Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
- - Date 2010-02-19 20:58
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-19 16:13
Sorry for the off topic but I see that you have added grass so I want to ask if it can be already seen somewhere in the game?
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2010-02-19 16:36
Just add the grass environment to a scenario
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 20:08
Too bad I can not use the development mode :-( (Some strange error occurs). But thanks anyway.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [us] Date 2010-02-22 20:18
You can add this to any scenario by starting the scenario, activating debug mode (ctrl+F5), and typing in:
/script CreateObject(GRSP)

For me, 'Enter/return' won't open the typing box anymore. You might have to hit "shift+enter" (and erase /team) to enter this command.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 20:20 Edited 2010-02-22 20:29
I'll give it a try.
EDIT: Yeah, it works. ENTER does not work either (though you can use F2 instead)
Parent - - By clonkine [de] Date 2010-02-19 16:37
Play Worlds.c4f/Outset.c4s
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-19 17:15
Thanks
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-19 18:10
Hrm, the grass looks like plastic :-(
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-19 20:58 Edited 2010-02-19 21:03
I'll see if I can fiddle with the lighting (edit:mrh, lighting seems fine... time to make a texture), and add a texture if I can't get a favourable result.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 01:32
I like how it flies around when you blow it with dynamite... but it stays in place if you dug the upper layer. (Also green grass looks way too odd on a brown surface)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-20 01:48

>it stays in place if you dug the upper layer.

Yes, I've noticed this as well. However, there are no callbacks for an object to react to upon DigFree(). As such, I've made grass render behind the landscape so it appears to be on the edge of the hole you have dug, and can be buried by terrain.

>(Also green grass looks way too odd on a brown surface)

What do you suggest? This is how it appears in real life, you just don't see the dirt underneath. :p
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 08:51 Edited 2010-02-20 10:29

> What do you suggest?

A tiny green layer? Another - smaller - type of grass? Do not know, really... :-(

EDIT: It would also be good to make grass grow again when time passes (otherwise it would disperse very quickly)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-20 03:20 Edited 2010-02-20 03:26
My point is that this kind of deco - plants - shouldn't be rendered. It always turns out to look like plastic imo. Look at the plants in CR.

This is what grass looks like:
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-20 03:37

>It always turns out to look like plastic imo.

I'm not sure I really understand that. Is it because they are motionless? Are the blades of grass too wide?

>This is what grass looks like:

I only see one very small patch of grass in the middle-bottom of this picture. The rest is all bushes (and trees). This is what I'm trying to emulate as grass.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-20 14:29

>I'm not sure I really understand that.

I just think that vegetation shouldn't be rendered for the same reason textures aren't.

>I only see one very small patch of grass in the middle-bottom of this picture.

This is what wilderness looks like. And that's my point: If you render vegetation, the vegetation will always look like an English lawn, some perfectly planned vegetation that only contains those things that were explicitly added (to the model). Wheras if you take material from photos (my photo above is not fitting for a grass texture, I just wanted to show you chaotic wilderness), you end up having actually what you want much faster, much easier and with a more realistic result because it actually is actual grass. And if there are some thistles, flowers and moss in that, it's OK because this is how actual grass looks like.

The clonk landscape is lacking some good decoration, not only grass but bushes, moss and vines, big(ger) cracks on tunnel walls, rock formations and stalagmites/stalagtites in the background, big trees and plants which partly block he sight (are in front), yeah even themed stuff like ancient statues, pillars, dinosaur bones etc. etc.
Then it makes a big big difference in athmosphere if all that was rendered or taken from actual photos.
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2010-02-20 22:55
Vegetation can look realistic, if the modelling and the texturing is non-static. In english: Scattering, algos for modelling, eg MoGraph or xfrog module. And the golden section! If you paint a plant or render it, theres no difference except the working-quality. Err, you know what I mean.