Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Concept][Object] Boat
- - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-25 23:01
I know that it was not yet discussed properly, also know that this is even not in our TODO list but anyway: It's been a week since I came up with this Idea, so why not to share it with the community?

Ok, the point is that we will one day definitely need a vehicle to swim across water masses. CR had a so called "ship" but ship in a full sense of this word should be something monumental (much bigger than the clonk). So I suggest a boat.
The first image that appears in mind when thinking about boat is something like this:

A not very big boat with two paddles on both sides which can be used in sitting position. Personally I find this design a bit unfitting for OC mainly because of two resons:
1) operable in sitting pose - involves additional animation difficulties;
2) hard to take something big (like a lorry) inside;
That's why I came up with another design - a flat-bottom boat:

This type of boats is usually operated by a single long paddle while standing. Also there is enough space to take your favorite wipf on the journey with you...

The first reference for a model was a real flat-bottom boat I saw during my river trip last summer. But after some searching in Google I found even better reference for my idea:

And so I decided to implement something similar:

It is not textured yet though it is easy to see the main idea. Model has only 80 polies. Not very detailed (most details can be covered by a texture) because I think that a simple clonk boat should not have a lot of them. Also it looks pretty nice from the side:

While operating his boat clonk has to hold a paddle in both of his hands:

For animation he should make periodic strokes: one to the left side of the boat, another one to the right side, then again to the left and so on.

Hope to hear any usefull ideas concerning boat design.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-02-26 01:03
Boats were largely useless in CR, because a clonk could swim just as fast as the boat could move.  They only defended against sharks, which are easy enough to avoid. Boats were also a real pain to get back onto shore, but this could be fixed in OC with implementation of a working anchor.

As I've thought before, boats could actually become quite useful to use in the Strategy-Map game I have written my thoughts about, because they would allow Clonks to travel across the ocean instead of just incredibly small lakes.
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-02-26 10:19 Edited 2010-02-26 11:47
Yeah, you post about command map somewhat quickened the implementation of my idea. So here are some of my thought concerning this issue:
1) At first I thought that for command map the ship (like the one we have here but without "wings") would fit more (because more than one clonk will travel by it at the same time);
2) But then I thought that it would be irrational for clonk to build a monumental ship just to cross a small river or lake;
So here we return to boat again.
3) If we are talking about command map boat, it should definitely have a sail (or maybe I'm wrong). I can still remain quite simple (like the one I posted before) but with triangular (windsurf-like) sail attached;
But after all I wish to use a boat during the ingame process (not only "command map").
4) I remember playing CR's pearl-seeking mission (forgot the exact name) with my brother. We started in two separate settlements each located on the different bank of the (lets call it) "lake". Though this idea seemed lame at the beginning, having a ship which will travel between our settlements was actually a great fun. It also helped a lot when (after blowing the underground cavern) the water level began to drop. Well, of course, until the blimp was built :-) But I'm talking not about CR now;
5) The speed of the boat is actually not a problem as we can easilly tweak it. The boat is no longer affected by wind (for it has no sail) - only by a water stream which is currently not implemented (and I doubt it will ever be);
6) We can make a boat even more usable by letting it transport some usefull stuff (lorries, cannons, catapults). We can even use it for diving - now as I think of it, it would be totally mindblowing! When diver's helmet is finally implemented, the pearl-diving will be even more interesting. You take two clonks with helmet and pump, board the boat, sail (or rather row) away to the center of the lake (the deepest spot), then one of the clonks jumps underwater and the other one is left pumping. When the first one gets the pearl, he emerges and boards the boat. And then both clonks safely return home. I do not mention (because I am a rather peacefull person) the possibility of atacking enemy casstle from the side of the water by firing a cannon placed on the boat. And many other similar things.
7) The existence of boat is essential since we "have" an airship (and possibly will have train as well) - otherwise there is an empty niche.
8) By working through the concept we can come up with interesting implementation of the boat when it will no longer be useless as CR's ship was... Oh, I've already told about that.

Anyway, I'd rather not haste with abandoning this idea because boat can end up with being extremely usefull vehicle (especially in scenarios with lots of water).
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-26 13:29
I am convinced. On other hand I was never against implementing boats. I think it's good idea to have at least one.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-02-26 13:51
Well, this is has even lower priority than buildings right now.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Concept][Object] Boat