Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Object] Dynamite box
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-10 23:02 Edited 2010-02-10 23:05
Here my vision on how the dynamite box can look:

For its usage I consider having several inventory images:

Each time player places another stick of dynamite the quantity in the box is reduced, so when he places the last stick the inventory image is changed to the detonator:

Now he presses the USE key...

KABOOM!!!

For clonk animation I suggest that he carries a simple wooden box:

Stored in dynamite_box_ingame.blend (layer 1)

After all explosives are set the box in his hands changes to a detonator:

Stored in dynamite_box_ingame.blend (layer 2) - 34 polies

Animation can be applied on activating a detonator (clonk raises the handle and lowers it).

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: dynamite_box_ingame.blend (1413k)
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-10 23:10
I like it. I will make some animations for the clonk.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-10 23:22
By the way - how it is possible to display a sprite picture as the picture while having a model ingame?
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-10 23:51
Well, the arrow now uses a kind of hack, giving it a new appeareance with SetGraphics on launch. But perhaps ck can also implement something like that. Or in this case meshes without objects would be good too. (Igniter as an mesh, but it doesn't need to be an extra object.
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-02-11 00:22
Now that I implemented perspective pictures you want to go back to sprites? Pah ;)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-10 23:15
Awesome!
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-11 09:58
ITS DEMOLITION TIME! YAAAAAA!

Nice work man, that looks awsome.

Cant wait to actually get to use it.

(AfterThought): r u guys trying to figure out if it should just be something u can pick up/put down, or something that cant be dropped/knocked out of hands?
Parent - By Travis Date 2010-02-13 01:00
I think it's going to work like in the Western pack (just guessing).
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-13 00:39
So, animations are made and in the repos. The nice picture graphics you created can't be displayed, cause there are still some engine changes needed for implementing that. Does anymore want to do this?
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-02-13 01:19
Btw. the rendered graphics are a bit to smooth. You should try to switch the MultiSampling Filter to Mitch instead of Gauss (In the render-buttons above the "Border"-Button). That's alot sharper.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-13 14:33 Edited 2010-02-13 14:50
Yep, you are right. Though I do not think this will make any difference in 64x64 pictures, I will rerender them and post later

EDIT: Here they are (and there IS a difference actually - think, I should also rerender other stuff as well)

Parent - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-02-13 14:50
It's quite the opposite: the smaller the image, the bigger is the difference.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 16:03
Can you also post the .blend for the rendered dynamite box? It goes into the resources repository.

Also, could you re-render the original dynamite to make it look the same as the dynamite in the box of yours?
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 16:14

> Can you also post the .blend for the rendered dynamite box?

Have I forgot it?.. Oh, I definitely have. Thanks for mentioning that.

>could you re-render the original dynamite

Ok.

Attachment: dynamite_box.blend (2538k)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 16:37
How about this?

Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 16:57
Will do, ty!
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-21 20:22
Looks a bit... plain.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 21:01
Well, it IS a rather plain object (check it out). What adornments and ornamentations do you actually suggest?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-21 22:08 Edited 2010-02-21 22:12
You might have a texture showing some wrinkles and possibly a seam in the paper where it overlaps.
Also, you're missing a blasting cap (like in the original dynamite render).

You'll want to read up on this, and take a look at an accurate dynamite diagram.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 22:37 Edited 2010-02-21 22:57
Like this?

Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-22 11:27
So, I finished the script of it. Unfortunately I don't know how to change the line color. In CR it was done using locals. I don't know if its possible to change them in OC yet.
So if an engine coder could have a look at it, this would be nice.
Having pick lines doesn't seem so good for dynamite boxes...

Ah and another thing. The cable now can get as long as you want. Should we use a rescritcion here? And what should happen if the cable "breaks" when too long?
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 11:49 Edited 2010-02-22 11:51

> Should we use a rescritcion here?

