Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / 14 months, Christmas and the like.
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-10-26 15:20
PS: also, closing bugs just because we don't expect them to be fixed because of lack of developers feels a bit like giving up to me. But I agree that we shouldn't push them just to the next release.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2017-10-26 21:28
Hey, great to see someone finally going through the necessary bugfixes, and therefore setting the release plan in motion :). I was surprised when I got like 20 notification emails for the bugtracker.
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2017-10-26 23:34

> http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=1445

We should probably just disable LZB for the release. It's been broken for a long time and won't magically start working again. The option just confuses people, especially if it appears to work but then desyncs immediately.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-10-26 23:35
Yeah, deactivating would be best. Sadly, another nice feature gone.
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2017-11-09 10:20
Good news: I ended up fixing runtime join instead.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-11-09 11:44
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2017-11-09 16:25
Awesome!
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-11-09 22:23
Didn't work for me on RndMap :(

Btw: You added a hack to no longer access player infos in OnSynchronized? Wouldn't it be better to postpone that callback until after players are initialized? The current hack seems rather shaky to me.
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2017-11-09 22:57
Yeah, [I added an issue for that](http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=1953). It's not that much of a hack anyways, the HUD code still does pretty much the same.

I think the remaining issue is now with player actions between the host saving the game and the joining player getting activated. I'm going to have a look. I guess we could always just pause the game during runtime join.
Parent - By Armin Date 2017-11-09 23:02
Feels like it has been a while since I saw a successful runtime join. Because I thought pausing was default. I remember a cr round where that was the case somehow.
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-10-26 14:18
I also want to bring this to attention: http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=1943

It seems that the snapshot engine does not create the parkour arrow helper object, while my self-built engine does. I have no idea what is going on.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-11-27 10:10
Christmas is getting near now, I wanted to ask if we have a solid plan for a release now. The last few days I struggled a bit to come up with things to do. Many bugs on the Roadmap are either engine stuff and/or not very serious.

So I guess we need to do more testing now and see what doesn't work?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2017-11-27 10:38
Same problem here, not many bugs left that I can fix on the 8.0 roadmap.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2017-11-27 12:05
Regarding "more testing": what do we usually test, and could we somehow automate/standardize that?
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-11-27 15:18
For 7.0 I remember we played every built-in scenario at least once to ensure it's playable.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-11-27 15:31
I don't think we can automate it. As K-Pone said, this kind of testing involves playing all the scenarios and see if they can still be won, if important things changed or if changes in balancing / object behaviour should result in certain changes in the scenario (e.g. I changed the required construction material for the teleglove, we need to make sure that all scenarios in which the teleglove is important still support it).
Parent - - By Caesar Date 2017-12-02 15:01
We can at least automate checking whether a change doesn't introduce a script error in the initialization scripts. I was working on a little rust thingy to start the dedicated server on every round and check the output for script errors, but rust is just not ready for this yet. I'm standing in front of the old problem I had when making crctrl that writing a program that controls another process through pipes isn't exactly without bells and whistles, especially if you want to be fault tolerant. Does anyone know a good environment for this? (Otherwise, I'm just going to add a --max-frames command line parameter to the engine and roll with that.)
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2017-12-02 17:27
I don't know anything about rust, but I know that I could do it locally in Java (am I that Java guy now? ^^). Good idea by the way!
Parent - By Caesar [jp] Date 2017-12-03 04:00
I just looked at this again… Maybe it's not rust's fault, maybe it's OC/libreadline… I'll mess with this some more.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-12-03 12:18
Detecting script errors is the easiest part of all the testing, however. It is most obvious and even without an automated test doesn't take that long to check (you don't need to do it everytime someone makes a commit, only before a release). Not to discourage you from what you are doing. ;)
Parent - - By Caesar [jp] Date 2017-12-03 14:01
Yeah, but having that run at every commit, for all scenarios, doesn't sound so bad, no?
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-12-03 15:15
No, it's not bad. As I said, I don't want to discourage anything. ;) Just if you say that other features wait because of this, a reevaluation of its usefulness might be in order!
Parent - - By Fulgen [at] Date 2017-12-03 13:50

>I'm standing in front of the old problem I had when making crctrl that writing a program that controls another process through pipes isn't exactly without bells and whistles, especially if you want to be fault tolerant. Does anyone know a good environment for this?

