Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Additional materials
1 2 Previous Next
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-12 21:47
I would like everyone to post their suggestions on additional materials in this topic. Though I know that we are too far from implementing settlement scenarious where theese materials will be actually needed (for melees and parkours the basic set is probably enough), we may always return to this topic for further discussion anytime. And good ideas - they are... you know, only good when they are impelemented in one or another way (when you somehow fix your idea, for instance just by posting it to the forum, you therefore free additional space in your brain for another good ideas :-).
So, to make the long story short, here is my first suggestion. Silver:

I do not know actually what it can be used for, but this is my favorite metal and I also think that silver deposits would look nice on the landscape (probably even nicer than gold).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-12 21:49

>I do not know actually what it can be used for

Hunting werewolves.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-12 21:52
Oh, yeah. Making special musket bullets out of it :-)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-12 22:00
I was joking. xD
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-13 11:21
:(
That's a good idea :P
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-02-16 19:48
i suggest brick. undiggable, unblastable, even edges, good for puzzles and catacombs.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-16 22:01
Approved. Care to search for a few cool stone-wall textures of different styles?
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2010-02-17 11:02 Edited 2010-02-18 12:11
Well, I remember having made some ~fine textures some years ago... I'll have a look in the evening.
(more than one wall texture shouldn't hurt anyway)

>even edges

I always hated that workaround with the Edge triangle object for smooth passages.

Suggestions for a basic colour? I personal didn't like the pink-brownish one from CR.

[Edit]
Actually forgot them. Next day with internet will be monday.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-17 11:07

> Suggestions for a basic colour?

Dark-red?
Light-brown?
Light-gray?
Dark-gray?
Yellow? :-)

Anything you like.
We can not tell which color is the best until it is seen ingame (along with other environment textures)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-17 12:07

> Suggestions for a basic colour?

Yes: Different colors. We want several bricky textures that could fit in most different worlds: In the sandy desert, in snowy pineforests, in evil lavaworlds etc.p.p.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-17 15:17
I am dreaming of mayan-ruins style... ^^
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 19:04
This is probably the easiest texture to find :-)
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-02-20 19:11
i like 3 and 4 much. 6 seems to be some reliefmap of 5. 7 could be used for desertlike loam-stones.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 19:12
4-th is some kind of an undergroud well (see the greenish color?) I like it very much too
EDIT: There are TONS of other brick textures in the Net
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-20 19:41
is it possible use all of them that get posted?
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 20:19
I do not think ALL of them - theese were posted only as an example. There are a lot more beautifull brick textures from which we can choose those that fit OC environment better
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-20 19:44
Are these free to use? 3,4,5 all look very nice.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 20:17

> Are these free to use?

Yes, of course (though not very detailed... but already seamless)

Can post another 20-30 brick textures if interested
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-20 20:24
Well, in CR the "official" brick texture (the on of Sven2 see Dragon Rock) had bricks in the 10x10 format, so that the landscape chucks with zoom 10 where exactly one brick. So we have to think which textures would fit a system like that, so that we don't get half bricks.
But more irregular patterns would look good too, but we then have to life with half bricks or think of a system that every bick is displayed completely.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-20 20:51
I think it would be a better idea to keep the bricks as 10x10 in the texture; if we have obvious half-bricks that would ruin any photo-realistic aspect of imperfectly sized bricks.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 20:52
Well, textures 4 and 5 show that bricks of different size can be used together and it looks quite good. Maybe we should think in this direction?
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-20 21:47
Well, I think you didn't understand my point right. I have nothing against irregular brick patterns. But we have to take care, that the texture looks good ingame, when the texture is "cut" somewhere, when the material ends. And then there shouldn't be bricks cut in two by this.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 22:04 Edited 2010-02-20 22:09
If I understood the problem right you are concerned about sudden end of texture space:

So I suggested to do something like this:

Sorry, if I didn't get the point right...
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2010-02-20 22:57
Yes, your sketch looks good. You unterstood my point.

