Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Graphics] Open Clonk Logo (locked)
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-24 04:15 Edited 2010-01-24 04:17
As per request, I've created a logo for OpenClonk.  You may notice it bears a striking resemblance to the picture I made in OC Paint.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-01-24 13:09
looks nice. but:
-the O from Clonk is a bit too far on the left. i also think the C and K are too shiny (as far as they should be made out of metal).
-what material is the "open" made out of? it looks like some kind of glass/platin! it looks good, but the specular is a bit too round and in the middle.
what do the others think?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-24 17:41

>-the O from Clonk is a bit too far on the left.

Indeed. I'll rearrange that.

>-what material is the "open" made out of?

Cut crystal :D
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2010-01-24 16:00
It is looking nice but:
That's not a Logo, it is a symbol or whatever.
requirements on a "logo" are different on what you've designed.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-24 17:22
Erm, no offence, but logo is not a very specific word in english. Also, Newton was very specific in telling me to design this logo off that sketch I made in OC Paint.

By logo, we're referring to something like this:http://www.clonk.de/cr.php?lng=en. (the CR title at the top).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-25 04:36 Edited 2010-01-25 04:42
Possible OpenClonk icon. Mostly based off Mimmo_O's design from IRC.

Also, somewhat improved version of the title-logo. I'd like some feedback as to what can be improved here.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-01-25 06:51
The 'C' in the small icon looks different from the 'C' in the text-logo. It is probably only the lighting and the perspective but I think they should look the same
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-25 11:43
Looks quite nice, but...
Since it will be(I think so) prerendered it could use some advanced effects like refraction/reflection, and generally "open" could be a bit transparent and more glass-like
Textures look quite... mild, they could use some bump-mapping.
Some background would be nice as well.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-01-25 14:32

>Since it will be(I think so) prerendered it could use some advanced effects like refraction/reflection

It's a logo made for easy recognition and not the OC Teaser. I think the logo should be kept simple so that you are able to recognize it even in low resolutions
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-25 17:35

>transparent and more glass-like

Whoops. I guess I accidentally washed out the transparency when I saturated the 'blue-ness' of it.

>Textures look quite... mild, they could use some bump-mapping.

I think this is important for the wooden letters; they are currently using generated textures, so I should probably make good uv-mapped textures for them.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-01-25 14:21
Icon: the icon seems to be more about the wooden shield than the 'C'lonk
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-01-26 10:55
But IMO the icon is quite easily recognisable, except for wood texture there is nothing else I dislike about it.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-26 20:17
Hm; is it even necessary to have "OC" (or any letters) as part of the Icon? I know the previous games have seemed to do this, but we could use a wipf or something.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-01-26 20:30
Or a clonk. After all, its Clonk. For different releases we can use different stances. Like a clonk posing with a shovel (and a hard hat for development releases? ;-) ), a fully equipped knight, a clonk with a staff etc
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-26 22:33
Sounds good! :) We could probably just use the in-game model for this, since icons are only 48x48.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-01-25 21:45
Well, that's a quite direct copy of the original Clonk logo. While I'm sure that matthes won't sue us, I would suggest that we use something more derivative than copied ;-) How about switching the materials of the letters around?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-26 20:13
Hrum. Just shuffling the letter materials around seems a bit like a "change for the sake of change". Maybe we could have some letters made out of both metal and wood (with the metal holding the wood pieces together or something).
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-05 04:02
Hay what do you guys think of this?

Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-05 09:31
What's with E? Didn't find the appropriate shape?

P.S. My opinion: NO COMMENTS
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2010-03-05 11:05
First one looks like a mirrored swastika...
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-05 15:06
Windmill, sorcerer, indestructable blocks, tools & flints, and finaly a throwback to the original clonk logo.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-05 15:47
Sorcerer? I thought it was an eskimo...
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-03-05 15:48
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
Swastikas are officially associated with Hitler, but that's not fair. The swastika drawn here means... screw it. English wikipedia have got too much content. I'm too lazy to dig trough this :D
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-05 15:55
Anyway, the O letter can be expressed in some other way not (possibly) offending anyone.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-05 16:33
i could always just redraw the O, wasn't meant to be a swastica, (really dont wanna piss people off over something like this in an international forum).
Eskimo? He's got his magic staff, not too mention he seems kinda dark & boding, (was going of rmysterious look).

probably have the top flint exploding too, just to explain why the word "Clonk" flying towards a clonk.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-05 19:03
Oh, and why does it fly towards him? =)

Here is your sorceror with the staff. =)
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2010-03-05 16:58

>Swastikas are officially associated with Hitler, but that's not fair.

