Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Straight lines and cutting trees
Poll Should the shoveling direction snap to a 90° angle to make it easier for the player to create level surfaces?
Yes 11 69%
No 5 31%
- - By Fluff [gb] Date 2016-01-31 19:22
So back in in previous versions of Clonk one could dig horizontal lines quite easily, which made making nice-looking and minecart-friendly tunnels fairly simple. In contrast, the best I can do in OC is to zoom out as far as possible and try and put the mouse at the same height as my Clonk, but then then it's a bit unreliable.
Possible solutions I could think of would be some way of using the shovel to dig in cardinal directions (shift+click, maybe?) and alternate tool for doing so, the abilty to place loam "bridges" similar to the metal bridge kit. On a related note, I think the stone basement could use some adjusting. If I make buildings before creating the basements, I end up with a gaps scattered between them, which looks kind of off. I don't think basements should be built like a normal building, instead perhaps have them be built in the workshop and then placed like a metal bridge-kit, except only make it possible to place them underneath your Clonk, instead of in the air like a bridge-kit. Incidentally, I think basements should be removeable - I accidentally blocked my elevator shaft with a basement, which was quite frustrating.

My other suggestion is related to tree-cutting. In CR, you could have a Clonk start cutting a tree and then do something with another Clonk in the mean-while. I think lacking this hurts CR; being stuck just holding down the left mouse button until the tree falls is rather dull. If a trying to automate the Clonk's behaviour isn't feasible, I propose a new tool: The Lumberfier! Resembling a box covered in saw-blades, whirling axes and other sciencey-doohickeys, this device can be put near trees and turned-on (via the E-key interaction menu) to automatically cut them down, or process them into wood if its secondary mode is engaged. It should only give the same amount of wood as a clonk with an axe, dragging-fallen trees to a sawmill is still more efficient; the lumberfier just frees up your clonks (and you) to do more interesting things.

I figure the Lumberfier could either be a carry-heavy object, or a vehicle like the minecart. Another possibility would be to give it wheels, and make it able to move, so that can automatically move through a forest and chop it down. Power might be an issue. I guess one could have it be fueled by a small amount of coal or wood, or have a clonk ride on it powering it with a dynamo, or just say that it burns sawdust and wood chippings from the trees it cuts.

Anyway, version 7.0 is seeming pretty fantastic, props to all the hard work you guys into it.

P.S. happy new year.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2016-01-31 20:13

> Shovel

The digging could be made to "snap" to 90° / -90° degrees if the user is close to it. But it never striked me as an inconvenience.

Let's add a vote.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2016-01-31 20:17
I don't see the point either. I think basements and bridge segments (bridge segments already snap to create level surfaces!) can be used if people want flat surfaces. In the future, I hope we will also have concrete. Personally, I also think that flat earth surfaces typically don't look that great.

But you're not the only one who would like level digging. The Milestone project also holds a vote for this question at the moment: https://clonkspot.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=664
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2016-01-31 20:24
I'd happily use basements if it weren't so awkward avoiding gaps between them, and the aforementioned accidentally-blocking my elevator and having no way to remove the basement.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-01-31 22:08
Deconstructing buildings is something we might really add to the interaction menu!
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2016-01-31 22:24
Yes, of course you should be able to deconstruct basements in your own base! It's not a big deal to implement I think.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2016-01-31 21:53

>So back in in previous versions of Clonk one could dig horizontal lines quite easil

Yes Sven mentioned it, we are actually just discussing this matter in the milestone. Armin did some testing with a 15 degree-snap that looks quite good in my book, I'll attach his screenshot. I also think that straightend lines are useful for vehicles and transport-stuff like the railroad that is in planning.

>In CR, you could have a Clonk start cutting a tree and then do something with another Clonk in the mean-while. I think lacking this hurts CR; being stuck just holding down the left mouse button until the tree falls is rather dull.

Good call. I totally agree and always feel the same way while chopping a tree. At least for this one particular action, it should continue if you switch the Clonk. It's not like you can chop yourself into lava.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2016-01-31 22:59
New tools to make something "less annoying" are maybe not the best options here. in most scenarios, you need to get a small settlement up and running before being able to construct any tool. Is it really worth to build a foundry and a tools workshop to get the lumberfier so you can chop the wood to build your elevator?
(Spoilers: Its not) The lumberfier doesnt give the player any value except some time in the long run, and time is rarely a limited ressource in scenarios where you build a settlement. Its just so much cheaper and less hassle to chop down trees the standard way.
You could put the lumberjack automaton into the starting tools, but that might make the axe obsolete completely.
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2016-01-31 23:08

>You could put the lumberjack automaton into the starting tools, but that might make the axe obsolete completely.

Would making the axe obsolete for something easier to use be so bad?

> Is it really worth to build a foundry and a tools workshop to get the lumberfier so you can chop the wood to build your elevator?

There's a difference between spending a bit of time chopping down some trees to get your elevator versus staring at a clonk swinging his axe over and over until you have you have enough wood for the 10 flags you need for the scenario goal.

> and time is rarely a limited ressource in scenarios where you build a settlement.

It's not just about saving time, it's about making the game more fun. As it is, tree chopping is boring. It might not be much in a scenario, but add up the time you have to spend in every scenario where you need a bunch of wood and it starts to seem quite off-putting.

Besides all that, I'm not saying the lumberfier is something that the game absolutely needs, I'm simply referencing the issue of tree-cutting. If you dislike the lumberfier, feel free to suggest an alternate solution (such as clonks cutting trees automatically, for example)
Parent - - By Mupf [de] Date 2016-02-01 01:08
Am I the only one who enjoys chopping trees?
You don't normally need too many if you have a sawmill and with the rocking motion and wood shavings flying around its quite enjoyable to just watch.
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2016-02-01 01:44
Well you can carry on chopping them manually if you want to.
Parent - By Apfelclonk Date 2016-02-02 11:29
Totally. And picking through the mountain with a pickaxe is just awesome too =3
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-01-31 23:47

>The lumberfier

I am on one side with Matthias here.

I'd propose making chopping an interaction, though. That means instead of holding the mouse button, you would use "Space" and that would start chopping the tree. That would also solve that you accidentally hit your teammates while trying to chop a tree.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2016-02-01 03:03
But but holding a mouse button to chop a tree is very popular among other games (hitting teammates while doing it surprisingly too .) :(
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2016-02-01 10:15
"Ooops" *snicker*
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-02-01 10:22
Yes, within a small margin of error, let's say at most 5 degrees.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Straight lines and cutting trees