Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Quadratic textures
- - Date 2010-02-23 16:11
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-02-22 09:26
i know some gamers who don't have a graphics card that does support non-quadratics.
and even, it's slower.
Parent - - By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-02-22 12:27
Just wonderin, but what is the difference between quadratic and non-quadratic, and what does it have to do with?  So far i only see that is has something to do with graphics.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-22 17:15
If you don't know what something is, wiki it. You'll always look intelligent. ;)
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-02-22 14:29
A few years back, I didn't know any gamers who didn't have a graphics adapter that doesn't support non-quadratics. But compatibility gets better, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Why do you think it's slower? Do you have data to back this up? Intuitively, I'd say non-quadratics can save you memory and thus speed things up.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-02-23 13:29

> Intuitively, I'd say non-quadratics can save you memory and thus speed things up.

It all depends on how the GPU implements them. It might very well just simulate them by only using part of a bigger texture. But that's no worse than what the engine would do to simulate it, so...
Parent - - By Carli [de] Date 2010-02-23 14:52

>Why do you think it's slower?

i don't think it - i know it.

@compatibility:
i know there are some graphic card drivers that do only support OpenGL 1.1 and for those we should keep compatibility.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-23 16:11
Compatibility mode then, please. It's kinda stupid to limit engine just because some people can't utilize possibilities of newer API. I'd suggest to put few levels of 'details', that can utilize newer versions of OpenGL, but also disable them for compatibility reasons.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-02-23 18:19
there was just a discussion about a "waste of pixels", so it would bring no advantage to the engine itself
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-02-23 17:40

>> i don't think it - i know it.

> Do you have data to back this up?

Up Topic General / General / Quadratic textures