Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / More player colors
- - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-06-17 17:47

I implemented the suggestion from #568. With my changes, players can now have three colors instead of only one. The overlay colors are then interpreted per channel: red is the first color, green the second and blue the third one. As we only have grayscale overlays, a single color channel is enough.

I currently set the first color as before, and the second color as either the team color or the original player color (if team colors are enabled). The third channel could potentially be used as a  second player-settable color in the future.

Armin posted some reasons in the issue why we wouldn't want this, so I'd like to discuss this here first.

I'd also like some feedback on the implementation: https://github.com/openclonk/openclonk/compare/master...lluchs:three-colors

The three-color overlays are enabled using colour_op_ex modulate3 src_texture src_player_colors in the material file. In contrast to the other colour_op_ex parameters, modulate3 will pretty much only work exactly like this. I also implemented it for regular shader-rendered overlays, but we do not seem to use those anywhere. CPU modulation still only supports a single color, but is mainly used in the main menu anyways, I think.

If this gets merged, we'll also need some artist to redraw our existing overlays. I attached the overlay I used for the screenshot above to this post.
Attachment: Overlay.png - Example overlay for the Clonk (37k)
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2016-06-17 18:50
The biggest use case that I see in it is the following: It makes models with many color variations, such as NPCs in an adventure, much more doable with only one texture. That would be great actually. That does not necessarily mean that we have to use the three color overlays for all objects.
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-06-17 21:31
I also added a SetColors() function to make this possible.
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2016-06-17 18:52
Btw, when i digged the bug entry out, I only posted possible negative criticism to make it easier for someone to close it in the case nobody does this. :>

More variety (more personal colors) is good and in team melees it could be easier to reognize the different team mates.
But here lies the biggest disatvantage as I described in the bug. If team blue plays vs team red, there can be Clonks with blue-red clothings on both teams. You would have to recognize which parts of the Clonk are in the color of his team, look at the colored name tags or team colors color all overlays and not only one overlay. That's a big change if the last option is not chosen.
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-06-17 21:22

>Btw, when i digged the bug entry out, I only posted possible negative criticism to make it easier for someone to close it in the case nobody does this. :>

I actually had already started with this before your post, it just gave me motivation to finish it.

>If team blue plays vs team red, there can be Clonks with blue-red clothings on both teams.

True. We definitely need something better than a stripe on the shirt. But if the shirt is in team color and only the shoes are individual for each player, this should not be an issue.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-06-17 20:09
Can we use that for the hair and e.g. the shoes?

This would be subtle enough to be able to have the same SHIRT color in team melees and you could still make out your own Clonk because of her hair and shoes!

Also it would be easier to communicate in the option menu ("Main Color / Hair / Shoes" instead of "Color 1" / "Color 2" / "Color 3")!
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-06-17 21:30
I guess we wouldn't want our Clonks to look like Elmer the Elephant. It's also possible to have a transparent overlay, so a subtle tint may be possible.

I had planned to always reserve one color for the team color to prevent "oh we forgot to turn on team colors"-moments. Turning on team colors currently swaps the primary and secondary colors.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-06-18 20:48

>I guess we wouldn't want our Clonks to look like Elmer the Elephant.

Well, why? You wanting your crew to be dead-serious is not generalizable, I'd say!
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2016-06-18 20:44
I agree with Zapper; I would prefer setting colors for hair and shoes to allow more variety.
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-06-18 21:01
Okay. So how do you want to handle team colors? Just replace the main color and leave hair and shoes as before?
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2016-06-18 21:14
Yes that sounds reasonable.
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2016-06-18 23:25 Edited 2016-06-18 23:28
In the case pink haired Clonks with pink shoes become too annoying: I think it is easy to force natural colors by using R >= G >= B when selecting the hair color with the 3 wheels.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / More player colors