Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Object] Rope
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 21:45
Recently I've introduced an idea of adding new "resource" - the rope. As things move on there appears a lot of different objects that need rope as a "construction material" (for example, a catapult if the third concept is approved after all). So before this idea is rejected for no good I decided to create a model and graphics for it. So here is what I have:

Well, of course it will not be seen in game this way. So here is a more usefull (inventory) image:

Do not know which one looks better

At first I wanted to create a model which can be used ingame but then thought that it would take too much polys for such a small object. Can we just use a sprite instead (like, for instance, current dynamite representation)?

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: rope-1.blend (146k)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-20 22:28
I think, that ingame inventory and item images should be sprites, and when holden by clonk it could be a model. As for rope(ie.: rope hanging from ceiling) it could be composed of small sprites(like 20x100 at 5x zoom), that are used to represent the rope.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-20 22:36
Rope will NOT be hanging from ceiling. We do not talk about rope ladder here. (Rope is just a trading good... like a metal bar)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 15:00
Yeah, very nice!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 15:19
BTW, while you are at it: Can you create a model for a cable too? Either mostly the same but in shiny-metal grey (or copper) or as some roll with cable on it.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 15:25 Edited 2010-02-21 20:11
Alright. Though I need to know whether we are using models ingame or just sprites for small objects (personally I think the sprites will do - just make them big and detailed enough).
EDIT: Prefer roll for cable. It looks more realistic
EDIT: You can take a look here
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 16:01
Yes, sprites for non-animated small objects.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 16:48

> in shiny-metal grey (or copper)

This leads us to the important conceptual issue: whether we will use the same metal (iron) for all the stuff in OC or we will have few different metals.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-21 17:02
Look at the foundy: It's roof is copper-like material. But I don't think we need to introduce several materials only because of some fancy colors of produceables. In that logic, we need different kinds of wood because the wood of e.g. the shield is much redder than that of the elevator etc.
As long as it has no gameplay value to introduce different kinds of ore (or get different kiinds of metal out of the ore) but just add value for he eye (looks better), I'd say we leave it with one metal kind. Nobody cares two hoots about this kind of "realism".
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 17:49
Alright. I thought something like this as well.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-22 03:40
did u say something about differetn kinds of wood? or r u just talking about trees, logs, burnt trees, and burnt logs?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-22 05:34
Newton was referring to different species of wood, which we are not going to have because:
"As long as it has no gameplay value... Nobody cares two hoots about this kind of "realism"."

Also, this is an international forum, and mostly everyone here has a native language that is not english, and will have a hard time (or simply not bother) understanding what you are even trying to say. Refrain from using "chat spelling" because this forum is strictly written in english, not gibberish.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-22 08:18
Parent - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-22 12:22
Thanks for the tip, but next time just send me a message, no need to try an humiliate me for everyone to see.  <its a joke

Sorry though, when just about every chat and forum I enter uses the same kind of shorthand, it just kind of becomes habit, though oddly enough when im doing school work I automatically write everything out in full.

As to the subject, some things need to be kept simple.  <agreeing with previous desisions
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-21 12:28
Rope WILL NOT be used for hanging, absailing, climbing and whatever. Only as a construction material. Period. For other stuff we will have grappling hook and rope ladder - that should suffice.
Guys, come on. We talk too much about things which does not really matter. I mean there are already 10 posts in this topic and no usefull information so far. This is the "Art Workshop" board, not "Ideas and Concept" so, please, stick more to the forum rules.
Thanks for understanding.
Parent - Date 2010-02-21 15:57
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Object] Rope