Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Interested American Developer
- - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-10 02:17
Hello,

I'm interested in Clonk development from Austin, TX, in the USA... just found out about it from a random post by a player/fan on Shacknews.

I'd be interested to help with getting funds for an iPad/XBLA/Steam (Win/Mac) version... and in developing some extensions/games based on the Clonk engine, also have several game ideas that could run on top of it including a project that was abandoned by its founder.

I'm a little sad/frustrated right now because I can't connect to EUIRC from the US, and there's no Clonk channels on Freenode...

I would be interested in helping get a fund going for Clonk development based on any profits a group I put together for an iPad or console version made, and helping Clonk succeed in the US, I am currently a business development manager and producer/designer at an indie game company and I have some experience talking with funders and publishers as well as console makers etc, and in production and design. I would like to help out!!! and I have also had experience in open source projects like Super Tux, Glest, Stratagus, Freeciv and some of my own both hobby indie and open source projects... since 2000.

Please let me know where I can help... I really like what I see in Clonk! :)
Michael Lubker
Indie Developer/IGDA Indie SIG Co-coordinator
http://linkedin.com/in/zratchet
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [ca] Date 2010-07-10 05:53

> I'm a little sad/frustrated right now because I can't connect to EUIRC from the US

Why not? I could when I was in the US. Sometimes it says "This connection is not authorized" or something when connecting but it worked when trying a second or third time (maybe it's just certain servers that don't allow connections from the US?).

As for the rest I won't comment since personally I am not much interested in iPad or consoles; but that should not stop you from contributing in that area of course :). I'd guess to acquire funds it would simplify a lot if we had something to show, i.e. some kind of release, though.
Parent - - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-10 20:28
Thanks for the tip, didn't know about the IP range thing. Might be good to have that info posted.

As far as funding, what is the status of RedWolf, is there any activity other than hosting the site and leagues? Would they have a problem having it brought to a larger audience and/or would it just be a thing of crediting?

We could probably show things from the classic game(s) to provide an idea of what Clonk is. Also... IF there was an interest in a 3D version still or even a 2D version w/ more physics etc ala Trine, Unity would probably be the way to go as it supports Win/Mac/Lin as well as the platforms I mentioned and more (all home consoles (not handhelds like PSP or DS) and iDevices and Android once v3 comes out). You could even have a browser based version with Unity.

I have connections with a few publishers/funders and also a few other ideas, the Freenode IRC game development community is pretty good for getting more exposure (I know the SuperTux dev team from there, mostly Germans), plus there's the Global Game Jam and Google Summer of Code where you could get some good development done. I also know some local companies which do ports to platforms I mentioned etc. Another way to promote this in the US would be getting a post on indiegames.com, tigsource.com or indiedb.com , or possibly even Kotaku or something like that.

My company is currently looking for projects to support once we get our own funding (hopefully soon) plus we have a couple other possible sources of funding/publishing for projects like this. Publishers are somewhat secretive though, so I have to get NDA's to talk about that seriously. :(

If anyone can be on IRC I will try again and I am usually up till around 5AM my time at the moment so shouldn't be an issue talking with anyone in Europe. I'll be zratchet :)

Lastly, are there any tricks to getting connected in Clonk Rage games? It kicks me out of multiplayer games halfway through loading the assets. :(

~M
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-10 20:45
I suppose a dev would need to ask matthes about it. However, we will need to make a team decision if changing the project's format from open-source to closed-source would be a good idea before anything else.

>Lastly, are there any tricks to getting connected in Clonk Rage games? It kicks me out of multiplayer games halfway through loading the assets. :(

I can hardly ever connect to German games. Also, if the game is already running, the chance of actually connecting is incredibly low.
Parent - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-10 20:52
Could someone set up a game with me? I have been wanting to try out the multiplayer side of things. Still getting a hang of the controls in general too though :p

I am fine with it remaining open source, personally (I use primarily open source software whenever I can), and I think some of the sources I have for money wouldn't mind either. There's always the new business models, selling item packs or such (like Facebook games do)... which are compatible with open source. :)

Also, doing that for the iPad (have the original game free and have in-game addons for $1 or so...) would sell a lot I think.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-07-11 14:36

> I suppose a dev would need to ask matthes about it. However, we will need to make a team decision if changing the project's format from open-source to closed-source would be a good idea before anything else.