But perhaps we have to decide first, how the squares should be ingame. But I think it would be good to have in the engine some not square but also other formes.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-21 10:15
On other hand we could just try to use a non-bricky texture and apply a overlay, that makes it bricky. This way we could create bricks from current stone, sand, etc. (just like currently there are "borders" and "shadows" applied to textures depending on their neighbourhood we could apply a texture)
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-02-21 12:31
The double texture+color modulation was killed from the engine by someone. You can only use raw textures now :(
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-21 13:25
Too bad. This could allow for procedurally generated non-rectangular bricks fitting into shape of landscape...
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-20 21:58
I'd tweak 8 to be simmiliar to 4 in colour and use it.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 22:19
Come on, we do not need to tweak anything really.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-20 22:26
I made a combo out of two different textures, that would imo be good. At least the style :P
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 22:38
Yeah, just another addition to the collection...
Oh, boy...
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 14:59
1. Uff, was it really necessary to upload all these textures here? You know, we know where to find (brick) textures on the internet.

2. Too regular: Old ruins or castles painted in bright-green and made of bricks? Don't think so.

3. License?
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 15:19
Oh, this was probably not the best post of mine. Just wanted to show that there are a lot of textures available WITHOUT any need for modifications. Now I feel really upset.
1) Unembedded them. Probably will even delete in few days
2) Theese were just an example. As I posted here we should know what textures do we really need.
3) There is some strange license telling we can use these textures without redistributing them. And modifications are not allowed as well. Damn, now I think I misunderstood them first time. Anyway, "we know where to find (brick) textures on the internet" so this would not be a problem :-)
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-21 15:54
if u guys use the that program i posted, u can take a pic of anything thats on ur screen, and save it to any format, i dont know if it helps with the liscense issue, but it does help in getting the actually picture.  not to mention u could just go find a picture of the entire structure that has the type of brick u want and just take a pic of the bricks.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 15:59
No, it doesn't help with the license
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-21 19:09
Alt+PrintScreen
-> Paste in Paint

Much easier.
Parent - By MrBeast [de] Date 2010-02-21 17:19
These seem to be really good and also free to use.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 22:32 Edited 2010-02-21 12:41
And this is only 1/20 of all the textures which I could find. Choose the one you like.
What we really need is to know for which environments the brick textures would be actually used. For example:
1) for sand desert we need light-yellowish pale texture with somewhat old and shabby bricks;
2) for dark dungeon we need gray (or even black) bricks with sinister look;
3) for a casstle labyrinths we need stone (light gray, not very even shape) bricks - tough-looking, REALLY durable;
4) for some Modern era steam factories we need more goodlooking bricks with traditional red colors;
and so on...

Then, when we know what we exactly need, it would be much easier to find a respective texture.
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-28 04:55
Would it be practical to make a wood material, we already have the logs, but what I mean is, a material that can be "drawn" in an editor like any of the other materials.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-28 06:06
...what?

Trees make wood, not landscape.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-28 06:14
think about it, it wouldd act like wood, but could not be chopped down, but could be lit on fire.

a wood material like granite or ash or sand, not object material but terrain material.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-28 09:09
O_o
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-28 10:01 Edited 2010-02-28 10:13
is that an "oh now i get it", or an insult?

By the way, could use it to make a race where most of the terrrain is wood, and the end is earth/rock/granite/etc.  The wood would be lit on fire after 5 seconds, forcing the racers to run for their lives.  The racers start talking before the race starts:

Ever have to run for your life through a buring tunnel of wood?
     No.
     Good luck then.  lolz
     BOOOOOM!!!!!
     Does that mean start?. . . . ftztzztzz, crackalcklc, (other burning sounds), RUN FOR IT!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........................................
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-28 11:52
Well. Making materials is fairly easy, and considering possible usefullness of wood material I would rather say, that it is bad idea to implement it into collection of default materials.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-28 16:53
not for defualt material, just something fun that can  be added in a later pack
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-28 18:46
Yes. You can make it only available in one/few scenarios, so I don't think it should be in official, "global" material folder or in an "official" expansion pack.
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-28 18:54
mabye a fun but not esential objects/things/scenarios/stuff/etc pack that has this and other such things
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-28 23:01 Edited 2010-02-28 23:04
Wood comes from trees, which is a plant, not a landscape material. Unless you have clonks the size of ants so they can burrow around in a giant tree, this makes absolutely no sense at all. The only thing I can remotely imagine that would be like this is coal, because it is a landscape material, and comes from wood.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-01 01:27
yeesh, you guys complain about people thinking too much in terms of what clonk was instead of what it could be, im just tryin to come up stuff that can be added later.

You say that this forum is for ideas, and yet ya shoot the people that come up with "out there" ideas just cause they're weird.   

A little politeness is all im askin for, sorry for being distraught.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Additional materials
1 2 Previous Next