Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Request] Grappling hook
- - By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-27 16:59
We need some hand-crossbow like weapon for the grappling hook. It should look about the same as the linked picture but a little bit more robust/powerful as it requires more strength to shoot a grappling hook than a bolt.

Also, we need a new clonk animation for the ATTACH-action HangOnto: The clonk hangs onto the rope/something with one arm and has the other one free. Like in this videos The same animation can be used for the balloon.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-27 18:17

>We need some hand-crossbow like weapon for the grappling hook.

I'll get started on that. I haven't done anything in a while, so it'll be nice to get working again. :)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-28 02:55
Well, here's the first design. I can easily modify to fit any specifications.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-28 13:01 Edited 2010-03-28 13:48
I think, there was something said about robustness :=)
Hm... I think I know where my grappler can fit... It can be used as an ammunition for this "gun"
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-28 17:50
Well, I made the handle and trigger more rugged designs. I could thicken the metal pieces I suppose.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2010-03-28 22:51
Can you make a reel on top of that where the rope fits in?

Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-29 00:38
A few changes, too.

Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-29 07:02
Looks very phantasmagoric. Personally I like designs that can not be met in the real world. And this "crossbow" is definitely one of them.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-29 19:04
I like Clonkonaut's suggestion more. (Reel on top, where the end of the hook is). Also, the handle still looks odd - how would the clonk grab that properly / what's that thing below that grey cube?

I posted a low-poly grappler hook in the ressources repository but perhaps you want to redesign it to better fit to your crossbow.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-29 19:19
I also thought the trigger did not fit too well with the curved handle. I'll see what I can do this evening.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2010-03-29 22:35
I don't know how big this is supposed to be but you (maybe) could make it look more handy by designing the handle revolver-like. Like a cool little assassin's gadget ;)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-30 07:18
A spool, a crossbow, a grappling hook, a revolver (think that portable refrigirator is still missing)... wow - this is certainly the most hi-tech object I ever saw in Clonk. Assassins will be happy :-)

I just thought we need something small and quickly-usable instead of a big robust mechanism. Something like the grappler Batman used in the "Batman" movie.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2010-03-30 08:19

> A spool, a crossbow, a grappling hook, a revolver
> Something like the grappler Batman used in the "Batman" movie.

I think they're both pretty much the same except for our idea is more medieval (because of the crossbow shooting mechanism).
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-30 08:25
Really, it is hard for me to imagine how the medieval grappler can be designed. The first idea that comes in mind is... yes, crossbow. But crossbows are usually big and heavy. Except for small "assassin-like" crossbows which are hard to imagine being able to fire heavy grappling hooks at a long distances.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2010-03-30 09:25
Well, imagine this one:

And don't think about if this would work in real life because it's not real life what we are designing.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-03-28 22:51
I like the handle of the hand crossbow I posted better. Also, AlteredARMOR is right - there should be some place where the rope goes. E.g. a round metal case or a spool for the loose rope.
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2010-03-28 22:48 Edited 2010-04-01 19:34
[deleted]
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-29 19:20
A crossbow shoots instantly; so it's better for high-speed run, jump, shoot, swing situations.
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-03-29 19:33 Edited 2010-03-29 19:35
I think we could have a CROSSBOW with different ammunition types
EDIT: but then again... if the crossbow model is going to have a reel, then only on type of ammunition can be used
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-03-30 10:07
I have another suggestion, on how it may look like. Imagine a pipe with a spring in it. On one end of the pipe is a small hook, where the hook could snap in. On the other end, there is the handle. So, the apparature doesn't look so instable, and its design is reasonable. How about that?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2010-03-30 12:44

> So, the apparature doesn't look so instable

But boring because what you see is a tube with a handle. You can't x-ray the inside.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2010-03-31 01:49
That's... true.
- - By dylanstrategie [fr] Date 2010-03-28 20:49
The crossbow will launch a roped hook, so is will have something to keep the rope attached !
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-28 20:54
Well, once could tie the rope on the rounded metal piece (hooks onto the bow).
- - By dylanstrategie [fr] Date 2010-03-31 21:20
And by the way, a ''boke'' inside the crossbow where the rope can be stocked, if i'm a Clonk, i don't want to have the rope too near of my feets...
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-04-01 00:05
Yes, I've got one of those. :) That's usually called a "spool" or "reel" (at least in Canada).

It's on the top of the crossbow in the latest model (so it rotates horizontally).
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Request] Grappling hook