Tell this the people, who ask why the logo looks like this. I dont make the rules honey...
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-03-05 17:22 Edited 2010-03-05 17:28

> screw it. English wikipedia have got too much content. I'm too lazy to dig trough this :D

Well, you should. Here's a relevant part:

The German (and Austrian) postwar criminal code makes the public showing of the Hakenkreuz (the swastika) and other Nazi symbols illegal and punishable, except for scholarly reasons. It is even censored from the lithographs on boxes of model kits, and the decals that come in the box. Some modellers would prefer to stencil on the swastika, or perhaps buy separate decals if possible. It is also censored from the reprints of 1930s railway timetables published by the Reichsbahn. The eagle remains, but appears to be holding a solid black circle between its talons. The swastikas on Hindu and Jain temples are exempt, as religious symbols cannot be banned in Germany.

So, using this logo could get the game banned in Germany and Austria. Not a good idea.

Edit, oh, and a bit further down:

Poland

In Poland, public display of Nazi symbols, including the Nazi swastika, is a criminal offence punishable by up to eight years of imprisonment.[75]

Sorry dude, looks like there won't be OpenClonk in your country :(
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-03-05 17:56
Uhm. The swatiska itself is no nazi-symbol. Only the cornered right-facing one.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-03-05 21:30
not only right-facing, but also rotated by 45 degrees and on red background. Swastika itself is religious symbol. I don't really remember what did it mean, but yeah... maybe it really should not look swastika-like.
Parent - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-03-05 22:10
It's also right facing if it's rotated by 45 degrees ;)
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-03-05 17:49
Aww. Only germans can see that. (I saw it too.) Just give it a fifth arm...
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-03-05 21:31

>Just give it a fifth arm...

:D
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-03-05 21:51
I adopted that from model planes. The point is, that you show that you don't want to show a swastika. Our windmill has five wings btw.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-03-05 19:29
Was also my first impression. >_>
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-05 18:24
FIRST AND FOREMOST, IT WAS NOT MEANT TO BE A SWASTICA.

I did not precive it to be a swastica, and i wasn't trying to make a swastica.

I'll upload a new version that should be a bit better; no more controversial, "that might be a swastica", and other little things.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2010-03-05 18:48
Just nevermind. We know that. But I think Germany is the country where you get the most trouble with that...
- By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-03-05 19:00
Now, ignoring the nazi connection for a while, concerning the logo: I don't like it at all (even assuming it's just a concept sketch). I think there's too much stuff in it, so it's not really a logo any more.
- By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-05 19:19
Agreed with Sven2. It is a bad habbit of stylize your logo to make it look like something it actually is not. And making rebuses out of logo letters is probably even worse concept then stylizing.
If you ask me, I do not like anything posted in this thread so far (sorry, Ringwaul and others). Though I accept that only thing we can leave is the CLONK part. I'm not trying to tell whether it is good or bad (since it is not very polite to somehow criticise the logo of the game which has 15-year old history and keeps running) - just that it would be recognizable in relation to the whole CLONK series. (In fact, I even somehow like the current CLONK ZOOM placeholder - it has a recognizable part and an oddition which empathizes the whole logo and does not overweight it with some some "great sense").  Personally, I am not good in drawing logos at all, so I can not provide anything except for, maybe, a brief sketch. But I would like to ask the whole community to draw more attention and be extremely carefull with the so called "face" of the game - its most important visual part.
- By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-05 21:54

heres the modified version, if no one likes it, it was just an idea,  and by the way, why cant i edit any of my posts in this topic?
- By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-06 01:20
I am locking this topic
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Graphics] Open Clonk Logo (locked)