Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / How does the trees grow?
- - By ZLRMN [ru] Date 2016-10-28 09:05 Edited 2016-10-28 09:08
Is it scripted and changed map by map? Do they grow randomly or close to eachother? Is there any unseen "seeds"? Is there something else needed like water or specific type of soil?
I can't really understand, sometimes i cut all the trees and just lack wood forever after, sometimes they grow into whole forests on any surface, rocks included (maybe there is some pixel mud, dunno)
Can anyone point me specific conditions? Can't look in source code myself because im dumb.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-10-28 11:55
Generally, trees grow randomly next to each other. So if you chop down the very last tree, you messed up.
They have a maximum distance for new trees and a maximum amount of trees in that distance. They will reproduce faster when less trees are around. (So a single tree can grow into a small forest quickly, but a large forest won't get too crowded).

They do not need water but they need to grow on soil material (like earth, sand, ashes, ...; NOT rock). But a pixel might be enough.

There are some plants that grow differently (cotton, big mushrooms, sprout berries). But the trees should behave more or less the same.
There is a little todo, though: currently places can get too crowded with different species of trees. For example: it /should/ be 10 trees total in an area; right now it is 10 oaks, 10 palm trees, 10 coniferous trees, ..)

PS: ah, and different maps can tell the trees where they are allowed. So there might be maps where trees grow only in a special area.
Parent - By ZLRMN [ru] Date 2016-10-28 20:41
Thanks. Very useful.
Up Topic General / General / How does the trees grow?