Fortunately, one can always just fork the last open version and continue development as an open source project elsewhere. I hope that enough developers would follow to "elsewhere" so that OpenClonk will continue to be developed indefinitely.
Parent - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-11 19:39
Let me be clear, I don't want to prevent OpenClonk from being open. :)
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-07-11 14:00

> As far as funding, what is the status of RedWolf, is there any activity other than hosting the site and leagues?

copyright: Redwolf Design has licensed the game engine of Clonk Rage under a very liberal (BSD-like) license, and new OpenClonk code is also licensed that way. Clonk Rage game content is only available as Shareware from Redwolf Design, OpenClonk game content is available under a Creative Commons license.
trademark: Redwolf Design owns the "Clonk" trademark, at least in Germany. See also http://hg.openclonk.org/openclonk/file/07b0755abbb8/licenses
Some OpenClonk contributors are also freelance developers for Redwolf Design and continue to maintain Clonk Rage, and a lot more if not most are or were active in the Clonk Rage community.
Apart from that, OpenClonk and Redwolf Design are independent.

So there's nothings that's stopping anybody from making and selling an OpenClonk port without talking to us or Redwolf Design. It'd be nice if they would contribute back, though :-)

OpenClonk the project could really use somebody who would put time into promoting it as a normal Open Source project, and some sounds and music. We have contributors who work on the engine code, the scripting and the graphics, but most of us are accustomed to have Redwolf Design do the marketing, and Clonk Rage already didn't have great sound and music either.
Parent - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-11 19:42
As far as contributing back, that's why I'm here. :) I wanted to explore the community, perhaps the best route is to make the option available on ClonkForge or a similar site to provide paid support licenses to projects who want to go commercial?

As far as the open source project, I am also fine with promoting it that way, I don't necessarily see an issue in promoting projects that may help push the main project forward too though.

I want to promote it for the American market. :)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-10 18:32
In my opinion, this would be just the kind of publicity that OpenClonk needs. Word of mouth can only bring us so far, and this is a chance to show the game to the largest player groups in North America.

>I can't connect to EUIRC from the US

Strange... are you connecting to "irc.ham.de.euirc.net"? (port 6667)
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-07-10 19:01 Edited 2010-07-10 19:06
I always connect to the Hamburg server, it seems to be one of the most liberal as far as the allowed IP ranges are concerned. The IRC client of CR (and now OC) always explicitly connects through Hamburg for exactly that reason.

Concerning the proposal: Just wondering - what are we actually talking about with "funds for an iPad/XBLA/Steam (Win/Mac)"? Getting some publisher to port and sell Clonk on these kinds of platforms?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-07-11 15:48
Hi zratchet!

I appreciate your interest to engage yourself in the open clonk project. You are offering to help the project by getting funds for clonk out of various indie game fund sources. They probably don't just give their money away to non-profit open source projects but require a business model how the project will later generate money to "pay back the fund".
However, OpenClonk is an open source project. All those who contribute to the project are working on it because it's their hobby and not to earn money. Partly probably because it is an open source project. The project is running without money, we don't have any development costs (other than the server costs) and thus we don't need a fund.
Regarding making money with the open clonk project (with different business models): This idea already circulated around the community a while ago, however there exist concerns about this - I think nobody wants that anyone feels deceived when the stuff he contributed because he thought it would be free later gets capitalized. Any decision having to do with making money with clonk that goes further than a simple donation button is a very sensitive matter and may not be taken lightly.
Also, Open Clonk is really not anywhere near a state yet where deciding about this matter or making ports to consoles makes sense. The game is far from finished. We have to focus on the core development first, IMO.