I am not an author of the idea but I can share my vision of d-box functionality.
Right now we do not have complicated melees (the ones that involve structures and production) but when we finally have, infinite line would give an unfair advantage to the one who uses a d-box. In this case you can run to enemy base, quickly (as long as it does not require any time now, I suppose) place dynamite sticks and run away to your home base. Now the enemy is doomed (literally... I mean, the structure whicр was mined). You can press the lever any time to blow it away in pieces.
So what we need is a restriction to the line length.  The problem is what will happen then. Simply loose the d-box and all the dynamite already placed? Turn placed dynamites from d-box into simple dynamite sticks (which are able to be picked up later)? Detonate everything (I mean, already placed sticks)?
Personally I like the second idea most. If the cable is broken any dynamite which is already placed, turns into a simple dynamite stick. But this involves some implementation difficulties:
1) not mentioning the need of swapping objects here (I do not really know how the d-box is currently implemented);
2) the length of the cable should be calculated;
3) do not know how to avoid obstacles on the way (in CR if line gets too twisted it eventually straigts up);
4) there should be some way of warning the player that his line is about to break (change line color to red? You've mentioned that you do not know how to do it yet).
Besides. What are the current possibilities of enemy to demine the placed dynamite?
I suppose all these questions should be discussed more thoroughly
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-22 12:11
Well, the way with unconnecting the dynamite sticks and turning them to normal ones would be the easiest way to implement, cause the same object is used here and I just have to remove the link between both. And it would perhaps be the most logical one, cause self igniting wires seems odd.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 13:12
Ok, thats good. But what about 2) and 4) ?
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-22 14:12
The length can be calculated via the distances of the vertices. And a warning could consist of a Message over the clonk. But your Idea with the line color changing would be good too. So the player has an optical feedback too.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-22 17:16
What about an actual fuse that follows the path of the line?
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-22 18:07
Well, first look at my implementation then complain ;-)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 21:20
I looked at it a minute ago. What can I say? Outstanding! (There is been a while since I had such fun as at the moment all theese sticks demolished one after another). Though I have some remarks (suggestions of improvement) which can make it even better:
1) Line is TOO thick. I mean, EXTREMELY THICK (the same width as the dynamite itself). I suggest to shrink it twice (or even thrice) the size.
2) Brown color... eh. Sure very distinguishable but a bit weird. Gray for a change? (The orange blinking will look greater with gray, I suppose).
3) Some animation glitches: box and detonator coming THROUGH the clonk, low odd placement and so. If you are surprise hearing that I can attach screenshots that illustrate this. If not... then I probably shut up (you know better what to do).
4) You can not place a d-box stick the same places you can place an ordinary stick? Is it done intensionally or this is some kind of bug?
5) Inventory images? :'( :'( :'( Graphics from 1 to 5 :'( ... Well, sorry if it is too early to talk about that but... I was somewhat upset...
Nevermind. Anyway it looks good. And animation for detonation looks good as well (not mentioning 3) ). And spark traveling from one stick to another - that was my favorite part. Keep up the brilliant work you do.
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-22 21:40
Ok, thanks for your comments, but I have to disappoint you in some cases:
1) the line is drawn by the engine, so I can't just change it like that... (perhaps I can fiddle around in the engine a bit for that...)
2) the color is changable, I can make it a bit grayer.
3) The animation glitches are ck's fault (at least I think so, cause they are not like that in blender).
4) You can place it at excactly the same places you can place a normal on. Though I change the script of the single dynamite stick, so you can choose the direction of putting it with the mouse. So take care where you click when placing it.
5) The inventory images are there and the script tries to use them SetGraphics(...) but the engine functionality isn't there yet for it.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 22:05
Thanks, now I feel better :-) (Then we will probably wait for engine development)
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-02-22 16:07
There is a "LineColors" property.
Parent - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-22 16:37 Edited 2010-02-22 17:06
Well, but I don't know how to use it. What values does it take? I tired integers, RGB() values or arrays. Arrays seem to make the line invisible, the rest doesn't have any effekt.

Ah, I found out. Use an arry with two RGB values: SetProperty("LineColors", [RGB(255,0,0), RGB(0,255,0)]); // Makes a red line with green dots at the vertices.

Edit: now commited. The priming wire is now brown and blinks when the wire gets too long.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Object] Dynamite box