Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / [Request] New features since CR
- - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-26 19:35
For the redesign of the website/the release, I want to include a page where the new features of OC since CR the are listed and explained. I could use your help here because I am awful in writing, I can spend hours over the formulation of a few sentences. Lets collect what all new and shiny in OC / what has been changed.
Parent - - By Mafi [de] Date 2010-08-26 20:23 Edited 2010-08-26 21:30
New features (just listing; no good formulation):
* zooming
* 3D rendering
* losing backwards compability (one could say it's a mis-feature)
* usage of mouse
* better in-game ui
* clonks can hold more things
* agility (moving while jumping)
* diging while hangling / climbing
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-26 20:58
(My take)
In this newest installment of the Clonk series, we've left behind the old shackles and created something more advanced than anything you've ever seen in Clonk.
*The graphics engine has been built upon to render real-time 3D graphics for a clonk experience like no other.
*New Clonk controls fully utilize mouse control, giving you precise control over all the items and weapons.
*Nimbler clonks can dig during climbing or hangling and jump with precision
*New User-Interface allows zooming, crew status display, and inventory management
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-27 11:58
Actually, formulation would be good.
Parent - - By Mafi [de] Date 2010-08-27 13:18
It was just a listing of new features we have so others don't have to think about that. It was an answer espacially to your last senetence:

>Lets collect what all new and shiny in OC / what has been changed.

Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-08-27 13:32
OK, no offense. Just wanted to note that it'd be especially helpful if someone formulates it for the wikipage.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-08-26 20:45

EVER WANTED YOUR FAVOURITE COMPUTER GAME TO BE EVEN MORE AWESOME? NOW WITH NEW AND VERY SHINY ENGINE FEATURES NEVER SEEN BEFORE; AND EVEN MORE TO COME!!!

Parent - By Luchs [us] Date 2010-08-27 04:38
[X]
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2010-08-27 16:43
But my favourite game isn't Clonk :(
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-08-27 19:50
:O ! ~Gasp~
Parent - By AlteredARMOR [ua] Date 2010-08-30 07:00
Well, he didn't say "MOST favourite" :-)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-09 14:56
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-09 17:42 Edited 2010-09-09 17:46
Very nice!

Also: This is clearly targeting the previous Clonk players. There should be a very short description of gameplay features for players new to clonk on the main page or somesch (ie: Pixel Physics, platformer, etc.)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-09 18:06
True. This could go on the about the project page. Above the rather longsome "history" section.
Do you want to try to write something?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-09-11 04:40
Hm, perhaps. I will be very busy in the following couple of days due to organizing college stuff.
Parent - - By Nachtschatten Date 2010-09-09 20:53
Well written. While attempting to translate this, though, I came across some things I'd like to ask you about. I hope I don't ask too obvious things, but I must admit that I haven't been following OC development too close recently.

> The renderer loads models in the Ogre 3D format, a lightweight format for 3d models tailored to be rendered in realtime.

To me, it is not clear what "tailored" relates to. It can both mean that the models are tailored or the format is tailored. Which is it?

> As opposed to the classic sprite graphics, 3D models are much more versatile: First ...

It seems to miss a "Second, ..." or something similar. I can hardly translate it with "Erstens" when there is no "Zweitens". Am I misunderstanding its meaning?

> However this feature is still experimental and does only work for one gamepad.

As the state of gamepad support is unknown to me, does this mean only one gamepad can be used at any time, no matter how many are actually connected? Or is there only one model of gamepads currently supported, e.g. the XBox360 controller and no others?

> Overall, the clonk has been made more agile than before: He can not only move and use stuff while jumping,

This is ambiguous. Does it mean that the Clonk can "not only (move+use stuff) while jumping", or does it mean that the Clonk can "not only (move) and (use stuff while jumping)"? E.g., the first case would translate to "Im Sprung kann er sich nicht nur bewegen und Dinge benutzen", the second one to "Er kann sich nicht nur bewegen, und Zeug im Sprung nutzen, ...".

