Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / My thoughts on OC so far
- By TheBuilder [us] Date 2010-03-25 06:09 Edited 2010-03-25 20:15
I downloaded like the second or third "snapshot" a while ago to just kinda look at OC.  I just downloaded the most recent snapshot and engine.  I messed around with what there was for a while and heres what I think.

So far so good, though stuff is still missing, (not yet made or implemented of course).

I figured out what it was that I thought was "off" about it, the landscape looks like it was hacked together out of pieces of paper, though as I studied the textures and whatnot, they seemed decent enough.
     The controls are simple as long as you know them, but they are not immediately understandable, ( took me a minute to figure them out), happy enough knowing that they will be customizable eventually.
     Not being able to tell the clonk where to go with the click of the mouse was slightly bothersome but no big deal.  Also having to press two keys to throw an object may keep accidents from happening but is still slightly annoying.
     Nice work on the rope ladder and while you're at it why not make a rope bridge too.
     Shooting weapons works nicely, though for the bow, it would be nice if the longer you held down the button the farther back the clonk pulls the arrow, causing it to fly faster/farther.
     Being able to dig at any degree below 30 to 150 was cool.  Same for the loam.
     Being able to start digging from scaling and haggling was also very helpful.
     Whenever I ran a clonk off of a ledge onto lower ground, the clonk would pause for a split second before moving forward, now I know the impact of landing would slow someone down, but to have it stop a clonk completely, even for a split second is slightly annoying.  Maybe the impact from a high enough fall should slow the clonk down to half speed for a split second before going back up to regular speed?
     In the target practice scenario, it was kinda odd that the butterfly was words instead of a picture, though I'm guessing it hasn't been rendered yet, (kinda funny though).
     Is the time from, "ejecting" from the currently used boompack, to when the next one spawns, supposed to be different  between "ejecting" before it explodes and falling off of it when you crash into something while riding it?

Sorry if i'm too blunt or something, I find honesty to work better most of the time.  Anyway, keep up the good work!
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / My thoughts on OC so far