Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Shoot 'em up mode. Classic DM
- - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-11 11:05
Developing whole building and research tree system along with implementing many other things is a huge, complicated task, because of which it will probably take some time until fairly playable version, that can be played for longer time either in melee or settlement. Until then we could make something, that is incredibly simple, yet could be very playable...
What about implementing a DM mode? This would be very simple - Goal to get specified amount of points gained by killing enemies, and rule to respawn after being killed (best if quite far from battle) with chosen weapon. This should not be too hard - design a SMG, a machine gun, rocket launcher, grenade launcher, sniper rifle, shotgun and maybe some other weapons. Supply player with Weapon+Grenades+Eventually a shovel.
That should be very simple to implement, while with mouse control it could be a lot of fun playing online.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-01-11 17:44

>This should not be too hard - design a SMG, a machine gun, rocket launcher, grenade launcher, sniper rifle, shotgun and maybe some other weapons. Supply player with Weapon+Grenades+Eventually a shovel.

I am sure hazard-like extension packs will be developed sooner or later
But in the main branch (if I can call it that way) your weapons would more likely be bow, musket, swords and stuff like that. While that doesn't mean that it would be any less fun with those medieval weapons :)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-11 18:39
Yeah, but machine guns and rocket launchers are far easier to implement, and dont need to be polished too much, while adding these few things could - for now - serve instead of magic-medival kinda stuff. These few rules and weapons could bring many fun, especially to people liking games like soldat, and it could - eventually - make more people come to OC project.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-01-11 19:00
Well I don't think showing an other main game concept, then we are actually aiming at, is a good idea to get new supporters. Clonk isn't soldat and it's main theme shouldn't be something like Hazard.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-11 19:04
Of course no! But since OC is not CR there could few main themes, and one of them could Hazard, and since it is easier to implement - we could do it without too much effort. When I'll find some time to use on this I'll try to do something.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-01-11 19:14
I don't think hazard stuff is easier to implement.
Ideally, once you have the basic implementation of the musket stuff you will be able to create new weapons with only a few clicks and adjustments (since everything will be totally dynamic!)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-11 20:19
I think currently the musket needs to be modified a bit to support fully dynamic weapon creation. It only supports single shot guns atm.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-01-12 15:52
The musket and the bow should both not implement functionality twice but inherit from some base-projectile-weapon-object and just overload some functions (like in hazard)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-13 00:37
This won't be hard to fix from the current system. Once I get my OpenClonk data I'll start work on that. :)
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2010-01-12 16:48
Isn't just one musket enough? Next to the meele use, the musket could be used to shot animals and so on...
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-12 17:26
It seems OpenClonk is around the era of the 1600-1750s, so I don't think a hand operated minigun is a very good idea. However, another gun that would be nice to implement would be the blunderbuss. Or maybe just have two types of shot for the musket: a:lead shot , b:musket ball.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-01-12 22:07
I think we should only use as few weapons as possible (one with a ballistic trajecory (bow), one with a straight shot (musket)) and rather offer different types of ammunition for those two
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-13 00:39
Hm, I think it's also logical to have different ammos instead of different guns; as this is the way the bow works with arrows.
Parent - - By cOOL sp0T [de] Date 2010-01-13 16:32
gatling gun from Anno 1862
I think this stationairy gun is the oldest rotation gun in the history of humans.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-13 17:22
Well, heck. Technology advances in Clonk I assume, so we don't need to have the general style based on entire centuries just for a cool few inventions from them. :p
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Shoot 'em up mode. Classic DM