What exactly do you mean?
Parent - - By Caesar [jp] Date 2017-12-03 14:06
You start getting zombie processes; you have to be extra careful that nothing writes to buffered pipes/everything flushes correctly; if you use some programming language's API, that one feature you need to do it correctly won't be there, good luck if you expect it to be platform independent; …

What you want is spawning a subprocess with stdin/stdout attached, reads with timeouts (usually that is realized through nonblocking reads and timeouted polls), being able to close pipes, being able to wait on the process to exit (again with a timeout), being able to kill the process.

But yeah, this is a bit OT…
Parent - By Fulgen [at] Date 2017-12-03 14:34

>You start getting zombie processes

Huh. Doesn't closing clonk's stdin automatically shuts it down?

>you have to be extra careful that nothing writes to buffered pipes/everything flushes correctly; if you use some programming language's API, that one feature you need to do it correctly won't be there, good luck if you expect it to be platform independent; …

Yeah, you've got to be careful. Concerning flushing, in my code, I disabled buffering and let it flush clonk's stdin after every write (dunno if flushing is really necessary here, though).

>reads with timeouts (usually that is realized through nonblocking reads and timeouted polls)

Why exactly with timeouts?
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2017-12-03 15:45
Why do you want to plug into stdin/stdout? You could just read a list of available scenarios or engine start parameters, then for every item in the list launch the engine, wait until the "x warnings, y errors" output is in the log, then kill the process and start the next scenario. The only real benefit is that it runs independent of the log file location and you don't have to deal with log files that were not deleted, correct?
Parent - By Luchs Date 2017-12-03 22:37
I had some success with pexpect for automatically testing runtime join: https://gist.github.com/lluchs/b1a1f28bf6eba6e0d0d39dced353cf5c
Parent - By Caesar [jp] Date 2017-12-05 05:59
I tried again, the problem was indeed in OC. My code worked mostly as intended. Sample output.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-11-27 13:48
There have been quite a few functional changes lately. I doub't that we can guarantee a stable*) release until christmas?

*) also in terms of gameplay

PS: That's why we did early feature freezes the last two times
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-11-27 15:29 Edited 2017-11-27 15:31
We can (should?) still decree a feature freeze. Which funtional changes in particular do you have in mind? We could/should focus our testing on those changes.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-11-27 17:45
The switch stuff, the animation and control changes (which I still think are good and we could do even more for the next release!), the fire stuff. And probably more that I forgot now
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2017-11-27 17:59
My changes for the dive jump are still not tested by anyone but me, but I'd like to commit them
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-11-27 18:59
Yeah, I think that changes to the fiddly movement are one of the main areas of possible improvement - so I'm a big fan of those tweaks
Parent - By Fulgen [at] Date 2017-11-27 20:39

>We can (should?) still decree a feature freeze.

I'd also favour that.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2017-11-28 20:08
You know, there is the option to make use of the second digit in the version number.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-11-28 22:07
I don't get your comment
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2017-11-28 22:36
I agree - we should go for the Christmas release and aim for a bugfix release a couple months later. Getting everything right is unlikely no matter how long we prepare for release.

To make the bugfix release actually happen, we should set up an "8.x" branch. Each time someone fixes a bug, they should immediately push that fix to the 8.x branch as well. Picking out bugfix commits from a huge list of changes just doesn't work, see our 7.1 release that never happened.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-11-29 04:47
But it's extra work to do that. I'm not sure if developers will really keep up with it.

Plus, even a bugfix release will have to be tested before release. And then we can as well test and release the latest version.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2017-11-29 05:51

>plus, even a bugfix release will have to be tested before release. And then we can as well test and release the latest version.

We could also do this in a more standardized manner, so that it is ensured that everything works as intended without everyone testing everything, and maybe even release more often?
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-11-29 06:26
Everyone always wants to release more often. But we never do it anyway :)
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2017-11-29 08:12
Yes, frequent releases are kind of not necessary, because the active community uses the snapshots anyway, right? Would be interesting who even plays the released version.
On the other hand we could theoretically do a release every month but that really doesn't add anything, does it?
Parent - By Luchs Date 2017-11-29 21:55
There are still other players (likely more than "the active community") who play the game offline or online with their friends and who won't download snapshots.
Parent - By Luchs Date 2017-11-29 22:04

>But it's extra work to do that. I'm not sure if developers will really keep up with it.

