Local is fine, but it needs something like the KI-trader in Space Launch.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-01-11 08:58
I agree with Caesar. It just wouldn't work due to the amount of players playing such a scenario (since it could not be activated in every scenario anyway)
(though it would be cool to have socket access via C4Script :)  (and filesystem!!1))
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-01-12 11:55
Phou, filesystem access sounds a bit dangerous. (Free socket access as well.) We have to restrict it a little.
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-13 13:26
you could access a socket which gives you access to a restricted (or unrestricted) filesystem
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-01-13 16:33
Well, therefore restricted socked access, to evade silly windows users freeing all their drives.
At best, I'd like to ban LAN access. A scenario must also commit itself to one server to connect to, and the right to do that could be granted by the user.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-13 17:04
i would only allow a http access. (requesting pages)
http is very spread, you can easily write a php script or some other CGI so it could be an element to lead other influences into the game. (for example a stock market with a price like the current number of online players)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-11 10:28
It would be nice to create master server, that would allow all players to play a game, in which they can sell, buy, etc. objects to others, and eventually 'visit' them, or play a battle with them. This would be really neat idea. Imagine something like that:
Jumpy starts a special type of game, in which he can meet other people.
Stuart is laready playing at a map full of lava.
Jumpy needs lava, so he offers Stuart $100 in order to be able to visit him, and create there pipe draining some lava.
Stuart agrees, Jumpy connects to his game.
Jumpy betrays him, and destroys his magic towers.
Stuart finds his friend Arnold entered master-server a while ago, and makes him a request to destroy Jumpy's base on hismap.
Normally Jumpy's map is in unknow location, because he is not present there, so it is hidden, but Stuart tells him location.
Jumpy goes back and kills Arnold.
And so on. :P

Don't you think, that it could be fun to extend Carli's idea even more?
Parent - - By cOOL sp0T [de] Date 2010-01-11 13:07
I'm on the self opinion like Caesar. The game content is not completed. In this stadium you can not build a MMO. Believe me, i have many knowledges with MMO systems like WoW, LA2, RO and other MMO Servermodules. The game must became first a really playable singleplayer version before you can start to write a Serversystem for that, but if this starts here, i would helping with this. :)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-11 15:37
Yes. I know, I would NEVER want OC to become a MMO, as MMO's are world most boring and worst games, that exist. Also for now you're right, that with so not-much content it would be a bit stupid to create something like this, but nobody said, that it should be done now.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-01-11 16:12
It seems, like you're talking about a MMORPG. There are a lot of diffrent MMO's, that have nothing to do with roleplay games.
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-11 17:03
cool Idea!

maybe we could use a system like Clonk2 that you have a map on the server and you can join several fights or worlds you can enter (dynamically created by the server) and when the game is over, the resulting world is sent back to the server.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-11 19:16
:D

I was actually thinking about this as well. I think the server would need to delete worlds which were too old, so these areas would be a:refreshed, b:unclog the server.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-12 10:41
maybe we should write a world-importing-library for making custom servers.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-01-12 11:58
Combine Clonk Yard and dedicated servers and you have what you want...
This Idea is nice, but the effort is that huge that I'd consider it as unrealistic.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-01-11 17:42

>Don't you think, that it could be fun to extend Carli's idea even more?

Well, if both Jumpy and Stuart want to wait five minutes until Jumpy's runtime-join is completed.. :)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-11 18:41
:P
Well... that could be a bit of a problem :P
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-12 10:39
not if we implement a second objectposition-oriented network mode
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-01-12 11:59
You forgot the landscape.
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-12 15:27
but that will also work - just look at minecraft which transfers 512x512x512 voxel maps in realtime.

Edit: they have gzipped 32x32x32 sub maps and single voxel changes were transferred in realtime.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-01-12 17:36
If we keep these little possibilities of effecting the landscape, I actually don't see a need to transfer most of the real changes, transferring FreeRect etc. as a command would be fine. And if you subdivide the map and transfer only the needed parts, I see it as possible to offer a fast and non server-stopping runtime join. Who will implement it?
Parent - - By PeterW [de] Date 2010-01-13 00:03 Edited 2010-01-13 00:06
Sounds great, go for it :]
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-01-13 16:40
I think carli wanted to...?

Well, seriously, I can think about this stuff, but I am by means not powerful and intelligent enough to do that.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-01-13 08:49
I do not have that overview on the engine and also i do have to do with gwX2 (it's really becoming good).
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2010-01-12 23:31
And then a desync after some minutes of playing :(
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-01-13 16:46
Or after one frame...
Parent - By Kanibal [de] Date 2010-01-13 15:08
yeah, let's create animal crossing wild world #2...
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Object Market