But able developers and contributors are something any (open source) project can need. And so do we ;-). You wrote that you got many connections in the game developer world and that you know about the ways to make a project more well known amongst developers (and players). I too think that we are not doing enough to make it easier for new people to contribute and find their place within the community, to make the project more well known and attractive for new devs to be part of the project. (Something MastroLindo already mentioned, regrettably his ideas ended in talk.) If you want to help the OC project, this is where you are needed :-)

Regarding your idea to make Clonk Rage appear on various game consoles and iStuff, I'd love it! I think Clonk Rage is really a game which is very well fit to play it on a mobile game console. However as the others already mentioned, we have nothing to do with Clonk Rage (copyright and trademark-wise), you have to contact Matthes. In fact, I just sent him a PM in the german clonk forum to contact you if he is interested.
Parent - - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-11 20:02
1) I can promote projects which want to do something commercial with the engine, separately from OC, in exchange for support fees and/or a percentage going back to donations to OC. Basically an engine licensing/support program, which I would manage and send stuff back to the OC team as needed. And developers that want to use the engine commercially still have full source code just a way to access someone (someones if I build a team for this) that's dedicated to commercial support. Also, this might not be the best for the indie-fund but I think it would work on Kickstarter (and this would also be N America centric)

2) I understand the concerns, my thought was to use funds for developers IF they want them (no deception), and if not to promote the game in areas where it isn't popular yet (i.e. North America, whether it be through getting more devs to join the OSS project, or to use the engine for their own projects, or eventually console games). My goal is promotion, and that goal may need money, if it's to be done right. Though to be honest I would want at least half of it to go as donations to OC. :)

3) I can make this very simple: I create a document about the rules for commercial content and people who want to contribute to that set of data can sign to it. Otherwise, all moneys would go to the promotion fund and half of that would go to the donate button for OC.

4) Re: Finishing - I'm completely on board with recruiting at the OSS level to finish OC, the promotional side of things can be completely abstracted if that's the wish of the dev team.

5) Re: Making the project more well known - 1) I can and will do everything I can to help recruit on the OSS end. 2) I would like to, as suggested above, have a fund for promotion - to do engine licensing/support for now (which feeds back into the OSS end because feature requests come in) and eventually when the engine is further along to do console ports. And to get news/(p)reviews into the mainstream and indie gamer sites. 3) I can help with recruiting, audio (to some extent), design (both new design and documentation to help make the project easier to jump into), production if needed, organizing testing and community stuff, maybe organizing a North American league/server... :)

6) Lastly, I hope matthes responds, I would really love to help with the CR stuff too - I hate seeing great games die (like Lemmings, Age of Empires, etc :( )

I hope this covers everything well... let me know!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-07-11 23:52 Edited 2010-07-11 23:55

> I hate seeing great games die (like Lemmings, Age of Empires, etc :( )

I just recently played AoE 2 against my brother again, it seemed pretty alive ;-). In my definition, a game cannot die when it has been released, only unfinished projects. What I hate are neverending sequels of the same game principles without introducing really new concepts. It's just reselling the same old shit in a new dress. One thing I don't like about many open source projects - clones of commercial games that have been done before. Are the 10€ for an old game really this much that people have to completely rewrite it just to make it OS?
Parent - - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-11 23:55 Edited 2010-07-11 23:58
I meant support dies (i.e. very hard at least here in the US to get AoE working due to old netcode/incompatibility with the way ISPs are set up these days).

I agree about sequels and clones, but it happens in the paid industry too, people will make things like what they like. :p

Any comments on anything else?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-07-12 00:21
Yeah, had to turn off IPv6 support.
Parent - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-12 00:24
Hmm, never thought to do that (or see anyone say to on forums etc)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-07-12 00:20
As a programmer, understandably I am pretty inexperienced in the field of promotion and all that. And perhaps I also have a different conception of what promotion is, so, what exactly do you mean by promotion, what would it involve and also what do you have in mind when you say that promotion may need money?
Parent - - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-12 01:27
Any or all of these:

Previews/Reviews/News (takes time and possible money to go meet reporters)
Advertising (definitely needs money)
Business Development (if the engine is promoted to developers)
Dev Team Members (to support/create content with OC team in aforementioned American-friendly and/or console/mobile-friendly versions, even if not called Clonk to avoid trademark issues)
Support Team Members (to support promotional and bizdev support concerns)
Content Team Members (to produce trailers and other promo materials)
Infrastructure Team Members (to run leagues, servers, etc in the US)
Parent - By zratchet [us] Date 2010-07-15 01:35
Newton,

I also sent you a PM about what I can do for OpenClonk itself besides the promotion stuff, did you see it?
Up Topic General / General / Interested American Developer