Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Club functionality
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-03-05 23:36
I think the club should certainly do damage, if only minimally. Of course it will be great fun to bash enemies flying, but one shouldn't need to carry a club and sword to actually kill someone (unless you can actually bop them all the way over a cliff).
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-03-06 08:21

>I think the club should certainly do damage, if only minimally. Of course it will be great fun to bash enemies flying, but one shouldn't need to carry a club and sword to actually kill someone (unless you can actually bop them all the way over a cliff).

Currently you'd rather carry a stone and a bat, throw the stone high into the air and shoot it towards the enemy using the bat :]
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 11:25
And use up two item slots? Are you serious??
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-04-13 14:49
It's a cheap catapult! Defying logic it could even be used to fling flints or other explosives!
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-04-14 13:33

> ...used to flints...

At least it was intended to (IIRC)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-06-07 00:55
Well, the wind jar can easily do this, and can do this far easier.

I think the best fit for the club in gameplay would be a player vs. player smack-him-over-the-head, send him flying and do some damage to boot, type of weapon. Sure, it's hilarious to strike a clonk in the face with a rock before he's even close to you, but how likely is this to happen? Personally, it's only happened once for me, as I can recall. Players will simply choose to use the Windjar instead, as it does practically the same thing (and more!), but it's much easier to use.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-06-07 09:06

>Sure, it's hilarious to strike a clonk in the face with a rock before he's even close to you, but how likely is this to happen?

Depends on how easy it is to use. And I was talking about your inventory objects (not objects lying around on the ground). A secondary key would come in handy there again (fling the object in the other hand in the direction you aim)

>send him flying

But how far? It will become frustrating quite fast if your enemy just keeps sending you flying while you cannot do much against it (f.e. because you have a sword)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-06-07 16:17

>It will become frustrating quite fast if your enemy just keeps sending you flying while you cannot do much against it

It's not 100% assured that when you swing the club, you'll hit your enemy. Also, it would be possible for the player with the sword to jump out of range (height controllable jump would be especially handy here) and chop him before he can ready his club again.

>(not objects lying around on the ground)

Yeah, that's what I meant. It is fairly difficult to toss a rock in the air, time the swing correctly and aim all at the same time.

>A secondary key ... (fling the object in the other hand in the direction you aim)

Thought about this myself. Should we really have a hand-held object which can basically replace the functionality of the catapult? Even if it has minor differences (i.e: less strength of shot), players will likely choose to use the catapult less because a hand-held object is much more convenient.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-04-13 11:25
Why shouldn't the club deal good damage too? To just fling stuff is a rather limited purpose for one item - to boot, it is currently still very hard (or impossible? never managed to do it) to bat items flying towards you.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-04-13 14:49

>it is currently still very hard (or impossible? never managed to do it) to bat items flying towards you.

Yepp, I did not really change the numbers (radius e.g.) after implementing the first rough version
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Club functionality