Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Idea: Fire
- - By pluto [de] Date 2010-08-22 16:20
Some time ago I had written a fire(damage)-concept-idea-whatever. I liked the idea of different levels of burning.
the Thread was this: http://www.clonk.de/forum/de/topic_show.pl?pid=195491;hl=feuer#pid195491

It was( and IMO is) a balancing problem that fire arrows let a clonk burn completely. I would like, if a clonk gets hit by a small arrow it started to smoke a little bit and extinguishes after a bit time. If a clonk gets hit by more arrows he starts to incinerate al little, maybe this little flame extinguishes as well. Then he can burn a little or will be ablaze. So there could be around 3 or 4 levels of burning an cause different damage and different weapons can cause a different level. So there is the posibility to differentiate fire causing weapons, which is not possible in CR atm.

Sure, it sounds a litte complex and difficult. But for other Sorts of damage there are lots of different "levels" A sword causes x damage, an axe y damage, a musketbullet z damage, why not fire?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-22 16:58
That the old fire system is no good, is no big insight. Why don't you elaborate?
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-08-22 17:16
Yes, having all fire extinguish after some time would probably be a good idea. Still, balancing it could prove to be challenging. We also need to make sure that it makes sense for buildings - I actually quite like the CX style where a building never burns down completely on the first try (fire level 1?). Would also make ruins more meaningful.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-08-22 17:52 Edited 2010-08-22 18:04
That is a very old idea and I think I have already implemented it for OC. Just not pushed yet

PS: Just to elaborate a bit:
When you burn the fire has a strength (percentage). Fire below a certain threshold (for example 50%) slowly becomes weaker until it is out. Fire above that threshold slowly grows stronger. If you are hit by a fire arrow when you are already on fire the strength of the fire increases. That means: If you are hit by only one arrow or if you just happen to have bad luck and somehow catch fire, you will no longer be instantly dead. On the other hand standing in the enemy's fire bomb continues to be a bad idea since the strength of the fire will be over that threshold pretty fast
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-22 18:00
°_°
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2010-08-22 18:31
the reducing - increasing system sounds interesting, how understandable is this for the player, when does he now, if his fire becomes weaker or stronger? Visual particle effects?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-22 18:44

>Visual particle effects?

Probably. In the real world there is a clear distinction between "Oh my god my foot is on fire!!!" and being incinerated.
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2010-08-22 23:25
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Idea: Fire