Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Idea][Object] Knife
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-16 20:27
Recently I've come up with an idea of adding new item - The Knife:

Knife is one of the core objects in every peoples life so it is essential that we must think about implementing it in OpenClonk.
Knife can be used for making ropes and weapons, skinning animals, baking bread (choose the one you like the most :-). It can also be used as a basic weapon (hit or throw, or maybe both of them). Inventory image can look like the following:

If someone is interested in this idea, I can provide 3D-model as well.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-16 20:52
You need a knife for baking bread? :-P

I prefer buildings to make tools (and food).
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-16 20:59 Edited 2010-02-16 21:05
Well, "baking bread" was just a joke.
When I first thought about knife it was: "If we have wolves..." you know.
Second thought was about making a throwing weapon (though the model above is definitely NOT a throwing knife).
The third thought was: Someone mentioned a possibility of implementing both primary and secondary uses so I thought of knife as a universal weapon which is used for hitting as well as throwing.
The fourth thought... you can see it in the post above.
So that's how it goes, I suppose...
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-16 21:05

>both primary and secondary uses so I thought that knife can be a universal weapon used for hitting as well as throwing.

That would still be one use: you can also throw the sword.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-16 21:13
Well, the sword will fly like an ordinary rock:
              ______
         _ /             \_
     _ /                     \_
   /                              \
@                                X

While knife can fly at lower angle:
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2010-02-16 21:27
since you can choose the angle, the knife will just have moar speed?
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-16 21:44
Yes
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-16 22:45
Medieval peoples actually used the same knives to kill people that they used to eat with. I think simply a more weapon-knife design would be better, though I can't think of a practical use (that's not already fulfilled) in Clonk. I suppose it might be interesting to be able to skin animals like in Western, but what will we use skins for?
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-16 22:52
Then I suggest to close this topic and concentrate on more important stuff.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-16 22:55
I've got nothing better to talk about right now. If someone can think of a unique use for a knife (or possibly things made with a knife), it could be quite interesting.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-17 00:55

"Medieval peoples actually used the same knives to kill people that they used to eat with"

:D
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-17 01:14
Uses:

Killing
Skinning
Carving
Lockpicking

Do any of these help?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-17 01:33

>Killing

sword, javelin, club, anything else you can throw already does this. :p

>Skinning

What are you going to do with skins? I suppose you could use them for a farworlds scenario to keep warm or something. But that's farworlds.

>Carving

axe

>Lockpicking

I think only M&M ever used lockpicking, what are we going to lockpick in the basegame?

Not trying to shoot down your suggestions, it's just that I've already thought of these and come to these conclusions (except maybe lockpicking).
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-17 01:36
umm sory, i wasnt really thinking about basic stuff, besides, like in the western stuff u skin an animal, turn its skin into leather, then u could turn it into stuff like rope, a anorak, or even use it as parts for special equipment, (like divers suit if u dont have any aqua or hydro clonks).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-17 01:51

>(like divers suit if u dont have any aqua or hydro clonks).

I like this idea; I had thought about it myself but had forgotten a while ago. However, I think we'll be using wool/wool-fabric for rope and suits. Because of the advanced culture Clonks seem to already have, it seems strange to require such a primitive tool. Using skinned furs to make Nordic garb would be awesome for an addon pack, though.

Also, I just thought of a possible use for the knife. In Clonk Rage, clonks heal by entering the magical home base, where they sleep or eat or do witchcraft which restores their life energy. I'm thinking it could be interesting to have a Western-like disemboweling use for a knife, where you can cut up dead animals into steaks to use as health items. I've always thought of Clonks as pioneers into new land; and I think being able to hunt could be an interesting aspect to the game (even if it was already done in Western :p). Any thoughts?
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-17 02:00
well theres cooked bird, snake, pirana, fish, y not cooked bear!
Parent - By Kanibal [de] Date 2010-02-17 12:45
Both of the meanings are .. uhm... :P
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-02-17 23:26
Where I come from we call this thing "Hümmelchen" (don't google it). Any german here knows what I mean?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-18 00:59
I think we'd call it a huntsman's knife in Canada.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-18 08:16
I'd rather not tell you how it is called in my country :-)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-18 12:00
We call it "Butterbrotmesser".
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Idea][Object] Knife