Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
- - By Maikel Date 2010-01-14 14:02
I scripted a disaster control object, and also started on scripting four disasters(volcano, earthquake, meteor, rockfall). The basic idea is to remove disaster control from the engine, i.e. the scenario entries, and the stuff in C4Weather, and replace it with the disaster control object. The object can be used by scenario's just by calling
SetDisaster(string szDisaster, int iChance) ,
so you can set every disaster available with some chance. Off course the global disaster launch functions Launch* are also there.

It can be found here: bitbucket
If anyone is interested to create some graphics, for the meteor/rockfall/chunk of lava or some particles(meteor tail), please do so.

Are there any objections to removing it from the engine?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-01-14 14:07
Imo, disasters fit nicely into the concept of environment objects we already have.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-01-14 14:12 Edited 2010-01-14 14:23
What is the concept we already have?

Or do you mean that thing, where you'd need two objects for extra disaster you introduce.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-01-14 15:19
We do have environment objects. I believe rockfall is already implemented as an environment object; earthquakes, volcanoes, etc. could become environment objects, too. The "earthquake object" can be the same as the environment object, so we don't need two objects for each disaster.

The advantage of an object based approach is that you can have a nice list, including pictures and descriptions, of available/activated environment objects.

The disadvantage is that we do not have parameters associated with each disaster (except by activating it multiple times). But that's something we need to implement anyway for environment objects (e.g. "amount of rockfall?"), game goals (e.g. "which buildings need to be built?") and rules ("how many relaunches? relaunch cost?").
Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-01-14 15:25
That's indeed a better solution, although it's not completely clear to me how such a lists would work in the scenarion.txt.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-15 14:27
I'd also like to request:
Crack (produces big, long crack in earth)
Sandstorm(strong wind; lots of sand from side of map)
Like above but for other mats
Disaster, that creates incredibly strong wind affecting even items and clonks not covered in tunnel mat, and loosens pixels around edges of terrain