Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Feedback
- - By Apfelclonk Date 2015-11-05 21:35
I played a bit of settlement(Golden Mountain?) after a long time and here is what I've got:

I was positively suprised how much the game already changed and how much fun it makes to settle in Clonk (again). Also the direction of the graphical style feels way more comfortable and pleasing to the eyes. And I really like to say how awesome it feels with the Shift-button to collect things. It feels so logical and natural, no weird collect-and-throw to get your wished material. Its just a huge improvement. Also it gives some clearness to heavy-object-stuff in difference to the old misleading overloaded spacebar action. Another that noticeable thing was the menu for productions et cetera. Even though I didn't get it instantly, as I was used to the old system, it just took a few minutes and I was completely fine with it. I never collected so fast, so many coal and put it that fast into my foundry.

Here are some small comments onto aspects which I felt could be improvemed.

-Very specific: The sound of the windmill was a bit weird. For fast rotation the sound-files were way too slow and too low(dark?) and too complex. I think when a wheel rotates fast the sound it makes when its not perfect gets higher and less complex as it gains speed. On the other way the sound loop wasn't fitting for slow rotation as the sound should play less often and infrequently.

-Another sound-specific thing: The sound modification in caves is pretty awesome. The echo gives you the feeling of a long dark cave you are about to explore. But on the same page, if you hit the stone right before your feets you still should here some direct, unmodified sound, as it doesn't change that much in first place, without bumping onto walls and come back as echo. This "natural" sound might fall of if you are furthur away for its source. I'm already excited for multiplayer explorations of caves where you here your friends afar. Or just some creepy monsterns moaning in there nests.

-The flag texture from its tissue should be changed. The pattern doesn't follow the shape of it and therefore looks a bit poorly in its design.

-The main reason why I write this article: In my few attempts today I died. After that I felt dimotivated. Even though I could buy a new one after I collect some gold, the death of my subject felt irreparable and gave a bat taste to the rest of the round. On the other hand, having 50 Clonks on sale at the flagpole for only 25 Gold felt like cheating and takes away the importance on each of my subject. That lead my to an uneasy feeling about the current system of the retrieve-a-clonk-system. I think its hard to ponder out a system which fits to long and complex scenarios where you build up hugely, where Clonks may die or you simply want to expand your army(where a forgive and get another Clonk system isn't too bad though) and these small settlement scenarios where loosing a Clonk results in the feeling of a loss in general. Probably there would be a good way in getting the Clonks savely back and reviving them, to make you value these few Clonks more and having another solution prepared instead of getting a new one, which gives the described response to your mistake. A reviving stone, which lasts only x-times per scenario or whatevs, that's in my mind. What do you think about that?
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2015-11-05 23:34

> Very specific: The sound of the windmill

With the pitching we can actually do that and pitch the sounds higher when the windmill turns faster. Good thinking!

> The main reason why I write this article:

We actually plan to fit all scenarios with a relaunch mechanism. So that you don't need to buy another clonk at all.

Also, thanks for the feedback!
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2015-11-06 00:29
Thanks for your sound feedback.

>-Another sound-specific thing: The sound modification in caves is pretty awesome. The echo gives you the feeling of a long dark cave you are about to explore. But on the same page, if you hit the stone right before your feets you still should here some direct, unmodified sound, as it doesn't change that much in first place, without bumping onto walls and come back as echo. This "natural" sound might fall of if you are furthur away for its source. I'm already excited for multiplayer explorations of caves where you here your friends afar. Or just some creepy monsterns moaning in there nests.

Actually in nature you hear sound mostly from the reflection of the room and only 20-30% is the direct signal. Currently in the game we only hear the reflection, so no dry signal at all - right?

We can probably achieve a correct sound by mixing the dry and the wet signal. This is also the common way of using such plugins. The dry signal should get quieter with increasing distance, so at a longer range you only hear the reverb. And at a close range you should hear both.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-11-06 01:45
I'm pretty sure both original and mixed signal are played. If you want, you can play with the parameters in the script of Ambience.ocd. The parameters are documented here:

http://docs.openclonk.org/en/sdk/script/SoundModifiers.html (See table "Reverb modifier")
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2015-11-06 12:32
I've put it on a trello card, will test and play around with it if I finde some time. (also the other Sound thing)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2015-11-06 18:51

>Sound("Ding",,,,,,,long_reverb_modifier);

°-°
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Feedback