Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Are you still there?
1 2 3 Previous Next
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2020-02-03 15:34
❤️
Parent - - By manuelclonk Date 2020-02-03 20:09
Cool!!
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-04 18:15
I'll have to dig deeper into your castle project at some point, but looks interesting! If I can figure the mesh technicalities, then I might be interested in working with you on that, and giving it a bit more polished look that blends well with the other content! Good job!
Parent - - By manuelclonk Date 2020-02-08 23:17
Thanks! The graphics are not very good yet - however i also tried to keep the polygon count low, to support larger castles - maybe bump maps could both improve the look and keep the number of polygons low.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-09 01:30
Yeah, I can understand keeping the poly count down. Your doing awesome!
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-04 17:59
Yes, I would be interested, if we can get something like that up and running! That would be a fantastic first step!

I already checked out a number of the parts involved in dev. work. I looked at the onboard editor for OC, and Clonkonaught gave some feedback on that as well.

c4group.exe too me a couple of seconds to realize was all command line based... but, no matter... I still figured it out, and I understand command line applications enough to work with it. (Wouldn't hurt to have a GUI version of the c4group program though...)
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2020-02-04 18:14

>c4group.exe too me a couple of seconds to realize was all command line based... but, no matter... I still figured it out, and I understand command line applications enough to work with it. (Wouldn't hurt to have a GUI version of the c4group program though...)

It's also possible to avoid c4group by downloading the unpacked groups from the repository either with git (advanced) or by clicking the green "Clone or download" button to get a zip file. The game files are in the "planet" folder.

I agree that a GUI for c4group might be nice. Fulgen work(ed?) on one for LegacyClonk which might also work for OpenClonk with a couple of modifications.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-04 18:27
Thanks for that info, Luchs!

Does the game engine really need the files packaged for it to read them? I am a bit fuzzy on what c4group packaging even does apart from slapping a neat icon on. Is it compressing the files?

I actually just found the LagacyClonk project recently, and love that someone is refining (and extending) CR! That would be cool, if Fulgen would be up to the task!
Parent - By Luchs Date 2020-02-04 23:33
It's also compressing the files, yes. This used to have a big effect on load times with slow hard disks, but don't think there's too much of a difference between packed and unpacked loading times on modern computers anymore. The packed files are still useful for distributing mods, though. However, a simple zip (or similar) archive would work just as well for that.
Parent - By Fulgen [at] Date 2020-02-08 15:42

> Does the game engine really need the files packaged for it to read them?

Yes and no.
Codewise, C4Group handles both C4Group files and unpacked folders (which are treated as unpacked C4Groups), using the same interface. This wouldn't even be a real problem if it wasn't coded that inefficiently...
Parent - - By Fulgen [at] Date 2020-02-08 15:29

> Fulgen work(ed?) on one for LegacyClonk which might also work for OpenClonk with a couple of modifications.

While coding LCEdit, I actually wanted it to be compatible with both LegacyClonk and OpenClonk, so it shouldn't need any modifications. cc4group however uses LC's C4Group format, which just means it sets some metadata OC doesn't care about anymore.

I haven't abandoned it, btw, I've just shifted my development time onto LC as there was clearly more interest there. The cc4group plugin for example doesn't have any context menu, which is just ugly, and its save routine is rather hacky as well - it worked for me, but clean UI design is something else.
So yeah, if someone's interested, I'll definitely continue working on it.
(Also, it's less a GUI for C4Group than a replacement for Editor.exe, which is just a nightmare both source code and handling wise.)
Parent - By Luchs Date 2020-02-08 18:45

>cc4group however uses LC's C4Group format, which just means it sets some metadata OC doesn't care about anymore.

It will probably also not sort the entries correctly, but these things should be easy to adjust. Are there any plans for integrating a faster c4group implementation into LC? The weird interface in the engine is a bit of a hurdle, I guess.
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2020-02-04 20:03

>c4group.exe too me a couple of seconds to realize was all command line based... but, no matter... I still figured it out, and I understand command line applications enough to work with it. (Wouldn't hurt to have a GUI version of the c4group program though...)

Are there any elaborated commands you run with the c4group? I would like to implement more usefull commands in the vs code extension for OpenClonk.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-04 21:37 Edited 2020-02-04 21:39

>Are there any elaborated commands you run with the c4group? I would like to implement more usefull commands in the vs code extension for OpenClonk.

I'm not sure, I understand the question, but if you open a terminal (command prompt) and navigate to your OpenClonk folder using cd "path to folder", then typing c4group should give you a list of the c4group commands...
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2020-02-04 21:57
Yes, I use the c4group in the extension. But I only implemented the pack, explode and run-scenario-in-editor commands to show up in the tree view of Visual Studio Code.
I was interested if there are any other very important usages of the c4group I could be missing.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-05 02:15
Packing exploded packages didn't work for me the first time, because though exploding seems to unpack the full file tree, pack seems to only pack one level at a time...

If I am right, then the unpack command could be a useful edition, because it only unpacks one layer at a time. I might use your extensions for VSC, if you post a download link somewhere.
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2020-02-05 11:38
Pack should pack recursively, it probably ran into some error if it didn't do that. In fact, it's not actually creating full sub-groups, so the “unpack” option is more of a “explode, then repack” operation.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-06 14:43

>it probably ran into some error if it didn't do that

I was wondering that myself, but as it was reoccurring at the time, I wondered if pack even worked on exploded packages.

