Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Building Clonks from Stone and Wood
- - Date 2010-07-30 19:41
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-07-24 15:55

>It's already just about playing gold, isn't it?

Was one OC-shop concept not about getting rid of the gold as a possibility to buy everything? :)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-07-24 16:00 Edited 2010-07-24 16:02
So you want to build a Clonk from stone and wood? ;)

I have argued in the past that it should be more scarce - that you shouldn't get gold for some useless stuff you found in the landscape. But as we are at least half aiming for fast gameplay, having one central "buy it all" resource still seems like a good idea to me. I'm actually having more trouble thinking about a good way of fitting wood & co into the whole scheme.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-07-25 16:12
Maybe building clonks out of clay and embedding them with some magic stone? :p
(obviously that's a joke)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-28 01:41
Well, here is a solution for making clonks with stone & wood:

Whenever you build a home building (lets have for the example the wooden cabin) a Clonk 'moves in' to the home (spawned via script). If the clonk dies, eventually another clonk will 'move in' to the house. For larger structures, more clonks could move in (ie: Castle -- 3 clonks). This way gold is completely removed from the Clonk creation loop, and would create a reason for making settlements with 'house' structures.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-07-28 09:27
I'm not so sure if this is a good idea... sounds like a quite big hack to get rid of the problem easily...
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-28 16:37
Well, come on. It makes just as much sense as Wooden Cabins which transmute gold into Clonks.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-07-28 20:02
Did I ever say that this was a good idea?
Both are quite stupid, but I rather prefer idea of 'hiring' clonks, than having them dwell in my wooden cabin and miraculously reproduce themselves out of nowhere
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-29 00:47

>Both are quite stupid

Sorry, but what the hell? How is the idea of clonks "moving in" to a settlement "quite stupid"? Hundreds of strategy games have the "unit spawns at building X" and I've never heard anyone gripe about that before.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-07-29 10:15 Edited 2010-07-29 10:22
Then now you hear one :>
In strategies it is forgivable, because nobody wants gamers to worry about such low-level tasks like managing to get new units via some special means. Player should just click the button and receive the units.
In clonk, however, this would be bad. Why? Because it already is a game mainly about controlling one clonk at time, and other units are mainly for defensive/research purposes, so buying these units seems a bit... simple and insignificant. Also mass buying them is a bad idea. And about disabling buying them in large quantities? What if they all die right after? Is the player left with only one clonk?[EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to finish this sentece :> ]
But your idea also isn't very good imo, because:
-Doesn't your idea make amount of clonks infinite?
-And huge if you have lots of 'houses' ?

There is only one thing that comes to my head.
Let's just state that clonks are NOT naturally reproducing living creatures.
Something like golems.
Made in special machines out of various materials(earth, clay, stone, etc.), maybe with varying skills/properties depending on material used?
Normal clonks are made of clay/earth.
Warriors skilled in using weapons are made out of stone(or metal, for stronger ones)
Mages are made of crystal.
Suicide clonks are made out of flint. (doubt if anyone will really use that)
Wise clonks(who better operate buildings/items when not selected, for research, etc.) are made out of gold.

Of course, you could also buy a ready clonk at homebase, but that should be expensive. So noone can have >10 clonks until they want it REALLY hard.

EDIT: Oh, after reading that I realize that making clonks probably would be not fun... however, I still am quite confident that implying that clonks are not living beings is a good idea

EDIT2: Hmm, however after second thought.... We could have some clonk-making machine, but with somehow limited amount available, clonk making would be quite time consuming, but not because of having to find resources...
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-29 16:26

>Made in special machines out of various materials

What?? Mimmo_O already explained this.

Why do we need to think about how clonks are created? The fact is, they already are, and they are only arriving at your base.

>-Doesn't your idea make amount of clonks infinite? -And huge if you have lots of 'houses' ?

This is a good point. However, if someone has wasted all their raw materials (wood / metal) on houses for their clonks instead of useful structures, then that is no winning strategy. Also, if clonks are spawned at houses it would not take much to limit the amount of clonks on a player's team... ( if(ObjectCount(Find_ID(Clonk), Find_Owner(iPlr)) < MaxCrewCount()) )

There could even be some "Upkeep" which could allow a player's crew to grow larger (ie: Food Storage or somesuch, so bread wouldn't only be a healing item)

>Of course, you could also buy a ready clonk at homebase, but that should be expensive. So noone can have >10 clonks until they want it REALLY hard.

So now you'd like to have gold as a strategic part of the loop? I thought the whole idea was to make the player utilize his environment properly instead of spam-selling everything he has.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-07-30 11:17
Well, perhaps we could have some building that periodically spawns new clonks, but the more clonks you have the more it takes for next one to spawn. This way destroying an enemy would either be destroying his base, or killing his clonks fast enough....
With a pre-set maximum for each scenario... Maybe 5 clonks as default?
Parent - - By Travis Date 2010-07-30 18:39
I like to have different ways of getting stuff. E.g. you spend some time to make much money, so you can buy materials and explosives, but you can also produce materials/explosives in the first place, without the effort of making money. That gives the Player different ways to get things and makes the game more complex.
Something like this could be interesting for the Clonk source. You can buy a proper Clonk, like paying somebody to work/fight for you, but you could also "produce" them in a training house or something, that needs to be supported with food and weapons or something. Maybe with an animation of a training Clonk in the front. Maybe Clonks could enter the world literally from on of the sides or with a one-way ballon from above?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-07-30 19:41

>Maybe Clonks could enter the world literally from on of the sides or with a one-way ballon from above?

Heh, I thought of this too. If the clonk entered the world from the sides, path-finding would cause hell. From above is a good idea; I'd say the clonk would need to ride a balloon which doesn't collide with the landscape.
Parent - - By knight_k [it] Date 2010-07-31 20:03

>>  or with a one-way ballon from above?
> Heh, I thought of this too.

reminds me a bit of the spaceships bringing new troops in Cortex Command...
Parent - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2010-07-31 22:35
...or in the Clonk Planet Hazard szenario.
Parent - - By zagabar [se] Date 2010-08-06 12:43
What about underground maps then?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-06 20:33
Good point. Complication like this is why I had originally though they could just "appear" in the house.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-08-07 23:27
Well, in fantasy/sci-fi themed maps we could use portals of according type.
I somehow dislike idea of clonks appearing in houses :>
Parent - - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2010-07-28 09:57
This is by the way already used in the Deep Sea Pack, the only way to get new clonks is to build "Residential Units".
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-07-28 10:18
Heh, noone is really playing with the Deep Sea Pack, though. ;)
Up Topic General / General / Building Clonks from Stone and Wood