Yeah, I guess this would be for a few months only, just so that we can get bugs fixed as quickly as possible.

>And then we can as well test and release the latest version.

We tend to break compatibility with scenarios and save games often which will probably annoy people. But yeah, I'm also for more frequent releases. I just fear that some big feature will happen soon after release (e.g. Larry integration) and then everyone thinks it's not stable enough for months and bugs in 8.0 don't get fixed until two years later.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-11-29 07:57

>Christmas is getting near now
>Many bugs on the Roadmap are either engine stuff

I think that is the problem. We don't have many active engine developers willing to fix bugs, right? That's how the collection of engine bugs got accumulated. So maybe, we should let engine developers decide about the release schedule, and how much of the open stuff they are willing to do. I mean otherwise it is just dreaming.

The rest of the engine stuff, that won't be done for now I guess has to be put aside or postponed. We wait for the willing fixes and then we just release. There is no other way, right?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-11-29 16:55

> So maybe, we should let engine developers decide about the release schedule

Well, then ask Sven2 about his release schedule. He's the only dev with sufficient engine experience still active.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-12-03 20:38
I'm very busy. Are there actual release-blocking bugs? We played a lot recently and things worked fine.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2017-12-03 20:59
Something broke deathmatch lately. Just fixed it, but I guess there are quite a few still remaining. We really need to test at least two scenarios of every type. I don't have any time next week, but probably some after that.
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-12-04 00:06
Nothing in the engine at least. I guess.
- - By Luchs Date 2017-12-15 12:32
I had a look at the About dialog (planet/Graphics.ocg/StartupAboutBG.png) and the git log:

% git shortlog -s v7.0.. | sort -rn
   636  Sven Eberhardt        ✓ Engine and Tools
   424  Maikel de Vries       ✓ Scripting and Content
   394  Mark                  ✗ currently Contributors, should be Scripting and Content?
   248  Lukas Werling         ✗ should be Engine and Tools?
   244  Nicolas Hake          ✓ Engine and Tools
   178  Günther Brammer       ✓ Engine and Tools
   113  Clonkonaut            ✓ Scripting and Content
    75  Fulgen301             ✗ should be Contributors
    66  David Dormagen        ✓ Scripting and Content
    46  Julius Michaelis      ✓ Engine and Tools
    44  Armin Burgmeier       ✓ Engine and Tools
    14  Tobias Zwick          ✓ Administration
    12  Martin Strohmeier     ✓ Music and Sound
     6  Martin Plicht         ✓ Engine and Tools
     6  Linus Heckemann       ✗ should be Contributors
     6  Kanibal               ✗ should be Contributors
     5  Armin Schäfer         ✓ Contributors
     4  Tushar Maheshwari     ✗ should be Contributors
     3  jok21                 ✗ should be Contributors
     2  Philipp Kern          ✓ Contributors/package maintainers
     2  Matthias Rottländer   ✓ Art and Content
     1  Matthias Mailänder    ✗ should be Contributors
     1  kpone33               (duplicate)
     1  ckanibal              (duplicate)

As noted by Newton the last time he updated the credits for 7.0, we're somewhat running out of space. We can't add all new contributors without removing some others, and we probably also lose a line of contributors for the two new entries in Engine and Tools and Scripting and Content. Making the list scroll is probably too much work for now, but we should try to raise the resolution, if only to make it look less shitty on modern monitors.

Also, how do we sort the entries? Engine and Tools currently appears to be sorted alphabetically except for Sven and Caesar, while Scripting/Art and Content correspond to the absolute commit counts (that list only shows those with github accounts though).

I think sorting by absolute commit counts is fine for all with direct commit access. For the Contributors list, we could add a line for minor contributions of that release only (those with 1-10 commits in the list above). We also have to take in account contributions like art and milestone project stuff that someone else (mostly Zapper/Clonkonaut?) commits to the repository.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2017-12-15 15:02
For contributors: We might want to add hasufell (Julian Ospald, for gentoo) to the list. Might want to, don't have to, if it really won't fit.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / 14 months, Christmas and the like.
1 2 3 4 Previous Next