>it's not actually creating full sub-groups, so the “unpack” option is more of a “explode, then repack” operation

Yes, I realize that unpack in more of an explode function, but it was more incremental unpacking than the explode function, and I was able to repack after using it. In contrast, with explode, I was having those issues (that I mentioned) with repacking.
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2020-02-08 15:19
The extension is now available via VSCode Marketplace
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-09 01:31
Awesome! Thanks Apfelclonk!
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2020-02-09 12:53
Nice!
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-11 01:08
Having the name of the extension would be of help, because there are no results when looking up "clonk" or "c4group"
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2020-02-11 08:07
Good point. I'll look if there is a way to add tags.
Try it with "OpenClonk" or "OpenClonk Extension".
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-11 14:21
Okay, I found it. One more thing... I can't seem to figure out how to configure the .json file. I know, that I have no idea how to use .json files. :P

This is what I have so far:

{
    "oclang.pathToC4gExecutable": "C:\Program Files\OpenClonk\c4group.exe",
    "oclang.pathToGameExecutable": "C:\Program Files\OpenClonk\openclonk.exe"
}
Parent - - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2020-02-11 14:42
Thats actually a good point. I havent thought about the local config Yet.
To Make it  work for now you can open the settings in vscode with ctrl+, or under file->preferences->settings. Search for the Extension there and it should Display the entries. I will furthur investigate your issue alter, it might actually be that oc-lang has to be oc-ext.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-11 15:42
Still stuck... I think, I have the correct path now, because the backslash \ is also used as an escape character. Using the configuration bellow gets me further, but then it throws an error saying, "Failed to invoke C4Group-Executable." (If you are using linux that could also account for the discrepancy, because I am using windows 7.) 

{
    "oclang.pathToC4gExecutable": "C:\\Program Files\\OpenClonk\\c4group.exe",
    "oclang.pathToGameExecutable": "C:\\Program Files\\OpenClonk\\openclonk.exe"
}
Parent - - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2020-02-11 16:09
That message should mean, that it found the files, but there was unexpected error.
If you go to Help->Show Developer Tools, what does it say in the console? You might have to rerun the command to log something there.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-11 16:34 Edited 2020-02-11 16:42
Is there a way to send you a screenshot on the forums? (edit: figured the screenshot out...)
Screenshot attached -->
Attachment: Capture.PNG (20k)
Parent - - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2020-02-11 16:42
Can you try placing  it to a path which has no whitespaces in it?
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-11 17:00
Yeah, that works if I move the OpenClonk folder to C: drive, but is there still a way to rout it into program files?
Parent - - By Apfelclonk [de] Date 2020-02-11 17:08
I will fix it asap an roll out an Update.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-11 17:54
Yeah, great work, Apfelclonk! It'll be much better using vs code over the old command line. After seeing its potential, I'm really liking that a lot better!
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-11 17:57
Also, having a .json example in the description might help anyone wanting to use your extension, and it helps as a reminder for those already using it.

Excellent work!
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2020-02-11 17:55
I'll need some more time to make a solid fix.
In the meantine try to escape your paths with \" like so
oclang.path...: "\"C:\\path\\with spaces\\c4group.exe\""
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-11 18:13
Yeah, strange results with that... I don't get any errors, but it also doesn't work. (Commands do nothing, but no errors either)
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2020-02-11 18:18
Ok, interesting. I updated the extension and hope that it works now. Please let us discuss anything furthur in the separate topic I opened, the space gets narrow here and it's quite off-topic.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-11 18:24
Agreed...
Parent - - By Apfelclonk Date 2020-02-02 15:04

>How polished are windmill and nanowindmill

Development for either of those is inactive. Windmill was lacking Desktop usabiliy and never left beta phase.
I dropped nanoMill since I would spend most of the time rewriting stuff that already exists, so extending Atom or VSCode is a more time efficient choice.
Recently I started a small extension for VSCode. It currently adds syntax highlighting for OpenClonk flavoured .c files and (un-)pack commands.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-02 21:11
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-02 01:27
It shows how long I've been away from the development part of OC... I literally just saw that Open Clonk does have and inbuilt editor now. What does that cover as far as development goes? Does it handle script editing? Map development or model development?

I'll have to check it out more...
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2020-02-02 13:30
The editor is solely made for map development.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-02 21:22
Thanks, yeah, after checking it out I realized what is was. Useful tool, but I'll still need to mess around in it some more to figure it out.

If I start working on something, I think, that it will be building the basic parts for the castle (towers left and right (like the elevator...), but with only one gate unlike CR where the towers has gates on both ends) and middle castle piece (with option for hatch). And a few maps to go with that.

Anyways, look forward to getting involved, if I can sort out meshes!
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2020-02-03 09:31
You might want to check out this knight project: https://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=3469
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2020-02-04 18:09
Great work, @manuelclonk, and if we can get meshes worked out... we can refine the look'n feel and some of the functionality!
Up Topic General / General / Are you still there?
1 2 3 Previous Next