Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] New Musket Graphic
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-08 07:23
Much like how I was not impressed with the old sword's graphic, I felt the musket never really captured how I intended it to look like.

Recently, I found a design I liked very much, and based a new graphic on that. What do you think?

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-07-08 08:53
It looks more.. chubby than the old one. I like it
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-07-08 10:21
Both the old and the new one look good.
Parent - By Faby [it] Date 2010-07-08 11:37
imho this one looks better than the old one
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-07-08 12:20
I'd like to suggest extruding the barrel a bit further  (for another quarter... or even 1/3) so this weapon will look more like musket rather than the sawed-off shotgun.
Other than that I like it.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-07-08 14:41

>I'd like to suggest extruding the barrel a bit further  (for another quarter... or even 1/3) so this weapon will look more like musket rather than the sawed-off shotgun.

I like that the barrel is so short. That makes it look less realistic and more ..clonkish? :)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-07-08 18:01
Then I suggest renaming it to culverin or lupara (or, in the end, blunderbuss) :-) Though I can't let go off the feeling that with this width/length proportions it should be called a hand mortar.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-07-08 18:03
I am in favor of blunderbuss
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-07-08 19:27
I knew you'd say that :-)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-08 21:10
Indeed, it was actually modelled from a weapon called the "musketoon". However, a musketoon (very much like a blunderbuss) was basically an archaic shotgun. The musket's function is to shoot a single, accurate lead shot. If we rename it blunderbuss, it wouldn't be a very accurate title...
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-07-08 22:33

>If we rename it blunderbuss, it wouldn't be a very accurate title...

I don't really care if the title is technically accurate in a world where I am ridin' mah rocket. :)
(And noone said we wouldn't eventually have small shot ammunition anyway!)
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-07-09 06:58 Edited 2010-07-09 07:00
If fact, musketoon and blunderbuss are pretty much the same weapon. (For instance, in my native language word "musketoon" is the exact translation for the word "blunderbuss").

So, as Zapper states there is not a very big deal for how we call our objects (as long as they are thoroughly implemented and work without any bugs).
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-07-09 09:17
The musket in general could just shoot one shot. BTW the term "musket" is a term almost as general as "pistol". Whatever the "stereotype" musket might be, we don't have to call the musket something else just if it doesn't exactly match that . "The musketoon is a shorter barrelled version of the musket..." (WP).
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-08 21:21
The barrel was originally longer but I shortened it to (more or less) match the length of the previous musket. I agree with Zapper though; the short barrel has a kind of charm to it, don't you think? :)
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-07-09 07:00
Yeah, kinda...
Will we have a buckshot ammunition for it? (probably for killing bees?)

P.S. It's not a joke, I realy mean it.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-09 08:09 Edited 2010-07-09 09:57
What did bees ever do to you?

Edit: If you meant yellow-jacket wasps I share your hatred for those damn things. Many people here confuse a "bee" with a "yellow-jacket wasp".
Parent - - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-07-09 19:52
Yeah, I can hardly remember the number of times I had to correct someone from calling wasp a bee.

Remind me, please, did we have a bee nest in CR or the yellow-jacket wasp nest ?

Edit: I didn't mean any hatred... but if you put it that way I have been bitten both by a wasp and by a bee and I can say that bees can be MUCH more dangerous.

EDIT: I remember! It was realy a wasp nest.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-10 18:18

>Remind me, please, did we have a bee nest in CR or the yellow-jacket wasp nest ?

They were Zapps; they looked like a cross between a wasp and a misquito. :D Also, in real life I got stung by a wasp not long ago. Damn thing got me on the forearm when I was using a can of cologne and a match as a makeshift flamethrower to burn them out of their nest. Har har har!
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-07-12 06:55
So... Will you model a flamethrower object by yourself or leave it to me?
=)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-07-09 10:03

>Will we have a buckshot ammunition for it? (probably for killing bees?)

I think it is a good idea to offer the player different kinds of ammunition. Especially with different behavior - and not only different damage (see M&M *cough*)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-11 18:46
Ok, it seems the overall opinion is that these graphics are >= the previous one, so I'll implement them into the game.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] New Musket Graphic