> All object manipulation functions have been stripped of their respective object parameters. E.g., write clonk->GetX(); instead GetX(clonk)

This is a terrible example, because GetX() does not manipulate an object. You could perhaps say "all functions concerning object state" or something similar. Or give a better example. ;)

> Many functionalities, like climbing ladders, rope physics, bases, workshop or clonk controls have been written in unitized library objects which are then included by the concrete objects.

For easier understanding, you could add that this is like it was with the DOOR object in CR.

> Local named variables are now properties of the object.

First you introduce the data type "proplist" and suddenly talk about properties of objects. You should elaborate that more in detail what a "property" is and how they and proplists relate to each other. Perhaps you could also explain what "proplist" abbreviates. "Property list" if I'm not mistaken? The most important thing I didn't understand here is: How can an object have a property list as property?

I hope you can clear these few things up.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2010-09-10 02:26
I keep meaning to write an introduction to proplists for the documentation. It'd probably be easier to link to that than to try to write an additional short introduction. (Though perhaps "In other languages, proplists would be called objects. Unfortunately, that name was already taken." might work?)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-12 10:27

> To me, it is not clear what "tailored" relates to. It can both mean that the models are tailored or the format is tailored. Which is it?

Both actually ;-). What I meant, though, was the format.

> As the state of gamepad support is unknown to me, does this mean only one gamepad can be used at any time, no matter how many are actually connected? Or is there only one model of gamepads currently supported, e.g. the XBox360 controller and no others?

The first. Only one gamepad can be used.

> For easier understanding, you could add that this is like it was with the DOOR object in CR.

The example with the workshop should work too, because all workshops inherited from the WRKS(?) in CR too. The only problem was, that all workshop-like-objects then had a fundament the size of the workshop because it was never realised as a clean inheritance based on functionalities.
Parent - - By Nachtschatten Date 2010-09-13 16:33
Thank you very much! Now, one more thing. In the translated article, I used your images from the original, but some of them contain English text. Could you give me those images without text in them, so I could translate them as well?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-13 16:49
What do you mean, what translated article?
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2010-09-13 16:54
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-13 17:46
Ah, darn! I wanted to wait with that until we have the release and the new website design. Anyway, there exist none of these images without text. Nachtschatten would have to remake the screens.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2010-09-13 18:17

> Nachtschatten would have to remake the screens.

Bleh.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-13 18:22
Oh, sorry

Edit: No, wait. It WAS Nachtschatten who translated the article, I didn't mix you two up again. What is the "bleh" for, then?
Parent - - By Nachtschatten Date 2010-09-15 15:23 Edited 2010-09-15 15:26

> Ah, darn! I wanted to wait with that

Oh? I'm sorry if I was a bit overeager with bringing this article to a wider audience. I didn't even consider you wanted to wait any more time, as it is publicly viewable and contains so much relevant/informative stuff. I would have asked otherwise, of course.
Well, if that comforts you a little, the changes are very well received so far. :)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-15 15:23
Yeah, was not so important
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-15 21:32
After reading through the HG changelog, I made a big update on http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/New_features_since_Clonk_Rage , especially the C4Script section.

I completely forgot about another great and big, wall-breaking feature of OC because it is optional and you don't see it all the time when you are playing OpenClonk - at least if you are not using it right now: The C4DT Eclipse plugin with the possibility to run a scenario in DEBUG mode(!)
I also added some other stuff and corrected others. Look at the diff if you want to see exactly what I changed.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2010-09-16 09:41
Don't forget that we don't have references anymore. Finally! ;P
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2010-09-16 10:01
I wrote that down already. But I wonder in what dimension this would count as a feature
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2010-09-16 10:38
Was there a performance gain?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2010-09-16 21:09

>Don't forget that we don't have references anymore. Finally! ;P

Yes, I'll never forget that you broke my fire script :(
Parent - - By Gurkenglas [de] Date 2010-09-17 18:28
I always supported c4dt, and was laughed at. Now it is brought to us like a completely new feature. :C.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2010-09-17 22:30
You weren't laughed at because you supported c4dt, but because you submitted "bugs" that the c4dt parser told you without checking that those were actually bugs.
Parent - By Mortimer [de] Date 2010-09-18 02:39
;D
Up Topic General / General / [Request] New features since CR