Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / How the shield works
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-04-19 05:34
I was just playing around with OC today and had an interesting thought. Instead of the shield being an item which simply deflects objects, it could work with a solid mask to block. This way it could work like the Olaf character from the Lost Vikings. Apart from just blocking, the shield's user could also provide a physical platform. However, my experiences with rotating solid masks seemed to simply remove them until the object was reset to zero degrees. It might not be the most original idea, but I think it could make the shield a bit more robust.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-04-19 07:28
Mh, I can change it that way for testing. But I think there could be some problems with that (gameplay-wise)
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-04-19 08:38

> However, my experiences with rotating solid masks seemed to simply remove them until the object was reset to zero degrees.

You need to have RotatedSolidmasks=1 in DefCore.txt to avoid that. Also note that SolidMasks are not supported for mesh graphics so far.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-04-19 17:11
By the way, does anybody remember the reason for that flag? Did the gwe precompute rotated solidmasks like C4 and CP precomputed rotated sprites?
Parent - - By PeterW [de] Date 2010-04-19 23:18
I think it was me who originally implemented that. And if I remember correctly, it was just "maybe some scenario actually depends on that" paranoia.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-04-20 17:01
Okay, time for it to go away - Anybody who needs that feature can recreate it with SetSolidMask.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / How the shield works