Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Elevators, Lifts, and Ropeways
- - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-13 12:14
Was going through this sites attachments page and found the topic about Elevators, lifts, and ropeways.
One thing in particular caught my attention;
     Tinu: i know, its a new idea. I also had the idea of a ropeway, but i didnt realize that you meant this with your idea of the lift. I think we "need" both, a lift for vertical and a ropeway for horizontal/oblique transport.
     Caesar: Hmm, and if both types were using the same liftcase, so they could be connected?

After reading this it hit me, y not have a system of elevators(starting point-down), lifts(starting point-up), and ropeways(starting point-left-and/or-right) that could be connected, so that the cases on an elevator could rise up out fo the ground, stop at the top of the elevator, switch over to the ropeway, and then just keep moving.
The same would work for switching to an elevator from a ropeway and both/either for lifts/ropeways.
The elevators/lifts/ropeways in this example would all have the same case or watever that moves along their structures.
A note on when 2 or more of these cases meet, u could just have it so that they pass through each other without stopping or resistence unless they r controled by opposing clonks/teams.

Hope u guys can make it happen! :)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-13 12:32
Could be a nice idea
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-02-13 12:42
A bit like in hhgttg?
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-13 13:06
sort of sevn, though u make elevators and lifts separatly, and u can connect them together with the ropeways, but remember, to do this it would be best to have just ONE kind of case for all of them, and this case would have to have atteatchment or watever that would hint at/show/signafy that it can move across all three devices.

by teh way, when u come to one of the two junctions, elevator/ropeway or lift/ropeway, could simply make it so that u press the corressponding directional button to switch devices; ropeway to lift=up, ropeway to elevator=down, elevator/lift to ropeway=left/right.

Im not sure if this would conflict with any previous control scheme for these devices, but im sure u guys could come up with something that works.

By the way, a clonk walking on the ground would obviously be able to pass right through a case that is on a ropeway without colliding with it, would only be able to get on at a junction or at a ropeway on/off station.

Cant wait to see if u guys make it so.
- By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-13 13:21
By the way, if u guys were to implement the ropeways like this, i suggest only a 30 degree angle possible when building up or down, and should not be able to do this:
    http://forum.openclonk.org/image_show.pl?aid=551 <by Enrique
As in it shouldnt be able to zig zag over/under itself.
No splitting in the ropeway either, only at elevator or lift junctions should it be able to pick a different path, though u can connect one ropeway to the top of any elevator/lift and it goes wherever, and another one to the bottom of those same elevators/lifts, BUT, the 2 different ropeways should not be able to connect, otherwise elevators and lifts might become obsolete.

Can never think of an entire fully detailed description in one post, oh well.
- By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-28 04:44
Was thinking about this, but to connect elevators/lifts to ropeways, mabye for the top of an elevator/life shaft there needs to be built an elevator junction, ana at teh bottom needs to be built a lift junction. so then the elevator/lift combo could not expand anymore, but you could connect a ropeway to it at either junction.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Elevators, Lifts, and Ropeways