Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Inventory stealing
- - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-05-24 17:04
Using the inventory menu, it's currently possible to steal from the inventory of any other Clonk while standing in front of them. This currently even works with enemy Clonks.

I don't think this is a good mechanic to have. It's very confusing to have your items disappear and makes griefing in online rounds very easy.

I propose we disallow inventory stealing in all cases except with your own Clonks. Note that I only want to disallow taking items from other Clonks. Voluntarily giving items to other Clonks is a good thing to have.

Comments?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-05-24 17:46

>This currently even works with enemy Clonks.

That's clearly a bug and not intended.

>Note that I only want to disallow taking items from other Clonks. Voluntarily giving items to other Clonks is a good thing to have.

Sounds worth a try. You could still give e.g. fused dynamite to your allies, but if you do that you should probably be kicked anyway.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2016-05-24 22:27
If you can steal my sword from those slow-to-operate menus while I'm whacking you with it, so be it… (I'm not entirely serious on this.)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-05-24 18:02
In what round can you steal from enemies? I guess only those where your opponents are not really hostile, or?
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-05-24 18:12
It worked in yesterday's round of Magma Moles while I was trapped together with Sven.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-05-24 18:30
Maybe it is not correctly implemented for teams?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-05-24 18:03
Not talking about getting stuff from enemy clonks (because that's a bug) but I really do like the feature of being able to get something from allied clonks. It's convenient in online rounds when you are looking for a certain tool as many people just park their spare clonk somewhere and you know that one's got an axe or something. It's far quicker than to chat and ask who's got whatever, wait until they actually find the time to switch clonks and give you things.
In an allied round it doesn't really matter when someone 'steals' stuff from you. It adds a little fun to the game, like snatching the pickaxe from someone's hand just before they strike and things like that. ;) Or battle for that item you need to win the scenario just because you want to be the one 'winning' it.
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-05-24 18:22
That's a good point. What about just restricting it for the active Clonk? This would still allow gathering tools from "parked" Clonks while preventing confusion with the active Clonk.

>In an allied round it doesn't really matter when someone 'steals' stuff from you.

In rounds like the volcano escape one, it kind of does: there's always a small inventory-stealing battle around the starting bread as you still lose if you die before reaching the goal.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2016-05-24 22:31
We might weaken this: Only allow taking from a clonk that is not currently the cursor (or selected, if that mechanic even still exists…).

Then again, you could extend that: Why even have clonks belong to a player and not allow anyone from the same team to control them? (That would be a tad of work, though…)
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2016-05-26 19:34

>Then again, you could extend that: Why even have clonks belong to a player and not allow anyone from the same team to control them? (That would be a tad of work, though…)

Interesting idea, that actually could work quite well for stand-around Clonks, defenders and door-keepers and Clonks like that.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-05-26 20:10
An idea I had some time ago that is similar to that is the following:
You can put Clonks on automatic attack mode via the interaction menu. The Clonk is then removed from your Crew and guards the position. You can either reclaim the Clonk when walking in front of it and using the interaction menu or when you use a respawn.

But I guess we need good base melees first!
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2016-05-28 17:05
Icy Castle?
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-05-25 16:25
I'd prefer it to be a rule to allow or disallow taking or giving items to other clonks. Then it could be set individually per scenario if it should be possible to transfer items or not.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-05-25 17:05
What would the advantage be? In which of our scenarios would you allow it and in which wouldn't you?
I don't really see the point.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-05-25 17:06
I agree, consistency is key here, this is especially complicated for new players as items may just disappear to them.
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-05-25 17:06
Why would you want to disallow giving items?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-05-25 17:48
Because Sven would clearly fill your inventory with rocks and then take the gold himself
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2016-05-25 19:22
-gold
+ruby
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-05-25 19:27
Maybe someone wants to create a scenario in which you're not allowed to give items to other clonks for whatever reason.
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-05-25 19:40
This will need more work in any case, as you'd probably want to disallow throwing away items as well.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-05-25 20:05
Then you can do that with an appendto. Like any other scenario can modify any other thing.

Maintaining something is a very bad idea when the best reason we can think of is "for whatever reason".
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Inventory stealing